Pinckney was inconsistent
Bandy was mostly fine
Garvin was up and down
Quarterman was consistent

Would have liked to see them in the old 'Desert Swarm' 4-4 defense:

DL Patchan / Nnoruka / Bethel / Martin
LB Garvin / Shaq / Pinckney / Hill
DB Bandy / Knowles / Finley

I thought Knowles would be good. He was not good. His limitations athletically, which are clear in retrospect when looking at testing numbers, prevented him from ever being a true Miami-caliber safety.

But we need to stop using his name as a slur on this board. The man stayed five years, never quit, took a ton of crap from the fanbase and worked himself into a serviceable safety. Rewatching the FSU game, I had forgotten how well he played.

There are plenty of busts and quitters who can be used as shorthand for a "bad Miami player." Knowles should never again be mentioned with those guys. He was a true Cane who didn't quit and earned his scholarship.

The thing that irritated me the most about it was the Q-Anon conspiracy theorists that said Knowles was only playing because the coaches were playing favorites and that Knowles didn't DESERVE to be out there. I took a lot of heat for daring to say that Knowles earned his spot on the field through hard work and determination. No doubt the kid had his physical limitations, but he put in the work year by year so that by his final year he wasn't a liability. He always played with maximum effort, which is more than I can say for a lot of players.

Advertisement
that guy was the epitome of a bartender trying to prove he can "coach up" someone to play at the level needed.

I don't blame knowles, I blame banda for constantly trying to show everyone how good he is... guy sucks.

Advertisement
Not a great Cane on the field (at least first few years) but seemed a good teammate. His game against FSU made a lot of amends for me. Sorry I can't hate the guy, he took the opportunities he was given and did his best.

Sometimes i sit back and watch us slander kids on these boards but Knowles got the most out of anyone Ive ever seen since Jacory Harris. I mean we complain when the hometown kids dont stay home and play for us, but maybe they see the ridicule the hometown kids get when they dont play well.

Heres a hometown kid who did everything he was asked, stayed out of trouble, graduated thats non debatable.

Now as far as his play...was he the most athletic, most instinctual? No definitely not... how much of that was hit fault? How much of that was coaching? I mean he kept getting on the field so whats that say?

Advertisement
Like Rosier, he's a great benchmark of the situation we find ourselves in as a football team.

Neither one is talented enough to start on (what the mind's eye conjures when we think of) a University of Miami football team, but we've been terrible for a decade.

Both kids worked hard, didn't get in trouble and gave it their all. Much like the attention Jimmy Murphy got last year - I don't begrudge them that moment. We just all have higher standards.

As you correctly state, there's a plethora of players that could be used as the byword for **** Canes. Knowles ain't it.
Perfectly stated. Some players are limited but you cant fault guys that continually give 100% effort and are true Canes

While we're at it, I'd like to revisit and congratulate Bar Milo. He came to practice for 4 years and never thought of leaving. He may not have been power 5 level, but he deserves our recognition for being 100% Cane.

While we're at it, I'd like to revisit and congratulate Bar Milo. He came to practice for 4 years and never thought of leaving. He may not have been power 5 level, but he deserves our recognition for being 100% Cane.
Idiotic comment that is exactly what I'd expect on CIS. Kid doesn't come to Miami? Roast him for not putting on for his hometown. Kid comes to Miami and doesn't live up to expectations? Put him on blast for sucking even though I can't even run a mile I'm so out of shape. Christ, it's not even worth the time. You COMPLETELY miss the point of DMoney's post

Advertisement
Back