Rhett By The Numbers: Who The **** Is This Guy?

2019 SMU

Rush O - 43
Pass O - 13
3rd down conversion percentage - 31
Sacks Given Up - 14

These are all from NCAA.com
Man, that looks beautiful! I gotta stop getting excited about him joining us until it's official. If he joins the Canes, I cannot wait to see the new O.!

Advertisement
You guys may be understating how much UConns offense improved under Lashlee. While 128th to 103rd may not seem incredible, UConn was 128th by a very large margin. They scored 9 more points/game in 2017, which would’ve been enough to move the 100th offense into the top 30.

Last time I did this with Penos, it told a horror story-- and that nightmare eventually came to life in the 2019 season, as he produced an offense that looked like a special Olympics team playing with a lubed up watermelon.

Hopefully this time a lesson was learned, and we make Rhett prove he's been able to produce a top offense at some point in his career. I wanna know if he can move the ball and score, and if he can run high pace

Let's see what we got here with this fella:

Arkansas St, OC/QBs 2012
• Scoring: 26th
• Total Yards: 23rd
• Plays Run: 18th

Auburn, OC/QBs 2013
• Scoring: 12th
• Total Yards: 11th
• Plays Run: 20th

• Auburn, OC/QBs 2014
• Scoring: 27th
• Total Yards: 17th
• Plays Run: 50th

• Auburn, OC/QBs 2015
• Scoring: 74th
• Total Yards: 94th
• Plays Run: 74th

• Auburn, OC/QBs 2016
• Scoring: 49th
• Total Yards: 42nd
• Plays Run: 50th

UConn, OC/QBs 2017
• Scoring: 103rd (previous year: 128th)
• Total Yards: 50th (previous year: 122nd)
• Plays Run: 60th (previous year: 119th)

• SMU, OC/QB, 2018
• Scoring: 54th (previous year: 12th)
• Total Yards: 81st (previous year: 15th)
• Plays Run: 81st

• SMU, OC/QB, 2019
• Scoring: 7th
• Total Yards: 9th
• Plays Run: 5th

- That's 8 seasons.

- The promising takeaway: Half of his career, he had around a top 25 offense in both points per game and yards per game.

- His stop at UConn showed improvement from the prior year before he arrived.

- That team went 3-9 the year before so they were as NFL scouts say, buttcheeks.

- His bad to mediocre years came at Auburn (not sure what the **** happened there) and his first year at SMU.

- I don't know who called plays at Auburn while he was there.

Much better resume than Penos.
He can run pace and tempo well.
Wtf happened at Auburn?
Who called plays at Auburn?
What happened his first year at SMU to cause a plummet?

A young guy who in 8 years has 50% of the time put out a top 25 unit. Intriguing. But why did his boy exile him to ****, and his work at SMU this season proof that he's evolved and is out vengeance?

Thank you, and Fvck Manny Diaz in his lisp hole.
Can you do these for the other guys as well?

Advertisement
"This is the best we can get"

There is another Joe Brady, Sean Gleeson, Mike Yurcich out there.

Go find him. I made numerous posts last year to go hire Sean Gleeson. Me. I'm a ******* jabroni. If Manny Diaz wants any hot tips, he can slide in my DMs and I'll drop him a list of names to go ask.

But...I've seen what Rhett Lashlee can do. Its...whatever.

Yea, just go “find him”....lol
Pretty sure I seen him walking down street the other day, just go find him

Not the best, not the worst candidate.

I would be intrigued to see his offense ran with the kind of players we can bring in. The Chaney's, Pope's, Knighton's of the world.

At least he's not some journeyman bum. Young guy still evolving. What he runs now isn't Auburn's offense. I don't put a lot of stake into those few years. I don't like Malzahn's offense and they couldn't find a QB to save their life.

He has a track record of improving offenses when he's the guy at least.

Yeah it’s easy to get snookered by total offense numbers when a guy is running 80+ plays per game. Show me 3rd down, yards per play, red zone, yards per pass attempt.

He’s being lauded for his work at smu, but that offense took a dive his first year.

Pretty clear our total offense would improve dramatically under him. It’ll be a much more fun offense to watch. But will it help lead to more wins by converting 3rd downs and scoring in the redzone? Keep in mind also that running 80+ plays is fun, but we’re going to give up a lot more points too.
3rd down % - 30th in the county at 44.4%
Red zone TD % - 68th at 60.29%
Yards per rush - 63rd at 4.46 ypc
Yards per pass attempt - 32nd at 8.19 ypa

Solid but not great by any means

Numbers definitely rigged by total plays per game

3rd down % - 30th in the county at 44.4%
Red zone TD % - 68th at 60.29%
Yards per rush - 63rd at 4.46 ypc
Yards per pass attempt - 32nd at 8.19 ypa

Solid but not great by any means

Numbers definitely rigged by total plays per game
Exactly what I suspected. People bag on Buechele here too, but he is a veteran QB who had success at Texas in Sterlin Gilbert’s offense.

They also had a 3 really good veteran WRs including a portal guy or two. Their talent was better than most of their competition, and I just can’t get the last impression of Lashlee out of my mind.

Like I said, his offense would be more fun for us to watch simply because of the pace and yards we would pile up. But our two major problems are 3rd down and redzone. And I don’t know how much he’ll help there.

Advertisement
"This is the best we can get"

There is another Joe Brady, Sean Gleeson, Mike Yurcich out there.

Go find him. I made numerous posts last year to go hire Sean Gleeson. Me. I'm a ******* jabroni. If Manny Diaz wants any hot tips, he can slide in my DMs and I'll drop him a list of names to go ask.

But...I've seen what Rhett Lashlee can do. Its...whatever.
Agreed. I think Lashlee would move us in the right direction, but Gleeson is by far my top choice. The combination of the offense he runs, and his reputation as a great teacher/motivator that the players also love, would make him the ideal choice, especially given the types of issues we have on offense right now. Has anyone seen any news on him, as far as showing willingness to move on to a different program, or does he seem to be set where he is for now?

Pretty clear our total offense would improve dramatically under him. It’ll be a much more fun offense to watch. But will it help lead to more wins by converting 3rd downs and scoring in the redzone? Keep in mind also that running 80+ plays is fun, but we’re going to give up a lot more points too.

That part isn't an issue, bro. If there's one thing we can't criticize Manny over it's that his defenses always make the critical stops when the game is on the line. Even moreso with the seasoned tactician Blake Baker makin' the calls. Oh. Wait.

On the surface this could be fun. A frenetically fast offense that doesn't materialize on 3rd down or in the red zone AND the additional bending of what has proven to be a very breakable defense.

Sign me up. No not for a season ticket renewal.

I’m inherently skeptical of guys who pace all the time. Pace puts pressure on defenses. Problem is it puts pressure on both defenses. I’d like to see pace when the opposition defense is down but ball control when needed.

I have watched a little of SMU this year and their success is so to a QB who can hit vertical routes when defenses overplay the run.Good use of what he had but very player specific IMO.

Our hiring search is most hamstrung by the lack of talent and confidence at QB and OL right now. Do we even have the ability to run uptempo or spread? Reminds me very much of Taggart bringing in Briles to try and fix a similar mess and look at what little he was able to achieve at FSU
That's one of two concerns for me. The other being the culture set by the HC himself. I am concerned that with the QBs we have on the roster, we will set a record for fastest three and outs in history.

Don't get me wrong, I WANT us to be able to go fast and light up the scoreboard. I also cringe when I think of any of our QBs throwing three passes in 10 seconds.

Advertisement
You don’t have to give up more points because you play at a faster pace. Osu averaged 78 plays per game which was 7th and they had the #1 defense.

I agree. If you come out and start putting up points you start putting pressure on the other teams O to come out and score to keep up. Once they panic they start making mistakes, doing things they didn't game plan for, and start turning the ball over.

Look at the ND game from a couple of years ago. If we sit and let them hang around for a quarter or 2 that's a whole different ball game.

People used whatever S&P is to try and tell me Penos was good.

I don't trust all that Gypsy voodoo analytics now. I'm an old crusty Saban and Belicheck looking candidates in the eye and asking one thing:

did you move the ball and did you score?

honestly brother, i remember looking up the S&P on Enos last year, and it actually showed more of what he truly was. Those rankings were a red flag for me and why i ultimately did not like the hire. Those numbers were worse than his overall rankings based on the standard points or yards

EDIT: went back and found the post from a year ago. here were his rankings at arkansas...sharp decline:

Dan Enos S&P ranking at Arkansas:
2015 - 4
2016 - 39
2017 - 43

Last edited:
Advertisement
You guys may be understating how much UConns offense improved under Lashlee. While 128th to 103rd may not seem incredible, UConn was 128th by a very large margin. They scored 9 more points/game in 2017, which would’ve been enough to move the 100th offense into the top 30.
Take it from someone who knows both programs. Lashlee came to UConn in 2017 and worked wonders with the offense. WR's wide open like UConn had never seen before. 2 of his top 3 WR's rarely played after 2017 for various head coaching reasons and a philosophy change after Lashlee left. Another walk-on WR caught 6 for 108 and 2 TD's in a game. Guy never saw the field at WR in 2018 or 2019. To me, it says he can take players that aren't the most talented and find ways to get them open. He'd have so much more talent to work with at Miami that the results will be positive.

Agreed. I think Lashlee would move us in the right direction, but Gleeson is by far my top choice. The combination of the offense he runs, and his reputation as a great teacher/motivator that the players also love, would make him the ideal choice, especially given the types of issues we have on offense right now. Has anyone seen any news on him, as far as showing willingness to move on to a different program, or does he seem to be set where he is for now?
There’s been rumors about him and Rutgers. He’s likely losing Wallace and Hubbard so moving may make sense for him. Still like him over Lashlee too.

The Offensive Coordinator Hot Board isn't as hot as everyone would want to believe.

Lashlee:

Runs a spread.
W/tempo
Ideally learned some Air Raid concepts from Dykes, which should improve QB play.
Has big program/conference experience.
Young, hopefully ambitious enough to work towards a HC job somewhere.

Considering all we have to say bad about Manny and his status as coach, this is as good of a get as one could realistically hope for.
This is what excites me the most about Lashlee. From what I have seen/read, Lashlee was running more of a run-heavy spread option at Auburn but when he got to SMU he incorporated Dykes/Leach air raid concepts into his system. The numbers seem to indicate that these adjustments worked extremely well. Maybe we are getting him at just the right point in his career.

What makes anyone think Gleason would leave Ok St? ****, if we're just assuming anyone would would a stable job for a **** show like Miami, lets go for Sean Peyton or Greg Roman.

Advertisement
Back