Rosier question for D$

Honestly, I think we'll see less "true" RPO this year with Rosier (i.e. less of him having to decide whether to handoff or pass post-snap.) Rather, I think/hope Richt will call some designed QB draws, boots, etc. to limit Rosier's post-snap decision-making and allow him to play fast, at least initially. Like that video of USF that Lu posted in this thread: https://www.canesinsight.com/thread/dmoney/121078

Curious to know what kind of offense/routes was being run throughout the fall when he was throwing the picks, and why he was throwing them. Is he throwing 50/50 balls that the DBs are making plays on? Is he making poor pre-snap reads? Misreading coverage post-snap?

That's all got to go into the play calling.

I was at the Spring scrimmage and one of the picks he threw was a 50/50 ball that Malek Young made a **** of a play on. I wasn't even mad at the pick because it's very rare a college CB makes a play like that. He also had a few big time throws that led to big plays in that scrimmage.

Advertisement
I'm thinking a Stephen Morris like level of play, without as much arm strength.

Probably some stretches where he looks really good, with some stretches of poor accuracy/bad misses and band decisions/int's. But definitely better than Kelly/Crudup.

Like Morris, Rosier can be mobile in the pocket, but I don't really see him ads a running QB. Re-watching the Clemson/Duke games it seems much more natural for him to stay in the pocket than to tuck it and run.

I could definitely be wrong - but I feel like Richt will have confidence that he can run the offense already in place vs. installing a bunch of draws/boots/roll-outs specifically for Rosier. A couple new wrinkles here and there, but for the most part the same offense as last year.

Rozier has a stronger arm than kaaya and a little less than Stephen Morris

How do you know this?

It sure didn't look that way at the spring game last year. Rosier's arm strength looked average and he had questionable accuracy. Kaaya clearly had the better arm talent then. I can't say what he's looked like this season.

9 more days and we'll all see with our own eyes what he and everyone else looks like. I can't ******* wait to have observed football to actually discuss.

Honestly, I think we'll see less "true" RPO this year with Rosier (i.e. less of him having to decide whether to run or pass post-snap.) Rather, I think/hope Richt will call some designed QB draws, boots, etc. to limit Rosier's post-snap decision-making and allow him to play fast, at least initially. Like that video of USF that Lu posted in this thread: https://www.canesinsight.com/thread/dmoney/121078

They really need to re-name the RPO.

The runner is the RB, the passer is the QB. It's not designed for the QB to run with the ball, that's a different offensive scheme altogether. The decision is whether the QB hands the ball off to the RB or passes the ball to his receiver, based on his read of the key defender.

Obviously the QB CAN run, but they can do that on every passing down.
Exactly. The "R" in RPO pertains to the running back, not the QB. Rosier's mobility might help prevent some sacks on passing plays but it won't be a factor in the RPO the way some people are envisioning.

You forgot to mention the"O". Correct me if im wrong...the QB reads the 7th defender with the option to run, pass or hand it off....the QB has many options in this offense depends in how you dial it up.
No. The option is literally run (handoff to RB) or pass (QB).

I guess we can agree to disagree.

The runner is the RB, the passer is the QB. It's not designed for the QB to run with the ball, that's a different offensive scheme altogether. The decision is whether the QB hands the ball off to the RB or passes the ball to his receiver, based on his read of the key defender.

Exactly. The "R" in RPO pertains to the running back, not the QB. Rosier's mobility might help prevent some sacks on passing plays but it won't be a factor in the RPO the way some people are envisioning.

You forgot to mention the"O". Correct me if im wrong...the QB reads the 7th defender with the option to run, pass or hand it off....the QB has many options in this offense depends in how you dial it up.

But you are wrong and he is right. The O refers to the "option" to hand it to the rb or throw the ball.

Agree to disagree?? Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Advertisement
Morris was better in practice but we have to wait until the actual games to see how Rosier reacts to full contact. He could be a gamer.

Interesting. Is there a UM (or other) quarterback that you might compare him to then? Again, just looking for context right now because depending on who you ask, Rosier is either gonna be Johnny Manziel or Kirby Freeman.

Please not Kirnobyl.

I'm thinking a Stephen Morris like level of play, without as much arm strength.

Probably some stretches where he looks really good, with some stretches of poor accuracy/bad misses and band decisions/int's. But definitely better than Kelly/Crudup.

Like Morris, Rosier can be mobile in the pocket, but I don't really see him ads a running QB. Re

Exactly, this is pure guessing. How did 5 people like this post? There is absolutely zero evidence or facts to back this statement up. The best is the last blurb where he states "I could be completely wrong"

I honestly hope we do not see as many run out of him as people are expecting. Hope his mobility is useful for keeping plays alive and for very specific situations. Reality is we are TRULLY ****ed if he goes down, since the guys behind him are really limited and would mean a downshift for the O.

Or anyone that's observed fall practice over the years -

Based on his fall camp, how would Rosier's performance stack up with previous QBs? How would you compare his ability to run our offense effectively to, say, a guy like Stephen Morris? Is Rosier more Kenny Kelly or Derrick Crudup?

Just curious for some context as we head toward the season.
Won't speak for D$, but I did not get the impression he interpreted Stephen Morris level of play at all. I'm just trying to temper expectations here.

My guess is it'll be a complete surprise as to what level of play we'll see in games. It's like the action in a jack in the box, but a different character each time the thing springs up. Woo!

The overall implication that I am going to be surprised by a different Rosier each time he drops back is not exactly soothing or comforting.

Advertisement
He doesn't need to be a "running" QB. A few scrambles on broken plays for first downs as well as a few read option keepers is more than enough to keep the defense honest and have them commit a LB/S to read. On those awful read option type plays run with Kaaya, the DE crashed every single time since there was no threat of Kaaya running. That DE limited Waltons ability to cut back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No. That's not how it works. It's not an opinion or a referendum where everyone gets to vote. It's an objective fact. Objective, being opposite from subjective, means that there is a definitive right and wrong answer. [MENTION=1699]JimmyJohnsonsHair[/MENTION] is right. An offensive system where the design is for the QB to throw it or keep it and run it based on his read is called a read option.

But you are wrong and he is right. The O refers to the "option" to hand it to the rb or throw the ball.

Agree to disagree?? Lol

If the D decides to switch to man before the snap does the QB then have the option to read the end and take off? Why do you see QBs pull it back then take off Miami isnt the only one rinning RPO.

Advertisement
Honestly, I think we'll see less "true" RPO this year with Rosier (i.e. less of him having to decide whether to run or pass post-snap.) Rather, I think/hope Richt will call some designed QB draws, boots, etc. to limit Rosier's post-snap decision-making and allow him to play fast, at least initially. Like that video of USF that Lu posted in this thread: https://www.canesinsight.com/thread/dmoney/121078

There were plays last year where Kaaya would hand off then fake like he was keeping it and running (as if). That seems to imply that a QB run could be an option in Richt's offense. If possible, I think the ideal would be to have a QB run as a credible threat as it's one more thing for the D to worry about. I'm not saying Rosier is or should be a true dual threat QB, but a few designed runs might help loosen things up.

I guess it all comes down to what he's able to do well in games. Hopefully Richt figures that out quickly and uses it to our advantage.

Essentially The RPO is just choosing an OPTION to either Run or Pass.

Louisville and the Tennessee titans run an rpo that allows the qb the option to run as well.

youll see the qb read the perimeter. pull the ball and act like hes going to take off, then when the corner bites he throws it to the wide open wr in the flats.

So, although originally, its not a zone read or triple option its become more of a hybrid with athletic qbs.

Agree to disagree?? Lol

If the D decides to switch to man before the snap does the QB then have the option to read the end and take off? Why do you see QBs pull it back then take off Miami isnt the only one rinning RPO.

Point 1: I know of no defense where switching to man coverage effects the DE read. The only two I can think of where the DE is in any sort of coverage at all is a zone blitz where the DE might be asked to drop into the flat or cover the middle, and e QB/RB spy. Very seldom in college do DE's have the skills to cover, and if he's spying the QB/RB the read would be to pass it anyway rather than to run it at the spy.

Point 2: Not every play where a QB runs the ball is designed that way. In fact, most aren't. What we're talking about with RPO's and Read Options is the specific way the play is designed.

Re-watch the App State game from last year. The key in that game was the edge defender's leverage. If he's leveraging the slot receiver, run. If he leverages down to help with the run, arrow/bubble route combo.

Advertisement

Louisville and the Tennessee titans run an rpo that allows the qb the option to run as well.

youll see the qb read the perimeter. pull the ball and act like hes going to take off, then when the corner bites he throws it to the wide open wr in the flats.

So, although originally, its not a zone read or triple option its become more of a hybrid with athletic qbs.

I actually started a thread last season asking why we couldn't do that exact same thing and was told by many a X's and O's guru here at CiS "That's not how it works"

fkn lulz

I actually started a thread last season asking why we couldn't do that exact same thing and was told by many a X's and O's guru here at CiS "That's not how it works"

fkn lulz

hahaha I remember that too. I think its cause its not very common and you have to have a **** good athlete to get it done. hence why two Heisman trophy winners are the only qbs I see running it.

Real football can't get here soon enough. Most responses on here are clouded by their personal agenda. Coach Richt sees enough in Malik that he's confident giving him the keys. So until proven otherwise, I'm rolling with #12 .

fkn lulz

hahaha I remember that too. I think its cause its not very common and you have to have a **** good athlete to get it done. hence why two Heisman trophy winners are the only qbs I see running it.

Most good teams have athletic qbs. https://youtu.be/23w4CSYj740

Advertisement
Back