Rhett By The Numbers: Who The **** Is This Guy?

Advertisement
He’s run 3 offenses and two were terrible. This year he was great when the best QB in the conference fell into his lap. Pass.
Shane Buechele was a washout from Texas who got beat out and lost his job. He didn't even make honorable mention in AAC. He certainly wasn't the best player in the conference. Not even the best QB.

Advantage of running 80 plays/game: we will almost assuredly start beating the bad teams on our schedule again, just from a conditioning standpoint.

Disadvantage of running 80 plays/game: once a defense with a pulse or a savvy DC adjusts, those 15-second 3-and-out drives start taking their toll on our defense.

Ideally I'd like to see us in the 70s for plays/game (as opposed the 1970s for our offensive philosophy. SMU was 87th in Time of Possession last year (I think we were 72nd?) and 3rd in plays/game at just over 80. You take the good with the bad in an offense like that.

The good news is SMU was 35th last year in rush attempts/game at 41 - we were 117th with 30.8. They averaged around 180 rushing yards/game as well, so for as robust as their passing game was (12th in the nation at 309 ypg) this isn't the Mike Leach Air Raid. We would definitely run the football and apparently run it effectively.

Advantage of running 80 plays/game: we will almost assuredly start beating the bad teams on our schedule again, just from a conditioning standpoint.

Disadvantage of running 80 plays/game: once a defense with a pulse or a savvy DC adjusts, those 15-second 3-and-out drives start taking their toll on our defense.

Ideally I'd like to see us in the 70s for plays/game (as opposed the 1970s for our offensive philosophy. SMU was 87th in Time of Possession last year (I think we were 72nd?) and 3rd in plays/game at just over 80. You take the good with the bad in an offense like that.

The good news is SMU was 35th last year in rush attempts/game at 41 - we were 117th with 30.8. They averaged around 180 rushing yards/game as well, so for as robust as their passing game was (12th in the nation at 309 ypg) this isn't the Mike Leach Air Raid. We would definitely run the football and apparently run it effectively.

This. 3rd down efficiency will be critical if we constantly go fast tempo. I believe we should use tempo strategically, like be prepared to line up like we going fast almost every down, but exercise it when we have clear advantages like when we get gains on 1st down or catching the def substituting or napping or when you see tired defense guys. Defense players get tired when drives are sustained just as much as tempo, so moving the chains is the most important thing, not just running tempo just because.

Guys need to realize Defenses don't get tired when an offense goes 3 and out, but ours will.

Advertisement
Jersey guys love Miami. Buttgers is the biggest toilet in college football. The luster the monkey had at Buttgers in the Big East 10 years ago won’t translate to the Big 10.

I know our fans are beat down and hate all things UM, but if Gleeson has the option, he’d be retarded to choose Buttgers.
Rutgers is an awful job. Still wouldn't surprise me if a Jersey guy decided to go home versus coming here to be on the hot seat with Manny Diaz in year 2, especially after moving his family to Okie State a year ago. Pure speculation though because we have no idea if he even interviewed or was seriously considered.

Shane Buechele was a washout from Texas who got beat out and lost his job. He didn't even make honorable mention in AAC. He certainly wasn't the best player in the conference. Not even the best QB.

He didn’t make honorable mention...he was first team all conference. He also had the first team RB and a first team WR. Nice try though.

Advertisement
None of his offenses were terrible. He basically played with disabled kids at UCONN and they were way better than the year prior under him.
Interesting to note that Evan Shireff's older brother, Bryant, was his QB at UConn in 2017. He transferred from NC State where they had him playing fullback! Not the most talented QB by any stretch but the kid was a football player. Had many concussions, bruised ribs, other injuries in his 3 years but always played his heart out.

Advertisement
3rd down and red zone efficiency always take a hit in a true uptempo spread.

As one would expect.
Traditionally the teams that adopt an uptempo style are those with a talent disadvantage. One would expect that disadvantage to make its greatest appearance closer to the red zone, one everybody is bunched up so scheme matters less.

Advertisement
Last time I did this with Penos, it told a horror story-- and that nightmare eventually came to life in the 2019 season, as he produced an offense that looked like a special Olympics team playing with a lubed up watermelon.

Hopefully this time a lesson was learned, and we make Rhett prove he's been able to produce a top offense at some point in his career. I wanna know if he can move the ball and score, and if he can run high pace

Let's see what we got here with this fella:

Arkansas St, OC/QBs 2012
• Scoring: 26th
• Total Yards: 23rd
• Plays Run: 18th

Auburn, OC/QBs 2013
• Scoring: 12th
• Total Yards: 11th
• Plays Run: 20th

• Auburn, OC/QBs 2014
• Scoring: 27th
• Total Yards: 17th
• Plays Run: 50th

• Auburn, OC/QBs 2015
• Scoring: 74th
• Total Yards: 94th
• Plays Run: 74th

• Auburn, OC/QBs 2016
• Scoring: 49th
• Total Yards: 42nd
• Plays Run: 50th

UConn, OC/QBs 2017
• Scoring: 103rd (previous year: 128th)
• Total Yards: 50th (previous year: 122nd)
• Plays Run: 60th (previous year: 119th)

• SMU, OC/QB, 2018
• Scoring: 54th (previous year: 12th)
• Total Yards: 81st (previous year: 15th)
• Plays Run: 81st

• SMU, OC/QB, 2019
• Scoring: 7th
• Total Yards: 9th
• Plays Run: 5th

- That's 8 seasons.

- The promising takeaway: Half of his career, he had around a top 25 offense in both points per game and yards per game.

- His stop at UConn showed improvement from the prior year before he arrived.

- That team went 3-9 the year before so they were as NFL scouts say, buttcheeks.

- His bad to mediocre years came at Auburn (not sure what the **** happened there) and his first year at SMU.

- I don't know who called plays at Auburn while he was there.

Much better resume than Penos.
He can run pace and tempo well.
Wtf happened at Auburn?
Who called plays at Auburn?
What happened his first year at SMU to cause a plummet?

A young guy who in 8 years has 50% of the time put out a top 25 unit. Intriguing. But why did his boy exile him to ****, and his work at SMU this season proof that he's evolved and is out vengeance?

Thank you, and Fvck Manny Diaz in his lisp hole.
look at it. look.

Does anyone report stats like "points per possession"? It seems like that would trump all other offensive stats.

Is that stat adjusted for field position?

I never liked those type stats because if not adjusted, it won’t show how bad defense and special teams can hamstring an offense.

I personally like to focus on yards per play, red zone, and turnovers.

They don’t play a lot of corners anyway. They were basically using the striker over a nickel corner

I mean most teams do that not just OSU.. they also plays in big ten .. different style of football run oriented rover might just make more sense with the physical play and big o lines ..

Depth isn’t just a fatigue issue .. good depth is essential for top programs .. every team has 2 corners who going to play the most minutes ..but depth with special teams .. brandy blades Ivey were main stays on special teams overall we will wear down .. lack of depth can trickle down in a lot ways .. jmo

252 is right. The D doesn’t have to suffer if you go frenetic tempo. But pointing out one of the top 5 talented teams in the country in Ohio Taint as support isn’t overly persuasive. The overwhelming amount of frenetic tempo teams suffer defensively.

We definitely need to get more plays in, but our defense will regress. I’m almost sure of it. We’ll see though.

Diaz ain’t Bill Parcell’s, but as a defense first coach, we know the defense won’t be neglected by a Mike Leach type who thinks he can just outscore everyone with his genius system.

Defensive coaches are typically the most conservative and slowest to accept the offensive revolution.

Some of the teams making noise are defensive minded head coaches who have given in and embraced a wide open offense.

Hopefully for our sake, we can be one of those teams.

Advertisement
Back