RPO, RPO, RPO, RPO…blah blah blah

To get the plus one advantage and have the running back be the ball carrier against a 6 man box, the offense must leave a defender unblocked and keep the seventh defender from entering. With the RPO, any run can be used. Some like zone, some like gap based power runs. In this example, the run will be the common inside zone run, and the pass will be a hitch and fade on the front and the backside route will be an out and fade.
View attachment 41291

The quarterback will take the snap and immediately get his eyes to the conflicted defender. If that defender comes downhill to fill the B gap, the quarterback will pull and throw to the slot receiver who is going to make sure to body up and block out any safety who may be coming down to rob. By leaving the linebacker unblocked, the offense gains a plus one in the run game. By separating the field and sending routes deep, it forces safeties to remain out of the run game, ie to keep the seventh defender out. Because the backside is running a speed out, the defender over him will be unable to come into the run box. As defenses adjust to what is happening the offense must continue understand what gaps or passing zones are being left open, or being defended by dual defenders. As long as the offense knows the answer to that question, there is an RPO to attack with. Ultimately, the final chalk lies with a cover zero. At that point, it is my man against your man. Play ball.

Was kaaya just locking into that slot receiver? It seemed he missed a lot of receivers who got seperation downfield.

Advertisement
To get the plus one advantage and have the running back be the ball carrier against a 6 man box, the offense must leave a defender unblocked and keep the seventh defender from entering. With the RPO, any run can be used. Some like zone, some like gap based power runs. In this example, the run will be the common inside zone run, and the pass will be a hitch and fade on the front and the backside route will be an out and fade.
View attachment 41291

The quarterback will take the snap and immediately get his eyes to the conflicted defender. If that defender comes downhill to fill the B gap, the quarterback will pull and throw to the slot receiver who is going to make sure to body up and block out any safety who may be coming down to rob. By leaving the linebacker unblocked, the offense gains a plus one in the run game. By separating the field and sending routes deep, it forces safeties to remain out of the run game, ie to keep the seventh defender out. Because the backside is running a speed out, the defender over him will be unable to come into the run box. As defenses adjust to what is happening the offense must continue understand what gaps or passing zones are being left open, or being defended by dual defenders. As long as the offense knows the answer to that question, there is an RPO to attack with. Ultimately, the final chalk lies with a cover zero. At that point, it is my man against your man. Play ball.

Was kaaya just locking into that slot receiver? It seemed he missed a lot of receivers who got seperation downfield.

At times yes BUT it goes back to the video he posted. If they play man-free it's hat v. hat so that means your players literally have to be better than the opposing guy. Our O-line in almost every game weren't hat v. hat better than the d-line...which obviously would take away from allowing those outside plays to fully develop because they were getting beat

View attachment 41291

At times yes BUT it goes back to the video he posted. If they play man-free it's hat v. hat so that means your players literally have to be better than the opposing guy. Our O-line in almost every game weren't hat v. hat better than the d-line...which obviously would take away from allowing those outside plays to fully develop because they were getting beat

Copy

So class I just had to school these Rookies on this wrinkle which is what Richt is trying to do with the run game.

Now so that we are clear about the The Read Option Run:

What we run is essentially play action pass game . Use the run to set up the passing game - old as the hills .
The read option run - is a wrinkle but an evolution of the read option pass or play action pass.

Now I'm sure CanesOnlyDenseCity will join us in just a second to add insight.

Last edited:
Advertisement
So class I just had to school these Rookies on this wrinkle which is what Richt is trying to do with the run game.

What we run is essentially play action pass game . Use the run to set up the passing game - old as the hills .
The read option run - is a wrinkle but an evolution of the read option pass or play action pass.

lmao

lmao

You're still struggling with the original topic huh? Maybe it's the read option run wrinkle...Hang in there buddy you'll catch up.

lmao

You're still struggling with the original topic huh? Maybe it's the read option run wrinkle...Hang in there buddy you'll catch up.

Well apparently you're still struggling with the fact you don't know what you're talking about...you once told me college kids can run options routes containing 20 different routes and used Calvin Johnson playing in the NFL to try and prove you were right...even though we were talking college and not the NFL. I still get chuckles about that from time to time

lmao

Well apparently you're still struggling with the fact you don't know what you're talking about...you once told me college kids can run options routes containing 20 different routes and used Calvin Johnson playing in the NFL to try and prove you were right...even though we were talking college and not the NFL. I still get chuckles about that from time to time

And if you keep on following Macho you will get schooled again today. However, I prefer to get back to the original discussion. Moro Brings The Good News!!!

Last edited:
Advertisement

lmao

And if you keep on following Macho you will get schooled again today. Moro Brings The Good News!!!
Ok W.E. You say [MENTION=13930]Cubana[/MENTION]

Is/was the RPO a part of Richt's shallow cross or fast break offenses he made his name on? Is Richt's apparent dedication to the RPO new or was it a part of his offense at Georgia? I appreciate any input from the X's & O's guys around here. Thanks in advance.

Go Canes!

No. I can't recall seeing RPO in his FSU fast-break, and to be honest I never watched the 5 seasons or so he coached at UGA before he took a step back. I do recall a lot of play-action but it was never an option read back then. OP has no clue what he's talking about. Richt has no "read option run" game with Kaaya, and he had Rosier pull it down and run once in garbage time but I truly believe it was because he didn't want him throwing the ball at all and we may have been running out the clock.. People need to use the internet to understand the difference between read option and RPO. They are not the synonymous concepts, and I'm baffled at the constant blathering without understanding.

I think Richt's core concepts are the same and he's going to add some RPO and maybe zone reads (read option) from the shotgun. I imagine he still will be multiple with formations (lots of 2TE) and run a ton of pro-set offense, but I think as a play-calling guru he want's all the weapons available to his ****nal and he sees how athleticism at the QB position can mask deficiencies.. His system is about tempo and execution within a running-based offense to set up play-action.

Don't recall the frequency, but we ran RPO in 2015 with Coley.

At :31 & 1:01 of this video, Kaaya hits Coley for a 67 yd TD, & Njoku for a 58 yd. gain.

But I disagree with this notion that you need an elite OL or protection to make it work...how elite do you have to be to not block a defender?...or to run a 7th man out the box like in Macho's example?

[video=youtube;PahslZLYcF4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PahslZLYcF4[/video]

Is/was the RPO a part of Richt's shallow cross or fast break offenses he made his name on? Is Richt's apparent dedication to the RPO new or was it a part of his offense at Georgia? I appreciate any input from the X's & O's guys around here. Thanks in advance.

Go Canes!

No. I can't recall seeing RPO in his FSU fast-break, and to be honest I never watched the 5 seasons or so he coached at UGA before he took a step back. I do recall a lot of play-action but it was never an option read back then. OP has no clue what he's talking about. Richt has no "read option run" game with Kaaya, and he had Rosier pull it down and run once in garbage time but I truly believe it was because he didn't want him throwing the ball at all and we may have been running out the clock.. People need to use the internet to understand the difference between read option and RPO. They are not the synonymous concepts, and I'm baffled at the constant blathering without understanding.

I think Richt's core concepts are the same and he's going to add some RPO and maybe zone reads (read option) from the shotgun. I imagine he still will be multiple with formations (lots of 2TE) and run a ton of pro-set offense, but I think as a play-calling guru he want's all the weapons available to his ****nal and he sees how athleticism at the QB position can mask deficiencies.. His system is about tempo and execution within a running-based offense to set up play-action.

Thanks M-P. Appreciate the input.

Go Canes!

Advertisement
Here's a huge Thank You to whoever banned Moro. You've done a great service to this site, and furthered the cause of humanity in general.

Another person who doesn't know what an RPO is. Why can't we sticky an RPO thread so that we don't run into this garbage every day?

It's because the OP continually copies and pastes from USFootball without deciding whether or not his plagiarized material matches his subject line

Taking an unbiased view of what the OP has said about, "The Read Option Run" he is actually right (correct) about it being a wrinkle in RPO where it is an evolution of the read option pass or play action pass game. Not only can you see it in use in the Virginia game above @0:31 in the play with Coley in the slot and Kaaya chooses the WR in the slot taking advantage of the LB playing run and therefore out of his pass coverage responsibilities in the middle of the field. Which is further verified with the OL slanting down at the snap. I could breakdown the WV game the same but that has seem to touch a nerve with the OP being correct in both cases and God knows I don't need that drama. lol

But I would say to ban a user for backing up his information as being valid is hypocritical especially in his on thread where there are tons of violations (derailing, name calling, hijacking, etc) by other users. God forbid Pete ever gets banned when Perry ends up the starter game one and revisits the current thread with "I told ya". To close, I don't know about you all but I really learned a lot from this Brother regarding football. You guys have learned a lot about what RPO is from other posters but I think we may have missed an opportunity to understand the "analytics" in what is required to consistently run RPO with long-term success which he pointed out as the thesis of his thread. But sometimes we may need to swallow our pride and just admit that there are others who may know more than us and our friends. Now, I'm almost certain that I to may reap the same fate but DMoney and Andrew need to tell the other Admins to lighten up (emotionally) on the bans and infractions especially now that we are in a dead period and will soon be entering the off season. Thank you Moro for the information!!!

Last edited:
Advertisement
Taking an unbiased view of what the OP has said about, "The Read Option Run" he is actually right about it being a wrinkle in RPO where it is an evolution of the read option pass or play action pass game. Not only can you see it in use in the Virginia game above @0:31 in the play with Coley in the slot and Kaaya chooses the WR in the slot taking advantage of the LB playing run and therefore out of his pass coverage responsibilities in the middle of the field. Which is further verified with the OL slanting down at the snap. I could breakdown the WV game the same but that has seem to touch a nerve with the OP being right in both cases and God knows I don't need that drama. lol

But I would say to ban a user for backing up his information as being valid is hipper critical especially in his on thread where there are tons of violations (derailing, name calling, hijacking, etc) by other us. God forbid Pete ever gets banned when Perry ends up the starter game one and revisits the current thread with "I told ya". To close I don't know about you all but I really learned a lot from this Brother regarding football. You got learned a lot about what RPO is from other posters but I think we may have missed an opportunity to understand the "analytics" in what is required to consistently run RPO with long-term success which he pointed out as the thesis of his thread. Now, I'm almost certain that I to may reap the same fate but DMoney and Andrew need to tell the other Admins to lighten up (emotions) on the bans and infractions especially now that we are in a dead period and will soon be entering the off season. Thanks you Moro for the in formation!!!

LOL hipper critical! And no, Moro was not right.

Taking an unbiased view of what the OP has said about, "The Read Option Run" he is actually right about it being a wrinkle in RPO where it is an evolution of the read option pass or play action pass game. Not only can you see it in use in the Virginia game above @0:31 in the play with Coley in the slot and Kaaya chooses the WR in the slot taking advantage of the LB playing run and therefore out of his pass coverage responsibilities in the middle of the field. Which is further verified with the OL slanting down at the snap. I could breakdown the WV game the same but that has seem to touch a nerve with the OP being correct in both cases and God knows I don't need that drama. lol

But I would say to ban a user for backing up his information as being valid is hypocritical especially in his on thread where there are tons of violations (derailing, name calling, hijacking, etc) by other users. God forbid Pete ever gets banned when Perry ends up the starter game one and revisits the current thread with "I told ya". To close, I don't know about you all but I really learned a lot from this Brother regarding football. You learned a lot about what RPO is from other posters but I think we may have missed an opportunity to understand the "analytics" in what is required to consistently run RPO with long-term success which he pointed out as the thesis of his thread. But sometimes we may need to swallow our pride and just admit that there are others who may know more than us and our friends. Now, I'm almost certain that I to may reap the same fate but DMoney and Andrew need to tell the other Admins to lighten up (emotionally) on the bans and infractions especially now that we are in a dead period and will soon be entering the off season. Thank you Moro for the in formation!!!

LOL hipper critical! And no, Moro was not right.

Oh sorry about that, you know spell check does not always translate Ebonics properly into English. lol However, again I think that this is where you and I failed to get the knowledge about this wrinkle. You and I can't say we know it all about the game of football. This is a game of deception and Moro actually did an excellent job breaking "The Read Option Run" game down. And obviously some didn't like it but maybe one would sing a different tune had it came from a DMoney or Pete? Well absolutely, right?

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back