Rhett By The Numbers: Who The **** Is This Guy?

The Offensive Coordinator Hot Board isn't as hot as everyone would want to believe.

Lashlee:

Runs a spread.
W/tempo
Ideally learned some Air Raid concepts from Dykes, which should improve QB play.
Has big program/conference experience.
Young, hopefully ambitious enough to work towards a HC job somewhere.

Considering all we have to say bad about Manny and his status as coach, this is as good of a get as one could realistically hope for.

Advertisement
Yeah it’s easy to get snookered by total offense numbers when a guy is running 80+ plays per game. Show me 3rd down, yards per play, red zone, yards per pass attempt.

He’s being lauded for his work at smu, but that offense took a dive his first year.

Pretty clear our total offense would improve dramatically under him. It’ll be a much more fun offense to watch. But will it help lead to more wins by converting 3rd downs and scoring in the redzone? Keep in mind also that running 80+ plays is fun, but we’re going to give up a lot more points too.
You don’t have to give up more points because you play at a faster pace. Osu averaged 78 plays per game which was 7th and they had the #1 defense.

Advertisement
We won't be able to find a perfect or even great OC to work for Diaz let alone come to Miami. It's not for everyone, but some of the names we have heard like Rhett and Hakensauce are what we have wanted at Miami. Won't lie I love the yards per play numbers Hakens put up. I'm a little hesitant on Rhett because was it a run game coordinators and pass game with Dykes? Or was it all on Rhett and he learned a little air raid from Dykes? Because if he did learn a little I would love some of that run game he brings with some air raid. Either way if we get either of these guys and not someone like Applewhite I may watch the games next year, still undecided.

Please hire.

I've been watching film on him since his name got leak and he runs EXACTLY what we need offensive.

Spread WR Formations Sideline to Sideline? Check.
A lot of bubble screens? Check.
Read Option, RPO? Check.
QB run game? Check. A lot of Auburn QB run stuff
Up Tempo? Check. Routinely snapped the ball with 17-20 seconds left on the play clock. Often goes no huddle.
Has "check with me" built into the offense to get out of bad plays? Check.
He runs some of that Auburn Power run game while also having spread run.
WR Motions? Yes.
Vertical passing game? Yes.

This is the offense that stresses teams.

"This is the best we can get"

There is another Joe Brady, Sean Gleeson, Mike Yurcich out there.

Go find him. I made numerous posts last year to go hire Sean Gleeson. Me. I'm a ******* jabroni. If Manny Diaz wants any hot tips, he can slide in my DMs and I'll drop him a list of names to go ask.

But...I've seen what Rhett Lashlee can do. Its...whatever.

Last time I did this with Penos, it told a horror story-- and that nightmare eventually came to life in the 2019 season, as he produced an offense that looked like a special Olympics team playing with a lubed up watermelon.

Hopefully this time a lesson was learned, and we make Rhett prove he's been able to produce a top offense at some point in his career. I wanna know if he can move the ball and score, and if he can run high pace

Let's see what we got here with this fella:

Arkansas St, OC/QBs 2012
• Scoring: 26th
• Total Yards: 23rd
• Plays Run: 18th

Auburn, OC/QBs 2013
• Scoring: 12th
• Total Yards: 11th
• Plays Run: 20th

• Auburn, OC/QBs 2014
• Scoring: 27th
• Total Yards: 17th
• Plays Run: 50th

• Auburn, OC/QBs 2015
• Scoring: 74th
• Total Yards: 94th
• Plays Run: 74th

• Auburn, OC/QBs 2016
• Scoring: 49th
• Total Yards: 42nd
• Plays Run: 50th

UConn, OC/QBs 2017
• Scoring: 103rd (previous year: 128th)
• Total Yards: 50th (previous year: 122nd)
• Plays Run: 60th (previous year: 119th)

• SMU, OC/QB, 2018
• Scoring: 54th (previous year: 12th)
• Total Yards: 81st (previous year: 15th)
• Plays Run: 81st

• SMU, OC/QB, 2019
• Scoring: 7th
• Total Yards: 9th
• Plays Run: 5th

- That's 8 seasons.

- The promising takeaway: Half of his career, he had around a top 25 offense in both points per game and yards per game.

- His stop at UConn showed improvement from the prior year before he arrived.

- That team went 3-9 the year before so they were as NFL scouts say, buttcheeks.

- His bad to mediocre years came at Auburn (not sure what the **** happened there) and his first year at SMU.

- I don't know who called plays at Auburn while he was there.

Much better resume than Penos.
He can run pace and tempo well.
Wtf happened at Auburn?
Who called plays at Auburn?
What happened his first year at SMU to cause a plummet?

A young guy who in 8 years has 50% of the time put out a top 25 unit. Intriguing. But why did his boy exile him to ****, and his work at SMU this season proof that he's evolved and is out vengeance?

Thank you, and Fvck Manny Diaz in his lisp hole.

What are the rankings for Rushing Offense, Passing offense, sacks given up and 3rd down conversions?

Advertisement
I think the poster that said put him on ice is right. I don't like the track record but maybe he's adapted. Lots of the other candidates have warts- neither Brady nor Bedenbaugh have been primary playercallers, Fedora has been out of the coaching biz. As far as I can tell, the only candidate who has had nothing but success as a primary playercaller is Yost. Maybe I'm missing someone though.

The other most logical choice with a top 25 red zone offense is Gleason from Ok St. Currently making 550k.
Fedora is an analyst at Texas, he was on the sideline with Herman & helped him with the game plan for their bowl game vs Utah.

What's funny about Buechele is he was a Texas castaway that Herman didn't want & lost his job to Ehlinger.

Transfers to SMU & under Lashlee has his best season of his career.

You don't have to tell me. My best friend is a Texas fan and I loved Buechele as a freshman. Herman ****ed him around cause he likes Ehlinger's mobility and 'intangibles' and it put a ceiling on their offense. Dude is as see it throw it as they come...like JV Justin Herbert.

My friend and I still complain about that decision to this day.

Advertisement
"This is the best we can get"

There is another Joe Brady, Sean Gleeson, Mike Yurcich out there.

Go find him. I made numerous posts last year to go hire Sean Gleeson. Me. I'm a ******* jabroni. If Manny Diaz wants any hot tips, he can slide in my DMs and I'll drop him a list of names to go ask.

But...I've seen what Rhett Lashlee can do. Its...whatever.
That play caller is coaching at a small school in the Southland conference on a team that no one on this board has ever watched or would approve of if we hired him lol.

That play caller is coaching at a small school in the Southland conference on a team that no one on this board has ever watched or would approve of if we hired him lol.

Well, fvck everyone on this board. They all liked Enos.

(I, did not...check the logs...you know, I'm just saying, brother)

Robes Search Firm will find us someone.

Fedora is an analyst at Texas, he was on the sideline with Herman & helped him with the game plan for their bowl game vs Utah.

I know. But he basically did it to work with his son. I don't know that he is committed to doing being a full time OC. We don't need another Richt situation of a burnt out coach going through the motions.

Advertisement
Well, fvck everyone on this board. They all liked Enos.

(I, did not...check the logs...you know, I'm just saying, brother)

Robes Search Firm will find us someone.
I didn't, I wanted guys like Jeff Lebby, Zak Hill & Kalen DeBoer before the candidates were being talked about & wanted Sterlin Gilbert before he went to McNeese St. Then when the names of Applewhite & Fedora popped up I was good with Fedora & hated Applesauce.

I don't disagree with your premise, I'm just pointing out the irony of wanting to hire guys like Gleeson, Yurcich or Brady, when in order to find the next version of them we would have to go find one at a small low level school that just about 99% of the board would hate & have a conniption if we did lol.

Those guys were found by P5 programs, not made by them. Those types of coaches don't exist ready made at P5's, the P5 coaches find them in the lower ranks & then they become the coveted play callers that everybody wants.

I didn't, I wanted guys like Jeff Lebby, Zak Hill & Kalen DeBoer before the candidates were being talked about & wanted Sterlin Gilbert before he went to McNeese St. Then when the names of Applewhite & Fedora popped up I was good with Fedora & hated Applesauce.

I don't disagree with your premise, I'm just pointing out the irony of wanting to hire guys like Gleeson, Yurcich or Brady, when in order to find the next version of them we would have to go find one at a small low level school that just about 99% of the board would hate & have a conniption if we did lol.

Those guys were found by P5 programs, not made by them. Those types of coaches don't exist ready made at P5's, the P5 coaches find them in the lower ranks & then they become the coveted play callers that everybody wants.

I believe in my heart when I say this.

If we hired Sean Gleeson last year, we would have just won the Orange Bowl by beating the University of Florida Gators and we'd be a happier people.

The worst part of that alternate reality...we'd think Manny Diaz was a good coach.

OH NO.

I believe in my heart when I say this.

If we hired Sean Gleeson last year, we would have just won the Orange Bowl by beating the University of Florida Gators and we'd be a happier people.

The worst part of that alternate reality...we'd think Manny Diaz was a good coach.

OH NO.
The thing is, I could care less whether or not someone was getting praise for something they may or may not have earned. At the end of the day, I want my Canes to win, so if that means a HC is taking credit for one of his staff's hard work, I could give two craps, as long as we are winning. Also, just as we are dumping on Manny for choosing and sticking with a terrible OC for an entire season, he should also get credit if this next OC wins us 10 games.

At the end of the day, Scoreboard. Moral victories are important to guys who eventually get fired.

Advertisement
Back