Rhett By The Numbers: Who The **** Is This Guy?

I'm on the fence with this guy. I say put him on ice and keep the search going. Not a bad backup plan, but take the time to see who else is out there and who has interest.

Maybe also during that time kidnap Manny stuff him in a crate and ship him to Timbuktu.

Advertisement
People used whatever S&P is to try and tell me Penos was good.

I don't trust all that Gypsy voodoo analytics now. I'm an old crusty Saban and Belicheck looking candidates in the eye and asking one thing:

did you move the ball and did you score?
source (3).gif

Rhett has proven he can score points even in the SEC. We won’t face many SEC type defenses in the ACC.

Space and Pace and I think even with our roster you’ll see significant improvement.

The perfect OC doesn’t exist and their doesn’t seem to be a guy, you folks can name outside of Yost and Brady, that you will all like.

Advertisement
Our hiring search is most hamstrung by the lack of talent and confidence at QB and OL right now. Do we even have the ability to run uptempo or spread? Reminds me very much of Taggart bringing in Briles to try and fix a similar mess and look at what little he was able to achieve at FSU

Advertisement
He was not the playcaller during his time in Auburn. At all. Helped gameplan for the most part. He took over a few times for Malzahn and Malzahn said it was a huge mistake.

UConn and SMU is where you need to judge him as a playcaller. That is where he had autonomy.

His offense is all pace. Ran like 80 plays a game. Its why his Total Offense numbers are so impressive.

His yards per play numbers at UConn and SMU are very middling.
Middling to bad 3rd Down Conversion Rate at SMU and UConn.
Middling to bad Red Zone Conversion Rate at SMU and UConn.

We'd improve under him...but anything is an improvement. He's not for me...but some people will like him because he runs a high paced spread. Maybe we catch lightening in a bottle with him and its just a "fit", but someone is going to have to sell me that Rhett Lashlee was the best available hire. I think you're slumming.
Yeah it’s easy to get snookered by total offense numbers when a guy is running 80+ plays per game. Show me 3rd down, yards per play, red zone, yards per pass attempt.

He’s being lauded for his work at smu, but that offense took a dive his first year.

Pretty clear our total offense would improve dramatically under him. It’ll be a much more fun offense to watch. But will it help lead to more wins by converting 3rd downs and scoring in the redzone? Keep in mind also that running 80+ plays is fun, but we’re going to give up a lot more points too.

Not sure what to make of Lashlee. He’s had some really bad seasons but those numbers he put up at SMU this year are insane. Hard to ignore.

I think the poster that said put him on ice is right. I don't like the track record but maybe he's adapted. Lots of the other candidates have warts- neither Brady nor Bedenbaugh have been primary playercallers, Fedora has been out of the coaching biz. As far as I can tell, the only candidate who has had nothing but success as a primary playercaller is Yost. Maybe I'm missing someone though.

The other most logical choice with a top 25 red zone offense is Gleason from Ok St. Currently making 550k.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Yeah it’s easy to get snookered by total offense numbers when a guy is running 80+ plays per game. Show me 3rd down, yards per play, red zone, yards per pass attempt.

He’s being lauded for his work at smu, but that offense took a dive his first year.

Pretty clear our total offense would improve dramatically under him. It’ll be a much more fun offense to watch. But will it help lead to more wins by converting 3rd downs and scoring in the redzone? Keep in mind also that running 80+ plays is fun, but we’re going to give up a lot more points too.
Yeah man I’m with you.

I’m also wary of the total offense and how it effects our defense.

Does the guy create mismatches? Does he adjust?

In all fairness he may, I just have no idea. The numbers don’t excite me.

Advertisement
Agreed. Manny wasnt a slam dunk DC hire but managed to be a great fit here.

I dunno. Not wild about it but still need to learn more.
I think I would ultimately be okay with him because he at least runs the right system. If it doesn’t work, so be it, but at least we are finally trying something different.

I like Leshlee but I also want to know who the other candidates are as well. Hopefully they start leaking in the next couple days.

Advertisement
Back