Rosier question for D$

La Bamba does not have better arm talent than Kaaya. But why should anyone care? He clearly has more than enough to be a Power 5 quarterback. What matters is pocket presence and decision making under fire, which will be tested behind a shaky line. If Kaaya had Dorsey's line, he'd be a wealthy man today. But he didn't. And La Bamba won't have anything close to it, either. Let's pray he's got a bit more savvy and clarity of mind than Kaaya under pressure. I think people fail to understand how much Kaaya's immobility handicapped the offense. La Bamba may not be Michael Vick, but he can scoot. Defenses will have to be aware of that. We can actually bootleg this year. And teams will finally have to account for quarterback run on roll outs. Can't wait!

Advertisement
La Bamba does not have better arm talent than Kaaya. But why should anyone care? He clearly has more than enough to be a Power 5 quarterback. What matters is pocket presence and decision making under fire, which will be tested behind a shaky line. If Kaaya had Dorsey's line, he'd be a wealthy man today. But he didn't. And La Bamba won't have anything close to it, either. Let's pray he's got a bit more savvy and clarity of mind than Kaaya under pressure. I think people fail to understand how much Kaaya's immobility handicapped the offense. La Bamba may not be Michael Vick, but he can scoot. Defenses will have to be aware of that. We can actually bootleg this year. And teams will finally have to account for quarterback run on roll outs. Can't wait!

bob-from-la-bamba-o.gif

Honestly, I think we'll see less "true" RPO this year with Rosier (i.e. less of him having to decide whether to run or pass post-snap.) Rather, I think/hope Richt will call some designed QB draws, boots, etc. to limit Rosier's post-snap decision-making and allow him to play fast, at least initially. Like that video of USF that Lu posted in this thread: https://www.canesinsight.com/thread/dmoney/121078

They really need to re-name the RPO.

The runner is the RB, the passer is the QB. It's not designed for the QB to run with the ball, that's a different offensive scheme altogether. The decision is whether the QB hands the ball off to the RB or passes the ball to his receiver, based on his read of the key defender.

Obviously the QB CAN run, but they can do that on every passing down.
Exactly. The "R" in RPO pertains to the running back, not the QB. Rosier's mobility might help prevent some sacks on passing plays but it won't be a factor in the RPO the way some people are envisioning.

That's true because the initial read is whether or not the linebacker and/or corner vacates the area. The read is not on the defensive end. What makes the play effective is the offensive line executes a run block and is allowed to go downfield 3 yards. If the rules changed to 1 yard like the NFL, then you'd see a lot less of it or at least how the NFL runs it. Our problem last year is the defensive end would crash down on Walton and the linebacker either pattern-matched or spot drop taking away the pass read. Kaaya was no threat whatsoever to pull the ball and run. You have a kid who can and the defensive end has to respect that.

I was at a high school clinic 2 weeks ago and one of the best high school coaches in the area said he teaches linebackers and corners to read the #2 receiver. He gives up the play and they pattern match.

Honestly, I think we'll see less "true" RPO this year with Rosier (i.e. less of him having to decide whether to run or pass post-snap.) Rather, I think/hope Richt will call some designed QB draws, boots, etc. to limit Rosier's post-snap decision-making and allow him to play fast, at least initially. Like that video of USF that Lu posted in this thread: https://www.canesinsight.com/thread/dmoney/121078

They really need to re-name the RPO.

The runner is the RB, the passer is the QB. It's not designed for the QB to run with the ball, that's a different offensive scheme altogether. The decision is whether the QB hands the ball off to the RB or passes the ball to his receiver, based on his read of the key defender.

Obviously the QB CAN run, but they can do that on every passing down.

I don't like Mark's RPO. It slows down the QB with an early decision. I think if had horrible impact on Brad -- his feet could not afford for his brain to be slowed at all. Last year we fixed the defense by making it react then read like the old days. That was great, but then Mark did the opposite to the offense. If we assume what we have always believed, that we have access to the best athletes then we should go back to taking advantage of them -- let them play. Looks like we are stuck for now with Mark's desire for a QB that does more himself. Others have won NCs that way so lets hope we do too. I prefer the pocket passer dishing out the ball to our runners and receivers with that icy coolness we are use too. As for now, we have a QB who is undefeated -- I'm good with that.

La Bamba?

Advertisement
Essentially The RPO is just choosing an OPTION to either Run or Pass.

Louisville and the Tennessee titans run an rpo that allows the qb the option to run as well.

youll see the qb read the perimeter. pull the ball and act like hes going to take off, then when the corner bites he throws it to the wide open wr in the flats.

So, although originally, its not a zone read or triple option its become more of a hybrid with athletic qbs.

I actually started a thread last season asking why we couldn't do that exact same thing and was told by many a X's and O's guru here at CiS "That's not how it works"

fkn lulz

To be clear, I'm not disagreeing with this concept at all. I think it's a fantastic scheme when you have the personnel to pull it off. But you did recognize that it's a hybrid, and I think all they were trying to establish is that if this RPO/Read Option hybrid is what we're referring to, I wish they'd call it something else because it get's confusing.
To all of the above, there's a fundamental misunderstanding of what the RPO is supposed to do. As I mentioned in Cane Dynasty's thread last year, what he's asking for is primarily an RPO with a built in scramble at the end. Sure. QBs have the option to scramble on any pass play anyway.

YES, there are some teams that add the QB option run at the end and turn the RPO into a triple option, but the RPO by and large is optioning off a totally different defender than the zone-read (optioning off a DE). What Canezum described is the triple option type play Clemson and Auburn sometimes run. For whatever reason, there is just a continued misunderstanding of the RPO, why it exists and what it's supposed to really do.

Always ask yourself "who is the player being option'd off?"

Louisville and the Tennessee titans run an rpo that allows the qb the option to run as well.

youll see the qb read the perimeter. pull the ball and act like hes going to take off, then when the corner bites he throws it to the wide open wr in the flats.

So, although originally, its not a zone read or triple option its become more of a hybrid with athletic qbs.

I actually started a thread last season asking why we couldn't do that exact same thing and was told by many a X's and O's guru here at CiS "That's not how it works"

fkn lulz

To be clear, I'm not disagreeing with this concept at all. I think it's a fantastic scheme when you have the personnel to pull it off. But you did recognize that it's a hybrid, and I think all they were trying to establish is that if this RPO/Read Option hybrid is what we're referring to, I wish they'd call it something else because it get's confusing.
To all of the above, there's a fundamental misunderstanding of what the RPO is supposed to do. As I mentioned in Cane Dynasty's thread last year, what he's asking for is primarily an RPO with a built in scramble at the end. Sure. QBs have the option to scramble on any pass play anyway.

YES, there are some teams that add the QB option run at the end and turn the RPO into a triple option, but the RPO by and large is optioning off a totally different defender than the zone-read (optioning off a DE). What Canezum described is the triple option type play Clemson and Auburn sometimes run. For whatever reason, there is just a continued misunderstanding of the RPO, why it exists and what it's supposed to really do.

Can it be 2 players?

fkn lulz

The way the Titans run it I don't think the QB run is really an option I just think its an improv if need be. It seems as if the qb run is just to pull the defender away from the perimeter to get the pass off.

Advertisement
I feel like we actually didn't run very many RPO's but we threw more RSO's. (Run screen options) I think we threw bubble screens off of the inside zone - we read the Hang players leverage. Oregon use to throw more RPO's (they like stick routes and stuff like that - and would read inside backer leverage off of their inside zone plays) that is why they would get called for lineman down field a couple of times a game.
These types of plays are very easy to run out of the spread offense. And can help neutralize fast defenses. Gives your offense 2 or 3 prong attacks off of 1 play. Also I think they are not all that hard to run and you don't need to be all that smart. Just have a QB that is more of a point guard mentality. Because you can slow the Defense down it can help your run game tremendously.

I feel like we actually didn't run very many RPO's but we threw more RSO's. (Run screen options) I think we threw bubble screens off of the inside zone - we read the Hang players leverage. Oregon use to throw more RPO's (they like stick routes and stuff like that - and would read inside backer leverage off of their inside zone plays) that is why they would get called for lineman down field a couple of times a game.
These types of plays are very easy to run out of the spread offense. And can help neutralize fast defenses. Gives your offense 2 or 3 prong attacks off of 1 play. Also I think they are not all that hard to run and you don't need to be all that smart. Just have a QB that is more of a point guard mentality. Because you can slow the Defense down it can help your run game tremendously.

Exactly, this is where the Titans got that from and still use it with Mariota.

fkn lulz

Can it be 2 players?
Not simultaneously.

Advertisement

fkn lulz

Can it be 2 players?
Not simultaneously.

How about in sequence?

Can it be 2 players?
Not simultaneously.

How about in sequence?

Sure. But, it'd look different than RPO off a nickel/LB and then zone-read off a DE.

I think what you're requesting is RPO with a QB capable of moving his feet if it doesn't work.

Can it be 2 players?
Not simultaneously.

How about in sequence?

Sure. But, it'd look different than RPO off a nickel/LB and then zone-read off a DE.

I think what you're requesting is RPO with a QB capable of moving his feet if it doesn't work.

Then maybe we are doing it wrong?

Advertisement
Can it be 2 players?
Not simultaneously.

How about in sequence?

Then maybe we are doing it wrong?
I don't think so. We do it the same as the a lot of NFL/college teams. We'll get into it more when the games begin and we see what we roll out this season.

Advertisement
Back