Richt's Rules...

We constantly hear complaints about "lack of discipline" and "stupid decisions" or "bad judgement" on an off the field. If you are not disciplined all of this BS happens. A coach has the right to tell players what he expects and for the team to conform. The players are at school to get an education and play football, it's not a fashion show or a party. If you abide by the rules as a team, you play as a team and I have no problem with Richt's rules. I played for a coach like this, grew up in a military home and served immediately after med school. Rules, are not a bad thing and I believe you will see a dramatically improved UM team next fall, due to this discipline.

I can buy into the drugs and stealing rules, but I hate stupid **** like regulating facial hair and jewelry. Reminds me of Shannon's dumb hat rules. Rules for the sake of rules is stupid.

Advertisement
We constantly hear complaints about "lack of discipline" and "stupid decisions" or "bad judgement" on an off the field. If you are not disciplined all of this BS happens. A coach has the right to tell players what he expects and for the team to conform. The players are at school to get an education and play football, it's not a fashion show or a party. If you abide by the rules as a team, you play as a team and I have no problem with Richt's rules. I played for a coach like this, grew up in a military home and served immediately after med school. Rules, are not a bad thing and I believe you will see a dramatically improved UM team next fall, due to this discipline.

I can buy into the drugs and stealing rules, but I hate stupid **** like regulating facial hair and jewelry. Reminds me of Shannon's dumb hat rules. Rules for the sake of rules is stupid.

You confuse stupid rules with discipline. Lots of people do that. A politician haircut and a clean shave have nothing to do with discipline. The world is full of undisciplined scumbags with short haircuts and no beards.

There are rules and ways to promote discipline. Rules that require guys to be on time, pay attention and work hard and not be shytheads promote discipline. Haircuts and stupid **** like that promote nothing but resentment.

Kids need rules and need to understand how the real world is....being respectful, being presentable in interviews and showing yourself in a professional manner, not tolerating theft, etc.....but ANY rule about being clean shaven in sports in plain stupid. I had the same argument with a HS basketball coach who insisted on it, HS! In the end, i chose to stand my ground and sat the bench for the year with only limited PT (he was fired later that year). People in general, and especially kids, need guidance/rules but also a little freedom to express themselves as individuals, so i'm fine with the hair, beards, goatees, earrings, hates etc. The crazy chains can get out of hand, especially for kids claiming they don't get enough money to eat.

Sorry bruh, sitting on the bench for a year over some facial hair is not smart.

This and that will never happen here or fly here.

You confuse stupid rules with discipline. Lots of people do that. A politician haircut and a clean shave have nothing to do with discipline. The world is full of undisciplined scumbags with short haircuts and no beards.

There are rules and ways to promote discipline. Rules that require guys to be on time, pay attention and work hard and not be shytheads promote discipline. Haircuts and stupid **** like that promote nothing but resentment.

When done effectively and the right way, presentable haircuts and "stupid **** like that" can be an important part, but not all, to a force enabling program that postures the organization for success. Again, it has to be done the right way and not hammering folks for the sake of hammering, but it speaks VOLUMES of the type of people you have in an organization if they can't get on board with this.

Look at D Henry of Alabama, long dreads, always seems presentable in public.

Again, this isn't theory. It's fact.

When done effectively and the right way, presentable haircuts and "stupid **** like that" can be an important part, but not all, to a force enabling program that postures the organization for success. Again, it has to be done the right way and not hammering folks for the sake of hammering, but it speaks VOLUMES of the type of people you have in an organization if they can't get on board with this.

It's not even about discipline. In interviews, you are representing the organization not just yourself. The boss gets to decide what the image the organization puts out looks like. Richt is setting the standard for how the University of Miami will be represented in the press. It's also helping these guys realize that how they represent an organization will impact the contracts they get.

Advertisement

Completely agree.

I would be curious if these same rules applied at UGA. Probably so, I just hope he doesn't use UM as an act of contrition for past perceived mistakes.

Next we will hear no tattoos.

UM

This is ridiculous. The evidence is out there and find out for yourselves. Just bc Richts "prefers" for his players to be clean shaven doesn't mean squat... It just sounds good.

His UGA players had dreads.. (With different colors), tattoos, piercings, jewelry, and wore what they want.

There is nothing wrong with asking his players for INTERVIEWS to look professional and to look decent and represent the school. Yet there is interviews of his players as recent as last year who aren't clean shaven.

The argument here is not even an issue. Preferring something is not regulating something... So it's not a rule.

Last edited:
This is ridiculous. The evidence is out there and find out for yourselves. Just bc Richts "prefers" for his players to be clean shaven doesn't mean squat... It just sounds good.

His UGA players had dreads.. (With different colors), tattoos, piercings, jewelry, and wore what they want.

There is nothing wrong with asking his players for INTERVIEWS to look professional and to look decent and represent the school. Yet there is interviews of his players as recent as last year who aren't clean shaven.

The argument here is not even an issue. Preferring something is not regulating something... So it's not a rule.

Shut up with your sanity and logic.

Advertisement

That was a load of baseless gibberish that you attempted to convert to fact by uttering the all-important "it's fact" line. I have no idea what any of that **** even meant. It sounded like you were handing out an award for Outstanding Accomplisments in the Field of Excellence.

You bumble around about the importance of clean haircuts then laud Derrick Henry whose hair looks like a cross between Stevie Wonder and a plate of capsized linguine. Henry is the ultimate example of discipline, and his hair is a mess and he sports facial hair. Might even have a little gold in that mouth and around his neck. Yet he outworks everyone.

Isn't it interesting that so many people "express their individuality" by copying others in their social group, and often the least accomplished?

Pay my son's tuition and if it requires his entire head be shaved it's still a bargain. Not to mention easier to clean and less itchy in the heat. :Wink:

That was a load of baseless gibberish that you attempted to convert to fact by uttering the all-important "it's fact" line. I have no idea what any of that **** even meant. It sounded like you were handing out an award for Outstanding Accomplisments in the Field of Excellence.

You bumble around about the importance of clean haircuts then laud Derrick Henry whose hair looks like a cross between Stevie Wonder and a plate of capsized linguine. Henry is the ultimate example of discipline, and his hair is a mess and he sports facial hair. Might even have a little gold in that mouth and around his neck. Yet he outworks everyone.

Fellow fan...

Didn't mean to criticize in the previous post...but now...

Let me assure you, and I'll use smaller words, you are utterly and completely out of your depth in this conversation. I would offer you don't even have a basic grasp of what it takes to run a successful organization at the tactical, operational, or strategic levels. If you don't understand these terms, there is always dictionary.com.

As for D Henry, my point (perhaps poorly stated at first) was that you can have longer hair or dreads and facial hair--and still be on board with he program so long as that it is allowed. Everytime I've seen him on tv, I was merely stating that he appears presentable and well groomed and I think this persona that he portrays is indicative of his overall discipline--and that certainly shows with is play. I'm sure someone could have an example, but I've not seen him act like an undisciplined fool in any setting (granted my views are limited).

Not here on these boards to argue, so I'll let you slide. Just my two cents, understand the facts of what is being said before you add to the dialogue and criticize others.

Go Canes!

Last edited:
Advertisement

So much truth MC!

Was just about to post this same thing. Guaranteed that players will have facial hairs, dreds, jewelry, and tats.

Yeah, there's no value in asking a person to give up something they like for the sake of an organization to which they belong. Just ask every religion and military ever.

Advertisement
This isn't a military academy. We will still see players with dreads. The guys with LOCS Richt wont care about. It's the one's with dreads like Carter is who will encourage to cut their hair.

I played for a coach who didn't like dreads but he knew it's part of a culture so no way was he going to require everyone to cut their hair. He would just take jabs every now and then about getting a cut. There was a rule that we had to have them tucked in or covered during practice and games though.

This isn't a military academy. We will still see players with dreads. The guys with LOCS Richt wont care about. It's the one's with dreads like Carter is who will encourage to cut their hair.

I played for a coach who didn't like dreads but he knew it's part of a culture so no way was he going to require everyone to cut their hair. He would just take jabs every now and then about getting a cut. There was a rule that we had to have them tucked in or covered during practice and games though.

Agree not a military academy, but the concept of personal and professional discipline readily applies.

Work with what you have so long as some standard is evenly applied as you mentioned above. As long as its reasonably presentable, a player could go all Rapunzul...couldn't care less. The point though is that whatever rule the staff puts into place, they need to be followed. Speaks volumes about the players (if they can't get on board) or staff (if the rules as asinine) if not effectively embraced and/or applied.

Yankees have had a no facial hair rule forever, but your point has validity.

Fellow fan...

Didn't mean to criticize in the previous post...but now...

Let me assure you, and I'll use smaller words, you are utterly and completely out of your depth in this conversation. I would offer you don't even have a basic grasp of what it takes to run a successful organization at the tactical, operational, or strategic levels. If you don't understand these terms, there is always dictionary.com.

As for D Henry, my point (perhaps poorly stated at first) was that you can have longer hair or dreads and facial hair--and still be on board with he program so long as that it is allowed. Everytime I've seen him on tv, I was merely stating that he appears presentable and well groomed and I think this persona that he portrays is indicative of his overall discipline--and that certainly shows with is play. I'm sure someone could have an example, but I've not seen him act like an undisciplined fool in any setting (granted my views are limited).

Not here on these boards to argue, so I'll let you slide. Just my two cents, understand the facts of what is being said before you add to the dialogue and criticize others.

Go Canes!

Let me clarify, dolt. I didn't understand your post because it was nonsensical gibberish, not because it was in any way complex.

Advertisement
Back