Richt's Rules...

I can buy into the drugs and stealing rules, but I hate stupid **** like regulating facial hair and jewelry. Reminds me of Shannon's dumb hat rules. Rules for the sake of rules is stupid.

Yet rules for the sake of discipline is not.

Dumb rules are useless no matter how you want to couch them. Discipline isn't cutting your hair neatly like a politician and shaving every day. It's holding your water on 4th and 1 with the game on the line and 50k people screaming. You don't acquire that by shaving every day.

Well, considering this was easily the most undisciplined team in the nation last year and it has been consistently finishing at or near the bottom in penalties under two head coaches. I'm okay with self-discipline as a starter. I do it's a different generation, but some times are time tested. If this is all he is asking, then it is manageable.

Advertisement
Advertisement
How many penalties have we seen from undisciplined play over the past decade? Discipline in the small details of life will generally lead to discipline on the field, or in your chosen profession.

John Wooden used to teach his players at UCLA ties their shoes a particular way. There were a few practical reasons (avoiding blisters), but mainly for the lesson that repeating small details over and over will carry over into the details of the game.

Last edited:
Look at how many UGA players ended up at other schools. In the last 5 years, Louisville got a ton, Alabama got a couple, LSU got Mettengerger, Auburn got Nick Marshall.

Advertisement
Jesus had a beard.

No good without an actual photograph.

shroud2-4_3.jpg

Advertisement
I haven't read the whole thread and don't even know if it's true, but it's confusing to me that people equate jewelry in interviews and facial hair with discipline. If you shave your face because your coach tells you you have to, that does not indicate discipline.

I haven't read the whole thread and don't even know if it's true, but it's confusing to me that people equate jewelry in interviews and facial hair with discipline. If you shave your face because your coach tells you you have to, that does not indicate discipline.

No but it does teach student athletes how to represent an organization which is important at the next level for any athlete who isn't a superstar

No but it does teach student athletes how to represent an organization which is important at the next level for any athlete who isn't a superstar

So maybe we should allow the really good players to wear jewelry and have facial hair and make the bums shave and stuff because they'll never become stars. Like let a Derrick Henry wear jewelry but make sure Alex Gall wears a suit every day.

I don't know--sounds like a reach. The type of thing that works well in the "I love coach" scenario but gets ripped up if somebody decides they don't like the coach. It really is not unlike a lot of Shannon's useless mandates that people mocked because they didn't like him.

Advertisement
For those taughting Richt's rules will help cut down on in game penalties, his UGA teams have historically been some of the most penalized teams in the SEC.

Link to article
SEC's most, least penalized teams over last 5 years

So let's what happens with these new rules. As for not wearing jewelry I think that is a bit much along with some other rules I won't get into.

Go Canes

It's rinse and repeat with every coach we have had in here: discipline, disciprin. I think it's burdensome on the players. Anecdotally, I don't see a correlation with these behaviors and success.

If the players want to buy in, come together, discover and follow leaders, that's entirely aside from this aesthetic crap. These policies sound like mind ******* instead of enabling development.

I will say this I grew up kind of poor. My high school coach required we all wear a tie and non- jeans type of pants on game day.
i revolted out of embarrassment because I owned neither.
He sat me on the bench first game over this and threatened to keep doing it. The next game day I showed up to school like usual. My coach called me in the office and said why are you doing this to your teammates ? Long story short I told him I did not have those things and was not about to ask my dad to buy them. He thinks I should get a job and guit playing football.
My coach left school and went home to his closet and brought me some dress clothes back. I remember him teaching me how to ty a tie.
as I went off to college I was glad to have learned these things instead of doing it in front of my teammates in college.
this was one of the reasons I went into coaching!

Hooked on phonics didn't work for some of you. OP said Richt PREFERS them to be shaven. No drugs and no theft?!?! Say it ain't so!! In case you didn't know, this program has been a dumpster fire for a decade. Richt, unlike Golden and Shannon, has a proven track record of success in arguably the toughest conference.

Advertisement
Back