Rousseau commits!

One of the most interesting prospects in the class.

I know we're recruiting Rousseau as a pass rusher but I like him in McCloud's role as LB on the field side. That will enable him to use his length and movement skills playing in space.

Like @Mahoney-Pearson said, he has great bend and can tackle in the open field. Maybe he's a natural pass rusher, but the highlights don't show it and he has a ways to go from a strength perspective. Either way, he will be pretty unique.

that's the issue I have with guys saying /...oh hes like "Randy Gregory..hes like Barkevious Mingo". I would eat a 205-220 pd de for breakfast and most college tackles would. His RANGE is what makes him unique....coming off the edge..matched up against ....rb's. He doesn't have much tape doing it..but I see him at the SLB. Brian Burns is light..but the kid is pretty strong and played in the trenches his whole hs career. This kid has more athletic ability in the open space...with some pass rush ability.Line him up on the wide side and disguise what he will be doing.
Rousseau said he's being recruited to play the Viper position same spot as Joe Jackson so I guess the coaches see what you dont

Please don't mention this kid with that freak named Joe Jackson.. At the same age Joe Jackson was 235 of all muscle. This kid is a rail tipping at about 210-215 the most currently..at a taller more wiry frame. **** Urban Meyer still sees all skill position guiys as the next Percy HARVIN. **** tell them whatever they want to hear to get them to commit. I like his commit if he is a guy that is going to play SLB and rush the passer from time to time. Close out the LB class with Rosendo Louis, Reese, Sherwood..and were set.

Advertisement

I know we're recruiting Rousseau as a pass rusher but I like him in McCloud's role as LB on the field side. That will enable him to use his length and movement skills playing in space.

Like @Mahoney-Pearson said, he has great bend and can tackle in the open field. Maybe he's a natural pass rusher, but the highlights don't show it and he has a ways to go from a strength perspective. Either way, he will be pretty unique.

that's the issue I have with guys saying /...oh hes like "Randy Gregory..hes like Barkevious Mingo". I would eat a 205-220 pd de for breakfast and most college tackles would. His RANGE is what makes him unique....coming off the edge..matched up against ....rb's. He doesn't have much tape doing it..but I see him at the SLB. Brian Burns is light..but the kid is pretty strong and played in the trenches his whole hs career. This kid has more athletic ability in the open space...with some pass rush ability.Line him up on the wide side and disguise what he will be doing.
I don't see the OLB skills required from the Mccloud role in his highlight video. Have you gotten to see him live? His highlight video is almost 50% WR jumpballs and him boxing kids out. About 20% chasing plays down from deep. Another 20% coming straight downhill in space. Then about 10% assorted playmaking. He's a really intriguing athlete for sure, but not sure how to pull a position projection, much less OLB, from the clips. At least for DE he flashes length, chase and some of the minimal lateral ability needed to play WDE. Still tough to pull a specific projection from the existing video.

exactly I see all the same as you LU ...which is why I don't know where this kid projects. I like him more personally as an SLB. Some guys on here like him as a DE..i tdont think they realize 220 pd de's aint cutting it in big time football. I think they need to advise him to play a lot of LB this year for Champagnat so we can see his additional skill and he can get use to playing the position some what. He looks better on offense right now, That camp last year he must showed extreme skill in space for them...because they seemed all over him since then.

I guess they see him as a Jumbo Athlete.....I liked Leonard Floyd at UGA...but Floyd seemed to be more athletic than him, but I can see him being used in that way. Either way I think he is a shirt candidate...add to it he goes to Champagnat who I don't ever think have a kid qualify right away in football. Hopefully his academics are good.

Rousseau said he's being recruited to play the Viper position same spot as Joe Jackson so I guess the coaches see what you dont

Please don't mention this kid with that freak named Joe Jackson.. At the same age Joe Jackson was 235 of all muscle. This kid is a rail tipping at about 210-215 the most currently..at a taller more wiry frame. **** Urban Meyer still sees all skill position guiys as the next Percy HARVIN. **** tell them whatever they want to hear to get them to commit. I like his commit if he is a guy that is going to play SLB and rush the passer from time to time. Close out the LB class with Rosendo Louis, Reese, Sherwood..and were set.

Are you dumb? I didn't compare them I said he's being recruited at the same position and the tell them what they wana hear routine works on a kid who has a preference of positions this kid doesn't care where he plays on defense so what sense would it make for them to make that up if they dont have any plans for him to work there?

Last edited:

Are you dumb? I didn't compare them I said he's being recruited at the same position

Joe Jackson plays Weakside DE. Viper aint a spot that we saw on this team last season. All Joe Jackson did was play defensive end, this kid was worked out at 3 different levels by our coaches at camp. Safe to say...he aint playing JUST the same position as Joe Jackson.

Advertisement
[

Are you dumb? I didn't compare them I said he's being recruited at the same position

Joe Jackson plays Weakside DE. Viper aint a spot that we saw on this team last season. All Joe Jackson did was play defensive end, this kid was worked out at 3 different levels by our coaches at camp. Safe to say...he aint playing JUST the same position as Joe Jackson.

LOL Its not a position we've seen? So why is it on depth charts that were released last season?

IMG_3227.jpgIMG_3228.jpg

Last edited:

I hear what you're saying about Brian Burns strength and experience in the trenches, but I saw Brian Burns at Heritage last spring and he didn't appear any bulkier than Rousseau.

Just because he makes some tackles in space, coming downhill or chasing, doesn't mean it matches what Mccloud's role in Diaz's defense requires.

As we've discussed, the tape doesn't show anything conclusively. He may end up being a completely different player physically than what we are looking at today.

But he has to play somewhere, and I don't see anything yet suggesting DE except his length. We don't see his power or strength, he looks faster over distance than short-area twitchy (which is essential to a DE projection), and he doesn't rush the passer once in his clips.

The bend to break down in space, the ability to cover ground and the ball skills/length all translate to a LB like McCloud who spends the majority of the time on the field side of the defense. There's more to it than that, obviously, but those are the things that have me leaning LB over DE as we sit here today.

To add to my post above, I think it's telling that Champagnat played him at S instead of rushing the passer. Most high school teams down here will put their best big defensive athletes in an pure attack role close to the line.

Champagnat played him at safety, which tells me that they like his long speed to clean up on the back end more than his short-area burst to disrupt on the front end.

Advertisement
Congratulations! I'll let the coaches position him. Hopefully he comes in hungry and makes the most of this opportunity.

Just because he makes some tackles in space, coming downhill or chasing, doesn't mean it matches what Mccloud's role in Diaz's defense requires.

We don't see his power or strength, he looks faster over distance than short-area twitchy (which is essential to a DE projection), and he doesn't rush the passer once in his clips.

The bend to break down in space, the ability to cover ground and the ball skills/length all translate to a LB like McCloud who spends the majority of the time on the field side of the defense. There's more to it than that, obviously, but those are the things that have me leaning LB over DE as we sit here today.
Got it. The short area twitchiness is also essential to McCloud's role, though. No doubt we'd need to see how he engages and disengages against OL, but we'd also need to see him change direction to play OLB. Maybe that's apparent in his Safety play not showing up in the video clips.

Sounds like we're not that far apart in terms of how we see him: an athlete whose position is still in formation. You seem to lean to OLB, while I really have no idea but would lean to a player mostly being sent at the QB - especially if he shows up here at 6' 6" 220. To me, everything people say about him makes him sound like a hybrid player.

Last edited:
No worries , Teddywaistline just pm'd me his weight gain plan. He thinks he can have him up to 255 by November

Advertisement

We definitely saw some of what is being described as Viper last season--particularly from Trent Harris

I looked up "viper position in football" on the internet. Several schools use it. Here is a paragraph about Ohio State's use of the viper:

The Viper is a hybrid between a defensive end and outside linebacker. Ohio State's Viper aligns in a 2-point stance even though he is a defensive lineman. The Viper often aligns away from the offensive strength, outside the backside tackle or end on the line of scrimmage. The Viper is smaller than a 5-technique, and he must be long and athletic, with a greater emphasis on pass-rushing ability. The Viper is also occasionally called to drop into coverage. As with Washington, his sophomore counterpart Noah Spence is a prototypical fit for the position, and will look to build upon an impressive freshman campaign.

We definitely saw some of what is being described as Viper last season--particularly from Trent Harris
What were the ways you saw him used as a hybrid? I remember guys (Harris) standing up, but not the consistent zone drops you'd expect from a hybrid OLB/DE position. Maybe missed it.

Last edited:
Advertisement
This fellow wasn't the biggest coming out of HS either. Maybe he'll fill out like him....

calais.jpg

I'll be honest, this is the first questionable commit in my eyes. He's a unique player but I think he'd be there for the taking later on in the process.

What other offers does he hold?

His better offers are Georgia, LSU, Oregon and USC....

I'll be honest, this is the first questionable commit in my eyes. He's a unique player but I think he'd be there for the taking later on in the process.

What other offers does he hold?

Advertisement
Back