RomanCane's Gattis Breakdown:

In CBB, Miami didn’t join the Big East until the early 90s. By then my father had already raised me to be a Cuse fan before that. I was a Cuse fan years before Miami had joined the Big East.
U must be really good at pounding sand.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I didn’t want an Air Raid.

People seem to think any offense that passes the more than 20 times a game is an Air Raid lol.

There’s a sliding scale between what Leach does & what Riley does, this board just over-simplifies everything.

Bama, OH ST, Pitt, Wake, Purdue, Utah ST, Nevada & Fresno ST were all top 10 in passing, all of them (except for Purdue) won 10+ games & none of them run Air Raid.

You can win running the ball a lot too, UGA, Michigan, Utah, Baylor, Coastal Carolina & Oregon all won with their physical rushing attack. And that will be Miami’s bread & butter going forward.

Our future success will be hinged upon the LOS.
I miss Lashlee already

Advertisement
Don't worry in regards to what offense he"ll run. Most run plays are what you would call the 3\5 , everyone is going at angles. He'll set up the run to hit the homerun. I personally liked Golesh more because **** it why not, we'll be more boring on offense but we'll light up the scoreboard

I remember Dan Enos creativity. So much motion and formation shifts. Reverse and double reverses all over the place. He probably would be considered a good coach had he stayed on as the Alabama OC.

I want to be pessimistic because we have a safety as an OC and (probably) WR coach and I know the offense will have a slower tempo (I didn't think our 75 plays a game felt that fast anyway). But Golden was a TE who made his hives as a DC. Coached TEs in the league last year and LBs this year. I had a QB coach in HS tell me he had to coach OL at a div3 school. Said that's what you have to be willing to do.

But Gattis has a legit record and seems like a home run hire. Both OC and DC are guys with exceptional big time experience at big time programs. Neither of them a **** choice. But this seems like a solid staff.

This is a time to be adaptable even in a Lashlee spread we saw how conservatism can shut things down and he opened it up and it was successful. To some degree we can incorporate both a old school pro style offense and a new school spread and the ratio of run to pass closer to each other.

Advertisement
I'm as optimistic as I can be...and I have a feeling this time is different...but we've been saying "insert TE1 and TE2 are going to eat here" for as long as I have been on this site.

Advertisement
I don't. Hated the fact that he had a nothing burger in his playbook for short yardage situations. That ****t drove me crazy. I'm grateful for his time here. He was a step up from the Enos punishment we were forced to endure, but I'm glad he's gone and I wish him well. Enos, not so much!
Do people just forget him forcing King to run the RPO for half a season (ignoring 2020) despite the fact that he was not running it correctly? Yes it was humming with TVD but there was a lot of season with very little adapting before that.

I didn’t want an Air Raid.

People seem to think any offense that passes the more than 20 times a game is an Air Raid lol.

There’s a sliding scale between what Leach does & what Riley does, this board just over-simplifies everything.

Bama, OH ST, Pitt, Wake, Purdue, Utah ST, Nevada & Fresno ST were all top 10 in passing, all of them (except for Purdue) won 10+ games & none of them run Air Raid.

You can win running the ball a lot too, UGA, Michigan, Utah, Baylor, Coastal Carolina & Oregon all won with their physical rushing attack. And that will be Miami’s bread & butter going forward.

Our future success will be hinged upon the LOS.
You can be an excellent run team out of an air raid offense. I think a person could argue that the power spread teams you see today were transformations of original Air Raid systems.

I watched a HS team throw it 60 times a game and played for their state championship and that same team switch their emphasis of their offense the next year. They ended up with a 2,000 yard RB and a 1,000 yard Rb. They won the state title that year - same offense - two different emphasis - back to back state titles.

I think good OC's can keep their offense style and shape / emphasis it to fit their personel.

Advertisement
Back