Rhett By The Numbers: Who The **** Is This Guy?

Advantage of running 80 plays/game: we will almost assuredly start beating the bad teams on our schedule again, just from a conditioning standpoint.

Disadvantage of running 80 plays/game: once a defense with a pulse or a savvy DC adjusts, those 15-second 3-and-out drives start taking their toll on our defense.

Ideally I'd like to see us in the 70s for plays/game (as opposed the 1970s for our offensive philosophy. SMU was 87th in Time of Possession last year (I think we were 72nd?) and 3rd in plays/game at just over 80. You take the good with the bad in an offense like that.

The good news is SMU was 35th last year in rush attempts/game at 41 - we were 117th with 30.8. They averaged around 180 rushing yards/game as well, so for as robust as their passing game was (12th in the nation at 309 ypg) this isn't the Mike Leach Air Raid. We would definitely run the football and apparently run it effectively.

It makes you shiver when you realize how many of our “rushing attempts” were sacks.

YIKES!

Advertisement
This guy runs an Air Raid passing attack with all the modern spread option run game wrinkles. Very exciting. This is potentially Gus at Auburn with a much better passing attack.

He was not the playcaller during his time in Auburn. At all. Helped gameplan for the most part. He took over a few times for Malzahn and Malzahn said it was a huge mistake.

UConn and SMU is where you need to judge him as a playcaller. That is where he had autonomy.

His offense is all pace. Ran like 80 plays a game. Its why his Total Offense numbers are so impressive.

His yards per play numbers at UConn and SMU are very middling.
Middling to bad 3rd Down Conversion Rate at SMU and UConn.
Middling to bad Red Zone Conversion Rate at SMU and UConn.

We'd improve under him...but anything is an improvement. He's not for me...but some people will like him because he runs a high paced spread. Maybe we catch lightening in a bottle with him and its just a "fit", but someone is going to have to sell me that Rhett Lashlee was the best available hire. I think you're slumming.
well said.

Advertisement
Just watched a tiny bit of film from SMU vs. Temple and I can at least say that we should be very happy with his route combinations. Very pretty and guys getting 1-on-1 matchups all day. Not screen-based either, deep posts and curls all day long. Inside zone runs and matchup based passing. So far so good.

If we take off the orange and green glasses, we are a mediocre program with a HC on a hot seat. One could argue that both Enos and this guy took a chance on us rather than the other way around.

We are better off today than we were 3 weeks ago.

Advertisement
Back