Rosier question for D$

ghost2

Retired staff
Premium
Or anyone that's observed fall practice over the years -

Based on his fall camp, how would Rosier's performance stack up with previous QBs? How would you compare his ability to run our offense effectively to, say, a guy like Stephen Morris? Is Rosier more Kenny Kelly or Derrick Crudup?

Just curious for some context as we head toward the season.

Advertisement
Im curious to see how Richt uses his mobility. Will they use more bootlegs, rolling the pocket out or QB draws. These are all things that were not seen much last year that i think tailors to Rosier's abilities. All of this on top of the RPO.

Honestly, I think we'll see less "true" RPO this year with Rosier (i.e. less of him having to decide whether to handoff or pass post-snap.) Rather, I think/hope Richt will call some designed QB draws, boots, etc. to limit Rosier's post-snap decision-making and allow him to play fast, at least initially. Like that video of USF that Lu posted in this thread: https://www.canesinsight.com/thread/dmoney/121078

Last edited:
Honestly, I think we'll see less "true" RPO this year with Rosier (i.e. less of him having to decide whether to run or pass post-snap.) Rather, I think/hope Richt will call some designed QB draws, boots, etc. to limit Rosier's post-snap decision-making and allow him to play fast, at least initially. Like that video of USF that Lu posted in this thread: https://www.canesinsight.com/thread/dmoney/121078

They really need to re-name the RPO.

The runner is the RB, the passer is the QB. It's not designed for the QB to run with the ball, that's a different offensive scheme altogether. The decision is whether the QB hands the ball off to the RB or passes the ball to his receiver, based on his read of the key defender.

Obviously the QB CAN run, but they can do that on every passing down.

I'm thinking a Stephen Morris like level of play, without as much arm strength.

Probably some stretches where he looks really good, with some stretches of poor accuracy/bad misses and band decisions/int's. But definitely better than Kelly/Crudup.

Like Morris, Rosier can be mobile in the pocket, but I don't really see him ads a running QB. Re-watching the Clemson/Duke games it seems much more natural for him to stay in the pocket than to tuck it and run.

I could definitely be wrong - but I feel like Richt will have confidence that he can run the offense already in place vs. installing a bunch of draws/boots/roll-outs specifically for Rosier. A couple new wrinkles here and there, but for the most part the same offense as last year.

Advertisement
Honestly, I think we'll see less "true" RPO this year with Rosier (i.e. less of him having to decide whether to run or pass post-snap.) Rather, I think/hope Richt will call some designed QB draws, boots, etc. to limit Rosier's post-snap decision-making and allow him to play fast, at least initially. Like that video of USF that Lu posted in this thread: https://www.canesinsight.com/thread/dmoney/121078

The runner is the RB, the passer is the QB. It's not designed for the QB to run with the ball, that's a different offensive scheme altogether. The decision is whether the QB hands the ball off to the RB or passes the ball to his receiver, based on his read of the key defender.

Sorry, typo. I edited my post - I meant limiting Rosier's decision to handoff or pass post-snap. Although the threat of a running QB does add a third dimension to the RPO.

Based on his fall camp, how would Rosier's performance stack up with previous QBs? How would you compare his ability to run our offense effectively to, say, a guy like Stephen Morris? Is Rosier more Kenny Kelly or Derrick Crudup?

Won't speak for D$, but I did not get the impression he interpreted Stephen Morris level of play at all. I'm just trying to temper expectations here.

My guess is it'll be a complete surprise as to what level of play we'll see in games. It's like the action in a jack in the box, but a different character each time the thing springs up. Woo!

Last edited:

Exactly. The "R" in RPO pertains to the running back, not the QB. Rosier's mobility might help prevent some sacks on passing plays but it won't be a factor in the RPO the way some people are envisioning.

Advertisement
Honestly, I think we'll see less "true" RPO this year with Rosier (i.e. less of him having to decide whether to handoff or pass post-snap.) Rather, I think/hope Richt will call some designed QB draws, boots, etc. to limit Rosier's post-snap decision-making and allow him to play fast, at least initially. Like that video of USF that Lu posted in this thread: https://www.canesinsight.com/thread/dmoney/121078

Curious to know what kind of offense/routes was being run throughout the fall when he was throwing the picks, and why he was throwing them. Is he throwing 50/50 balls that the DBs are making plays on? Is he making poor pre-snap reads? Misreading coverage post-snap?

That's all got to go into the play calling.

Probably some stretches where he looks really good, with some stretches of poor accuracy/bad misses and band decisions/int's. But definitely better than Kelly/Crudup.

Like Morris, Rosier can be mobile in the pocket, but I don't really see him ads a running QB. Re-watching the Clemson/Duke games it seems much more natural for him to stay in the pocket than to tuck it and run.

I could definitely be wrong - but I feel like Richt will have confidence that he can run the offense already in place vs. installing a bunch of draws/boots/roll-outs specifically for Rosier. A couple new wrinkles here and there, but for the most part the same offense as last year.

Rozier has a stronger arm than kaaya and a little less than Stephen Morris

Won't speak for D$, but I did not get the impression he interpreted Stephen Morris level of play at all. I'm just trying to temper expectations here.

My guess is it'll be a complete surprise as to what level of play we'll see in games. It's like the action in a jack in the box, but a different character each time the thing springs up. Woo!

giphy.gif

If you're speaking to Rosier's level of consistency that's....concerning.

Advertisement
Morris was better in practice but we have to wait until the actual games to see how Rosier reacts to full contact. He could be a gamer.

Exactly. The "R" in RPO pertains to the running back, not the QB. Rosier's mobility might help prevent some sacks on passing plays but it won't be a factor in the RPO the way some people are envisioning.

You forgot to mention the"O". Correct me if im wrong...the QB reads the 7th defender with the option to run, pass or hand it off....the QB has many options in this offense depends in how you dial it up.

Morris was better in practice but we have to wait until the actual games to see how Rosier reacts to full contact. He could be a gamer.

Interesting. Is there a UM (or other) quarterback that you might compare him to then? Again, just looking for context right now because depending on who you ask, Rosier is either gonna be Johnny Manziel or Kirby Freeman.

Advertisement

You forgot to mention the"O". Correct me if im wrong...the QB reads the 7th defender with the option to run, pass or hand it off....the QB has many options in this offense depends in how you dial it up.
No. The option is literally run (handoff to RB) or pass (QB).

Hoping he's more like the collegiate Russell Wilson!

Rozier has a stronger arm than kaaya and a little less than Stephen Morris

How do you know this?

Advertisement
Back