Rosier question for D$

Or anyone that's observed fall practice over the years -

Based on his fall camp, how would Rosier's performance stack up with previous QBs? How would you compare his ability to run our offense effectively to, say, a guy like Stephen Morris? Is Rosier more Kenny Kelly or Derrick Crudup?

Just curious for some context as we head toward the season.

We know he's mobile and has a strong arm, but how he will perform is just speculation until the kid gets to show us. Based on what I saw of him against Duke, plus 2 years maturity, winning the Qb battle and the coaches confidence in him, I think we'll be fine with Rozier.

Advertisement
My simple take:

Simplify the offense at first so he gains confidence. As noted before mix up passes with designed runs and let his stable of studs receivers do the work.

As he gains confidence and CMR's trust then expand the playbook. But we need to first have him confident before throwing the book at him.

Essentially The RPO is just choosing an OPTION to either Run or Pass.

Louisville and the Tennessee titans run an rpo that allows the qb the option to run as well.

youll see the qb read the perimeter. pull the ball and act like hes going to take off, then when the corner bites he throws it to the wide open wr in the flats.

So, although originally, its not a zone read or triple option its become more of a hybrid with athletic qbs.

I actually started a thread last season asking why we couldn't do that exact same thing and was told by many a X's and O's guru here at CiS "That's not how it works"

fkn lulz

To be clear, I'm not disagreeing with this concept at all. I think it's a fantastic scheme when you have the personnel to pull it off. But you did recognize that it's a hybrid, and I think all they were trying to establish is that if this RPO/Read Option hybrid is what we're referring to, I wish they'd call it something else because it get's confusing.

Morris was better in practice but we have to wait until the actual games to see how Rosier reacts to full contact. He could be a gamer.

Interesting. Is there a UM (or other) quarterback that you might compare him to then? Again, just looking for context right now because depending on who you ask, Rosier is either gonna be Johnny Manziel or Kirby Freeman.

Skillset-wise, Kenny Kelly is the best comparison IMO.

But the key is he will be playing in an offense that fits him.

Louisville and the Tennessee titans run an rpo that allows the qb the option to run as well.

youll see the qb read the perimeter. pull the ball and act like hes going to take off, then when the corner bites he throws it to the wide open wr in the flats.

So, although originally, its not a zone read or triple option its become more of a hybrid with athletic qbs.

I actually started a thread last season asking why we couldn't do that exact same thing and was told by many a X's and O's guru here at CiS "That's not how it works"

fkn lulz

hahaha I remember that too. I think its cause its not very common and you have to have a **** good athlete to get it done. hence why two Heisman trophy winners are the only qbs I see running it.

Most good teams have athletic qbs. https://youtu.be/23w4CSYj740

key words were "**** good" which most good teams don't have.

Lamar Jackson or Marcus Mariota are on another level with it.

Advertisement

fkn lulz

To be clear, I'm not disagreeing with this concept at all. I think it's a fantastic scheme when you have the personnel to pull it off. But you did recognize that it's a hybrid, and I think all they were trying to establish is that if this RPO/Read Option hybrid is what we're referring to, I wish they'd call it something else because it get's confusing.

ZRRPO (Zone read; Run pass option)

Morris was better in practice but we have to wait until the actual games to see how Rosier reacts to full contact. He could be a gamer.

Interesting. Is there a UM (or other) quarterback that you might compare him to then? Again, just looking for context right now because depending on who you ask, Rosier is either gonna be Johnny Manziel or Kirby Freeman.
Kirby had a terrible nervous condition where his hands visibly and violently shook while he was on the field. We won't have that problem with Malik. He showed us two years ago he's not scared like that.

Worst we'll see from him is first year Berlin. And if we see that for a game he'll get replaced. All 3 guys behind him are better than Crudup, so Malik won't have the long leash Berlin had.

Thanks. That's actually kind of encouraging to me, since I think a Kenny Kelly running let's say that USF/Flowers offense would have been pretty effective.

fkn lulz

ZRRPO (Zone read; Run pass option)
[MENTION=293]ghost2[/MENTION] spelled it out pretty good as Read Option integrated into a Run/Pass Option system. That's too much to say, though, but it does bring up some key things that separate the two, and also why a play can be both.

In RPO, the read is generally a pre-snap key on how the defense is aligned and where they're trying to leverage the ball. It's the old, "Hit it where they ain't," philosophy that says if you're going to cheat towards the run, I'm going to throw it.

The Read Option is usually a post-snap read. For example, is the OLB breaking on the RB, the QB or Dropping into coverage.

A highly skilled and athletic QB can take advantage when the OLB breaks the wrong way and beat him to the 2nd level.

So yeah. Let's go with ZRRPO

Advertisement

But Rosier is considerably faster, right?

Morris is faster. He was the fastest QB at the combine running a 4.63 40. Morris didn't run enough was his issue. He also didn't play as fast as his 40. Morris is faster than Perry for that matter...but the athleticism isn't close. Here's a link to Morris at the combine... NFL Events: Combine Player Profiles - Stephen Morris

Or anyone that's observed fall practice over the years -

Based on his fall camp, how would Rosier's performance stack up with previous QBs? How would you compare his ability to run our offense effectively to, say, a guy like Stephen Morris? Is Rosier more Kenny Kelly or Derrick Crudup?

Just curious for some context as we head toward the season.
Won't speak for D$, but I did not get the impression he interpreted Stephen Morris level of play at all. I'm just trying to temper expectations here.

My guess is it'll be a complete surprise as to what level of play we'll see in games. It's like the action in a jack in the box, but a different character each time the thing springs up. Woo!

The overall implication that I am going to be surprised by a different Rosier each time he drops back is not exactly soothing or comforting.
I didn't mean every time he drops back. I meant once we see him in a game. It'll be a total surprise what we end up seeing. As has been said, maybe the guy is a total gamer?

Kenny Kelly would lob a "wounded duck" which was always under thrown. He would then pray for Santana to catch it. Malik might flop but his arm is so much better than Kelly's that it is not even debatable.

That's probably good. A stronger armed Kenny Kelly but less fluid and more tunnel vision.

I say tunnel vision based on 2015. Rosier seemed tense and not particularly aware. That type of thing is subject to improvement.

I don't have unrealistically high hopes for someone who was not a premier recruit and who required four years into the program to be named starter. For reference, if Florida or Florida State were starting Rosier after a similar background, what would our reactions be? Hardly fear. More laughter than fear. It might be misplaced but that's where we would be currently.

Somebody hoped for Russell Wilson level. Meanwhile, Wilson started at North Carolina State as a redshirt freshman and recorded 17 touchdown passes to only 1 interception. Wilson has always been elite even though the doubters persist in denying as much.

Advertisement
It'll be interesting watching an unheralded QB vs an overhyped one. Maybe I'll curse less at the mistakes. Doubtful...,but maybe.

I'm thinking a Stephen Morris like level of play, without as much arm strength.

Probably some stretches where he looks really good, with some stretches of poor accuracy/bad misses and band decisions/int's. But definitely better than Kelly/Crudup.

Like Morris, Rosier can be mobile in the pocket, but I don't really see him ads a running QB. Re-watching the Clemson/Duke games it seems much more natural for him to stay in the pocket than to tuck it and run.

I could definitely be wrong - but I feel like Richt will have confidence that he can run the offense already in place vs. installing a bunch of draws/boots/roll-outs specifically for Rosier. A couple new wrinkles here and there, but for the most part the same offense as last year.

Rozier has a stronger arm than kaaya and a little less than Stephen Morris

How do you know this?

Did you see rosier throw the ball at the end of the half against clemson? Meanwhile kaaya was busy looping 35 and 40 yard throws and underthrowing passes down the field his whole career at Miami outside of his freshman season

Last edited:
It'll be interesting watching an unheralded QB vs an overhyped one. Maybe I'll curse less at the mistakes. Doubtful...,but maybe.
I actually find that angle fascinating. Previously, QBs have been hyped here and in the media and therefore set high expectations. This guy has been both explicitly and implicitly bashed, so expectations are tempered. Look forward to seeing how his actual play drives perception. Think it's going to be a really entertaining season.

Last edited:
Advertisement

But Rosier is considerably faster, right?

Morris is faster. He was the fastest QB at the combine running a 4.63 40. Morris didn't run enough was his issue. He also didn't play as fast as his 40. Morris is faster than Perry for that matter...but the athleticism isn't close. Here's a link to Morris at the combine... NFL Events: Combine Player Profiles - Stephen Morris

Rosier runs better than a 4.63 I think.

Probably some stretches where he looks really good, with some stretches of poor accuracy/bad misses and band decisions/int's. But definitely better than Kelly/Crudup.

Like Morris, Rosier can be mobile in the pocket, but I don't really see him ads a running QB. Re-watching the Clemson/Duke games it seems much more natural for him to stay in the pocket than to tuck it and run.

I could definitely be wrong - but I feel like Richt will have confidence that he can run the offense already in place vs. installing a bunch of draws/boots/roll-outs specifically for Rosier. A couple new wrinkles here and there, but for the most part the same offense as last year.

How do you know this?

Did you see rosier throw the ball at the end of the half against clemson? Meanwhile kaaya was busy looping 35 and 40 yard throws and underthrowing passes down the field his whole career at Miami outside of his freshman season

So you're claiming this off of one throw?

Good luck to our QB. Malik has the Duke game under his belt and lots of practice time. Baseball is a thing of the past.

I am old so I remember the angst, anxiety and fear of breaking in a new QB over the past 3 decades plus (going by memory):

Kosar --> Testaverde -- > Walsh -- > Erickson -- > Toretta -- > Collins -- > Clement --> Kelly -->
Dorsey --> Berlin --> Wright -- > Freeman --> Crudup --> Marve -->
Harris --> Morris --> Kaaya ---> Rosier

Fortay and Covington fit in there in the 1990s somewhere

Some have been unbelievable, others not so much.

I'm sure I missed someone, and put some out of order.

mv5a_f-maxage-0.gif

Advertisement
Back