Richt on WQAM

Advertisement
Gaynor must be dealing with some sort of injury, redshirting him doesn't make a ton of sense.
I think it’s one of the best examples of forward-thinking roster management we’ve seen in a while around here. Centers are hard to come by. For the juice we got last year, it was a wasted year for Gaynor. He wasn’t ready.

Currently, fingers crossed, we don’t have an injury situation forcing him into Center or Guard snaps. So why waste another year playing a few snaps when we can get a full extra year out of him in a unique position (Center)? Plus, considering he still may have a game or two left and be able to shirt under new rules, I’d save those free passes for later in the season. I think it’s a really excellent job by the coaches. Credit where it’s due.

When the qb throws a deep int and that would have been further than a punt you know you have problems. I would rather have the qb just hail mary it every punt situation.

I think it’s one of the best examples of forward-thinking roster management we’ve seen in a while around here. Centers are hard to come by. For the juice we got last year, it was a wasted year for Gaynor. He wasn’t ready.

Currently, fingers crossed, we don’t have an injury situation forcing him into Center or Guard snaps. So why waste another year playing a few snaps when we can get a full extra year out of him in a unique position (Center)? Plus, considering he still may have a game or two left and be able to shirt under new rules, I’d save those free passes for later in the season. I think it’s a really excellent job by the coaches. Credit where it’s due.

This. I said it in another thread, the whole "why redshirt player XYZ? He wont stay all 4 years anyway" argument goes out the door with players like Gaynor. He is a 5 year guy. So having him 2 full years manning the OL is huge.

Advertisement
One follow up, Richt gushed about Perry's ability to hit his target in the heart or numbers. He said it gives the receiver time to run after the catch and not worry about protecting himself. He said this is really important when we go down the seam.

If he said this, then he just announced his starter.

Feagles needs to simplify his release. He has way too much going on with how he drops the ball before contact. In practice it sounds like it works. Under pressure it does not. A good special teams coach would have already fixed this.

Im no expert, but I do play one sitting on bar stools drunk yelling at the TV...

Isn't that D1P5 Day 1 stuff for a punter development program?

Can Hartley just recruit but not teach the proper technique?

Can Feagles actually perform in practice but wilts under the glare of the lights when it counts?

Something is broke hard. Very hard.

One thing that always made our teams great was the leadership from the players. It sounds like were starting to see it on multiple accounts from both offense and defensive players

Advertisement
I think his precision and pace on passes to RBs in the flats is great. The rope to Harley in the seam on Saturday was a beauty. Rosier floats that one in there and possibly gets batted down/picked off. Does he have confidence in arming it into a tight spot (like the Harley square in where Harley made a great catch after the safety put his hand on it)? Probably. Will it lead to incompletes or INTs? Probably. But, the upside is much higher than the downside.
Voila. The kid is allowing the RB's to catch the ball in STRIDE ( They don't have to reach back, or climb the stairs to make the catch. ). There's no need to " gun " the ball to them. Just take " something off " the pass.

This. I said it in another thread, the whole "why redshirt player XYZ? He wont stay all 4 years anyway" argument goes out the door with players like Gaynor. He is a 5 year guy. So having him 2 full years manning the OL is huge.
He could potentially be our starting center for 3 years, right? With guys like Scaife, Reed, Campbell, Neal and others around him. We’re talking about finally having some legitimate NFL talent and depth on the OL, with a veteran mainstay in the middle. Hope it works out.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Voila. The kid is allowing the RB's to catch the ball in STRIDE ( They don't have to reach back, or climb the stairs to make the catch. ). There's no need to " gun " the ball to them. Just take " something off " the pass.

I don't mind some zip on those screens, teams know we use them and we can't just lob it out there. What did concern me was the pass on that dig/post route to harley, he made a great catch but a better safety likely picks that, missing a wide open Cam Davis on the wheel route, the long pick (I know no harm but interceptions are bad so it has to be listed) and he finished 5-12 (again could be because we had a lot of our depth players getting burn but still against FIU that is not good) I am all for the change though and rolling with the momentum.

One thing that always made our teams great was the leadership from the players. It sounds like were starting to see it on multiple accounts from both offense and defensive players

+1, did i read on here last week, or maybe the week before, that Thomas (i think) jumped Rosier's *** at halftime about being wide open and not getting the ball, only to be benched for second half for doing it. Is that accurate ?

I wouldn't expect Richt to give QB preparation to UNC's defense on a silver platter this week.
Having to prepare for 2 is alot more tedious than 1.

offense does not really change except getting better

I’m going by what I have seen so far. Wiggins has gotten more snaps than Pope. Hopefully Pope finds his way into the rotation.

Pope looks like he's playing behind JT and Harley. Wiggins is likely playing behind Cager and that's it. Notice that Hightower gets some burn as well given that Richards has been out since LSU. Different circumstances.

Advertisement
Back