Rob Chudzinski

What is a "great recruiter"?

Lets ask Tom Lemming....

February 5, 2015 1:50 PM
Lemming: Al Golden One of “Top 10 Recruiters in the Country” « CBS Miami

My question to you is whether you think Jim McElwian a great recruiter? How about Jim Harbaugh? Let me know bro....

Golden has the #6 class right now and McElwain has the #13 class. We should just keep Golden right?

Are you telling me Al Golden would land a better recruiting class this year than if Chud was our head coach? Serious question?

Advertisement
Lets look at the top 5....

1. Ohio St - Ok fine. Urban is a great crooter......
2. Baylor - Ask 100 HS kids who Art Briles is and 99 don't know.
3. TCU - Gary Patterson is so **** charming it hurts.
4. Utah - Kyle Whittingham, his morman swag is epic.
5. Clemson - Dabo dabo do

Get it?

Coaching first....recruiting a very close second.

Chud would be a better recruiter than 4 of those 5 without a doubt simply because Dade and Broward County exist less than 30 miles from the program he runs and he is a legit coach.

let me get this straight...

a dude that coaches offense in the nfl...and has coached some of the kids..south florida kids idolize....wont move the tick in recruiting....

but a coach from Memphis or Houston will?? two teams that get no visible air time in south florida...?

i wont be mad with Chud...he doesn like recruiting...well thats where he can hire some guys that can....our school will recruit itself regardless just by simply winning.

A staff full of recruiters have done what for us recently??

Just give me a head coach that can solidly coach up his side of the ball by himself...either offense or defense.

I have no doubt schiano or chud can do that if thats the route their going...if their staying in house with "miami" guys...then those two would be top choices.

Lets look at the top 5....

1. Ohio St - Ok fine. Urban is a great crooter......
2. Baylor - Ask 100 HS kids who Art Briles is and 99 don't know.
3. TCU - Gary Patterson is so **** charming it hurts.
4. Utah - Kyle Whittingham, his morman swag is epic.
5. Clemson - Dabo dabo do

Get it?

Coaching first....recruiting a very close second.

Chud would be a better recruiter than 4 of those 5 without a doubt simply because Dade and Broward County exist less than 30 miles from the program he runs and he is a legit coach.

dabo out their with money bags in recruiting brah. its the sole reason Clemson is even semi relevant they can cruit. And dabo does a good job at it..hes a avg coac.
The others i agree....baylor, tcu, utah does a great job with developing guys in their system

Advertisement
Rob Chudzinski enters his second year with the Indianapolis Colts and first as associate head coach. He served as special assistant to the head coach in 2014. Chudzinski provides input on both sides of the ball along with assisting Head Coach Chuck Pagano. He also helps with game management and handles special projects. Chudzinski holds 21 years of coaching experience, including the previous 11 seasons in the NFL.

Chudzinski’s relationship with Pagano dates back to the University of Miami in 1986. Pagano was a graduate assistant during Chudzinski’s freshman year at the school. The two then coached the Hurricanes together from 1995-2000 prior to a stint with the Cleveland Browns in 2004.

In 2014, Chudzinski helped the Colts to their third consecutive 11-win season and second straight AFC South title. The team recorded a perfect 6-0 division record for the second straight year, marking the first time in franchise history they’ve accomplished the feat in back-to-back seasons. Indianapolis also won two postseason contests and reached the AFC Championship Game for the first time since 2009. Chudzinski assisted an offense that ranked first in the NFL in passing (305.9 ypg.) and passing touchdowns (42). The Colts ranked third in the league in total offense (406.6 ypg.), which was a 12-spot improvement from a No. 15 ranking in 2013 and ranked sixth in the NFL in scoring (28.6 ppg.), which was an eight-spot jump from the previous season. Defensively, Indianapolis improved in all three categories including total defense, rushing defense and passing defense.

In 2013, Chudzinski served as the head coach of the Cleveland Browns. Cleveland finished 18th in the NFL in total offense and 11th in passing yards, marking the highest ranking for the team dating back to 1991. The Browns also finished ninth in total defense, which was the highest ranking since 1994. Cleveland recorded 40.0 sacks as a team and tied for the league lead with 16 total players with a sack.

Chudzinski developed six Pro Bowlers and five Associated Press All-Pro selections in Cleveland including, TE-Jordan Cameron, WR-Josh Gordon, CB-Joe Haden, C-Alex Mack, T-Joe Thomas and S-T.J. Ward. Four of those players, including Cameron, Gordon, Haden and Ward were first-time Pro Bowl selections. Gordon became the first Browns player to lead the NFL in receiving yards (1,646). He played in just 14 games and also recorded the 10th-most receiving yards in a season in NFL history. Cameron posted career highs with 80 receptions for 917 yards and seven touchdowns. His receiving yards ranked second among NFL tight ends in 2013, while his receptions total ranked third.

Prior to joining the Browns, Chudzinski spent two years (2011-12) as offensive coordinator of the Carolina Panthers. In 2011, the team set club records for total yards (6,237) and first downs (345), one year after experiencing franchise lows in both categories. Carolina scored 48 touchdowns overall after recording 17 the year before his arrival. Chudzinski tutored quarterback Cam Newton, who became the first rookie in NFL history to throw for 4,000 yards, while setting an NFL record for rushing touchdowns by a quarterback with 14 en route to being named the 2011 Associated Press Offensive Rookie of the Year. The Panthers also became the first team in NFL history with three 700-yard rushers in DeAngelo Williams (836), Jonathan Stewart (761) and Newton (706).

Chudzinski had two stints with the San Diego Chargers, where he served as the assistant head coach/tight ends from 2009-2010 and tight ends coach from 2005-06. He coached tight end Antonio Gates, who recorded both of his 1,000-yard receiving seasons under Chudzinski in 2005 and 2009.

From 2007-08, Chudzinski served as offensive coordinator of the Browns. In 2007, Cleveland scored 402 points and tallied 5,621 yards of total offense, both of which ranked as the third-most in franchise history. In addition, the team tied for seventh in the NFL in touchdowns and eighth in total offense after finishing 30th and 31st, respectively, the year prior.

Chudzinski began his NFL coaching career in 2004 as the Browns tight ends coach, where he worked with first-round draft choice Kellen Winslow. During the season, he was elevated to offensive coordinator for the final five games following Butch Davis’ resignation as head coach.

From 1994-2003, Chudzinski coached at his alma mater, the University of Miami (Fla.). He spent two seasons (1994-95) as a graduate assistant, five (1996-2000) as tight ends coach and three (2001-03) as offensive coordinator. During his three seasons as offensive coordinator, the Hurricanes compiled a record of 35-3 and played in a BCS Bowl Game every year, including two National Championship appearances. Chudzinski helped shape several future NFL Pro Bowlers, including Bubba Franks, Frank Gore, Andre Johnson, Willis McGahee, Bryant McKinnie, Clinton Portis, Jeremy Shockey and Kellen Winslow.

Chudzinski played tight end at Miami from 1986-1990, as he was a three-year starter and a member of two national championship teams (1987 and 1989). He graduated with a B.A. in business administration in 1990 and went on to earn his MBA in 1996.

Chudzinski was inducted into the 2015 University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame. His class was comprised of two-time Olympic medalist Lauryn Williams as well as football stars Jonathan Vilma, Kevin Patrick, Rusty Medearis, Winston Moss and the late Sean Taylor among others.

A native of Toledo, Ohio, Chudzinski and his wife, Sheila, have three sons, Kaelan, Rian and Declan, and one daughter, Margaret.

I give up...can't reason with retards.
You've yet to explain what makes him stand out. What is it about him that makes you think he would be such a great hire?

Rob Chudzinski enters his second year with the Indianapolis Colts and first as associate head coach. He served as special assistant to the head coach in 2014. Chudzinski provides input on both sides of the ball along with assisting Head Coach Chuck Pagano. He also helps with game management and handles special projects. Chudzinski holds 21 years of coaching experience, including the previous 11 seasons in the NFL.

Chudzinski’s relationship with Pagano dates back to the University of Miami in 1986. Pagano was a graduate assistant during Chudzinski’s freshman year at the school. The two then coached the Hurricanes together from 1995-2000 prior to a stint with the Cleveland Browns in 2004.

In 2014, Chudzinski helped the Colts to their third consecutive 11-win season and second straight AFC South title. The team recorded a perfect 6-0 division record for the second straight year, marking the first time in franchise history they’ve accomplished the feat in back-to-back seasons. Indianapolis also won two postseason contests and reached the AFC Championship Game for the first time since 2009. Chudzinski assisted an offense that ranked first in the NFL in passing (305.9 ypg.) and passing touchdowns (42). The Colts ranked third in the league in total offense (406.6 ypg.), which was a 12-spot improvement from a No. 15 ranking in 2013 and ranked sixth in the NFL in scoring (28.6 ppg.), which was an eight-spot jump from the previous season. Defensively, Indianapolis improved in all three categories including total defense, rushing defense and passing defense.

In 2013, Chudzinski served as the head coach of the Cleveland Browns. Cleveland finished 18th in the NFL in total offense and 11th in passing yards, marking the highest ranking for the team dating back to 1991. The Browns also finished ninth in total defense, which was the highest ranking since 1994. Cleveland recorded 40.0 sacks as a team and tied for the league lead with 16 total players with a sack.

Chudzinski developed six Pro Bowlers and five Associated Press All-Pro selections in Cleveland including, TE-Jordan Cameron, WR-Josh Gordon, CB-Joe Haden, C-Alex Mack, T-Joe Thomas and S-T.J. Ward. Four of those players, including Cameron, Gordon, Haden and Ward were first-time Pro Bowl selections. Gordon became the first Browns player to lead the NFL in receiving yards (1,646). He played in just 14 games and also recorded the 10th-most receiving yards in a season in NFL history. Cameron posted career highs with 80 receptions for 917 yards and seven touchdowns. His receiving yards ranked second among NFL tight ends in 2013, while his receptions total ranked third.

Prior to joining the Browns, Chudzinski spent two years (2011-12) as offensive coordinator of the Carolina Panthers. In 2011, the team set club records for total yards (6,237) and first downs (345), one year after experiencing franchise lows in both categories. Carolina scored 48 touchdowns overall after recording 17 the year before his arrival. Chudzinski tutored quarterback Cam Newton, who became the first rookie in NFL history to throw for 4,000 yards, while setting an NFL record for rushing touchdowns by a quarterback with 14 en route to being named the 2011 Associated Press Offensive Rookie of the Year. The Panthers also became the first team in NFL history with three 700-yard rushers in DeAngelo Williams (836), Jonathan Stewart (761) and Newton (706).

Chudzinski had two stints with the San Diego Chargers, where he served as the assistant head coach/tight ends from 2009-2010 and tight ends coach from 2005-06. He coached tight end Antonio Gates, who recorded both of his 1,000-yard receiving seasons under Chudzinski in 2005 and 2009.

From 2007-08, Chudzinski served as offensive coordinator of the Browns. In 2007, Cleveland scored 402 points and tallied 5,621 yards of total offense, both of which ranked as the third-most in franchise history. In addition, the team tied for seventh in the NFL in touchdowns and eighth in total offense after finishing 30th and 31st, respectively, the year prior.

Chudzinski began his NFL coaching career in 2004 as the Browns tight ends coach, where he worked with first-round draft choice Kellen Winslow. During the season, he was elevated to offensive coordinator for the final five games following Butch Davis’ resignation as head coach.

From 1994-2003, Chudzinski coached at his alma mater, the University of Miami (Fla.). He spent two seasons (1994-95) as a graduate assistant, five (1996-2000) as tight ends coach and three (2001-03) as offensive coordinator. During his three seasons as offensive coordinator, the Hurricanes compiled a record of 35-3 and played in a BCS Bowl Game every year, including two National Championship appearances. Chudzinski helped shape several future NFL Pro Bowlers, including Bubba Franks, Frank Gore, Andre Johnson, Willis McGahee, Bryant McKinnie, Clinton Portis, Jeremy Shockey and Kellen Winslow.

Chudzinski played tight end at Miami from 1986-1990, as he was a three-year starter and a member of two national championship teams (1987 and 1989). He graduated with a B.A. in business administration in 1990 and went on to earn his MBA in 1996.

Chudzinski was inducted into the 2015 University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame. His class was comprised of two-time Olympic medalist Lauryn Williams as well as football stars Jonathan Vilma, Kevin Patrick, Rusty Medearis, Winston Moss and the late Sean Taylor among others.

A native of Toledo, Ohio, Chudzinski and his wife, Sheila, have three sons, Kaelan, Rian and Declan, and one daughter, Margaret.

I give up...can't reason with retards.
You've yet to explain what makes him stand out. What is it about him that makes you think he would be such a great hire?
That's a good resume. I can see why you want him. For me personally I'm just not buying in to Chud. Good resume but I think there are candidates that IMO are better. Appreciate the info. Been asking for someone to explain why and you did.

Wish I would have known a long time ago that cutting and pasting his bio would do the trick.

Cristobal will get a nice raise here as the assistant head coach job under Chud. Chud and Mario are very tight. Chud and his brother were roommates at Miami.

Feb 6, 2013
from coaching search

Cleveland Browns: Don't be surprised if Miami (FL) tight ends / associate head coach Mario Cristobal ends up on the Rob Chudzinski's staff in Cleveland. A source tells me Chud has talked with Cristobal. Chudzinski has yet to fill the running backs job.

Cristobal Rumor

I'm gonna be, "that guy" ...

But if Chud is such a great candidate, why doesn't anyone else want him?

He coached in Carolina, leading the Panther's O to unprecedented numbers ... Why aren't Gamecock fans calling for him?

He coached in San Diego, why aren't Trojan fans calling for him?

He's not even in the mix to replace Edsall at Maryland, and this link has 17 guys listed ... Including Al Golden.

17 Coaching Candidates to Replace Randy Edsall at Maryland | AthlonSports.com

And obvious candidate has options ... When a candidate doesn't have options, it's means they aren't all that obvious, IMO.

Advertisement
You have no idea who would be lining up to coach here under Chud.

Name and Current Gig

Steve Walsh (IMG)
Ken Dorsey (Panthers)
Mike Sullivan (Titans)
Kevin Patrick (North Texas)
John Settle (Wisconsin)
Mike Barrow (Seahawks)
Mike Rumph (American Hertigae)

Ever single guy on this list would be a HUGE upgrade in both coaching and recruiting than what we have right now.

In the rush to fill offensive coordinator vacancies, several teams have reached out to the Indianapolis Colts about assistant coach Rob Chudzinski. Chudzinski is the former head coach of the Cleveland Browns and has an impressive resume that includes Cam Newton's record-setting rookie year in Carolina. The Colts apparently do not want to lose Chudzinski and have elected to block the interview requests, according to Ian Rapoport.

You think Pagano would block him from taking the Miami head job? LOL

Chud wouldn't even take Maryland's call. He is sitting on the 10.5 million dollar buyout waiting for the Miami job to open dude.

I'm gonna be, "that guy" ...

But if Chud is such a great candidate, why doesn't anyone else want him?

He coached in Carolina, leading the Panther's O to unprecedented numbers ... Why aren't Game**** fans calling for him?

He coached in San Diego, why aren't Trojan fans calling for him?

He's not even in the mix to replace Edsall at Maryland, and this link has 17 guys ... Including Al Golden.

17 Coaching Candidates to Replace Randy Edsall at Maryland | AthlonSports.com

Advertisement
Here's one thing I know about whoever replaces Golden.

There will be a vocal group here that will be skeptical ranging from "I don't think he'll work out" to "He's awful".
There will be a vocal group here that will be enthusiastic ranging from "I think he'll be good" to "Best UM coach ever".
Most will wait and see.

None will call for Golden to be rehired.

let me get this straight...

a dude that coaches offense in the nfl...and has coached some of the kids..south florida kids idolize....wont move the tick in recruiting....

but a coach from Memphis or Houston will?? two teams that get no visible air time in south florida...?

i wont be mad with Chud...he doesn like recruiting...well thats where he can hire some guys that can....our school will recruit itself regardless just by simply winning.

A staff full of recruiters have done what for us recently??

Just give me a head coach that can solidly coach up his side of the ball by himself...either offense or defense.

I have no doubt schiano or chud can do that if thats the route their going...if their staying in house with "miami" guys...then those two would be top choices.

Herman was urbans SoFl guy recruited dixon and gibson, but you are right we need a good coach not a recruiter, we need a guy that suits the new style of college football not guys from the past, to me its a no brainer it has to be herman, not too sure on fuentes recruiting, ill take butch depending on who his assistants are

For wide receiver T.Y. Hilton, the problem is not Luck's absence or [Pep] Hamilton's failed vision. This is a play-calling issue, which falls on Hamilton's replacement, Rob Chudzinski.

"The throws have been there, but we just haven't been calling them," Hilton said Tuesday, according to The Indianapolis Star. "It's more the play-calling."

"Because we're not really using us: Donte (Moncrief), me, Phillip (Dorsett). We're fast guys and we're not going down the field how we're supposed to. We're running stick routes, chain routes. I mean, you can do that, but at some point, you have to take your shots to get the defense (moving) back."

Against the Texans, quarterback Matt Hasselbeck attempted just seven passes longer than 10 yards, a reflection – according to Hilton – of play-caller Rob Chudzinski’s conservative approach.

[TWEET]679466123427889152[/TWEET]

[TWEET]679473437501308930[/TWEET]

Some posters started to second guess the widespread negativity surrounding the possibility of a Chud hire after they beat the Broncos, Falcons, and Bucs in late November. Two of those wins were even with their backup QB (Hasselbeck) starting in place of the injured Andrew Luck.

But since then, they've scored a total of 42 points in their last 3 games (all losses to Pittsburgh, Jacksonville, and Houston). Just 2 offensive TDs in their last 3 games. They're 31st in the NFL in red zone TD percentage during their three-game losing streak. They've averaged just 66 rushing yards per game in December.

And now T.Y. Hilton is following in the footsteps of Steve Smith & DeAngelo Williams by s***ting all over Chud publicly without hesitation.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Wait, I was told he was one of the brightest offensive minds in the NFL despite zero facts to support that statement.

Advertisement
Back