Reviewing Tito Odenigbo

HurricaneVision

Staff Writer
With the news that Miami is adding a grad transfer from Illinois to help fill the void at the NT position, I decided to review his film to see how he compares with the man he is said to help replace in Kendrick Norton. Illinois and Miami shared a common opponent in Wisconsin, so I thought that would be the perfect game to compare the two players.

Tito is #94 and Norton is #7 in any stills of the game.

First play, Wisconsin runs a play-action bootleg left. Norton is blocked 1-on-1 at first, then they blocked down with the LG as well. Norton is where he should be as he’s handling the cutback and has pushed onto the other side of the LOS.

1.jpg

Next rep, Norton is turned too easily and walled off with one blocker. Stuck at the line, this is a loss for Norton.
2.jpg

Norton goes off on third downs, so after a first down is allowed, Norton is back on for the first down play. He knifes through and is in the backfield on the play, but the run was designed to go away from him the whole way and he doesn’t have the speed to get to the RB, who goes for a big run. This is the play Taylor fumbled at the end of the run.
3.jpg

Now, we have the first drive for Wisconsin against Tito. He is pushed out of the hole here. He needs to anchor this spot and not allow his shoulders to be turned in a 1-on-1 battle vs. the LG. Tito is tasked with a lot here, but it’s a loss.
5.jpg

Second down, Tito is the guy being blocked by #67 here. He is turned out of the hole too easily here. He needs to use his inside arm to control the blocker and flow down the line here. Luckily, Illinois gets penetration and makes a tackle for loss, or this is going for a big run in his gap.
6.jpg

Tito is off the field on third down and Wisconsin goes 3-and-out.

Norton is on the field for Wisconsin’s next possession. Here, he does the perfect job of turning the G’s shoulders inside and getting penetration past the LOS (he’s the man next to #80 in this picture). The edge is given up and this run goes outside, but Norton won that rep.
7.jpg

Next rep Norton is controlled in pass protection. He’s now 4-2 on reps this game, while Tito is 0-2. Norton goes out on the next rep and they move Moten with ease and gash up up-the-middle in that spot. Moten then won his next reps to go 2-1 on the drive.

Tito is back in for the next drive for Wisconsin after sitting out the last drive. They block down on him and he handles his gap decently as he stays with the play. I’ll give him the win here.
8.jpg

Next play, I will say that Tito is quick. He gets into this gap quickly (he’s the guy on the ground) but it’s a fly sweep and the ball was gone long before he had any chance. The LG releases to the next level without blocking him. Because of how quick he was off-the-ball, I’ll give him a win to get to 2-2. He comes off on 3rd down and they get a stop. Wisconsin doesn’t have a first down yet. Then Illinois gets a penalty on the punt and Wisconsin gets a first down.
9.jpg

Tito is out of the next group of downs.
Next possession for Wisconsin with Norton. He gets pushed back here. He needs to shock the lineman with violent hands and get him into the backfield here. That would force the RB to run wider on this play and allow the backside defenders to flow downhill.
10.jpg

Norton pushes the backside on the next play, which is a rollout away from him. No win/loss on that play. Not pictured.

Something that gets taken for granted is how well Norton moves for a big man. Here, he swims over the C and you can see him looking back from the LOS like “what just happened?” I wish he’d have kept his balance and swallowed up the RB here, but his quickness definitely gives him the win here. Miami gets stop on next play as Norton is out on 3rd down. 5-3.
11.jpg

This is the best play for Tito thus far. Here he beats the RG inside and blows up the play. The RB is forced to bounce this run outside. He’s the guy with the G diving at his waist here. Big win for Tito to get to 3-2.
12.jpg

Big loss for Tito here. He gets completely turned and moved out by #66 here. They run right in behind this. You can’t get bullied like this.
13.jpg

Tito has to have stronger, more violent hands here. You can’t allow your guy to run right by you like #65 does here, then allow the RT to get that position and just shield you with a shoulder here. He has to either hold up that G better so the LB get in behind him, or shock that G with heavy hands, then duck underneath him and beat that RT to this spot and make this play. You see the last OL for Wisconsin leaning in, that’s on #94 .
14.jpg

You see the two Wisconsin OL grouped together three yards downfield? That’s a double-team block on #94 and he gets destroyed. This moves Tito to 3-5 on the day. He’s having a tough day thus far.
15.jpg

One thing I can tell you that I see with Tito already is a lack of technique. You see how he’s the only DL with his head down, completely looking at the ground? He’s also bent over at the waist. You lose power, vision, leverage playing this way. He needs to be exploding with knees bent, flat back, head up, elbows in and exploding with his hand punch. The DT opposite him has much better technique in this shot. You notice Tito has completely lost sight of the ball here and he’s taking his momentum away from the ball carrier.
16.jpg

You don’t want your defensive linemen on the ground. This is four straight losses for Tito.
17.jpg

He beats the G here. This is honestly a hold, not called. He’s quicker than he is stout in my review. You see #67 with a complete bear hug on him here. He played on the FG block team as well, so maybe he can give depth there also. He’s 4-6 on the day.
17.jpg

After looking at a quarter each for these players, it’s clear to me they are not at all similar players. Norton is much bigger, at 310 pounds and is a player who is strong enough to hold his ground inside without being turned. Tito is a smaller player, at roughly 300 pounds, and he seems to be more of a penetrator type. He’s fairly quick, so you have to hope that some time with Coach Kul will clean up some of his technique issues and allow his game-IQ to improve, as he struggles to find the ball. Hopefully our strength program is better than Illinois’ as he needs to get a lot stronger. He also needs to improve his balance, as he is on the ground much more than I like to see from my DT’s.

Right now, Tito compares to Anthony Moten more than McIntosh or Norton. I’d say he’s an ok addition since he has some experience and is going to be stronger than most incoming freshmen, but I’d be surprised if he played more than a decent rotational role here.

Advertisement
So basically we wasted a scholarship as I thought. I could be wrong and he could turn into Colbert but you honestly don't get that lucky twice.

I think we'll be completely fine at DL in terms of starters. It the depth. I doubt this guy will really help depth wise IMO.

So basically we wasted a scholarship as I thought. I could be wrong and he could turn into Colbert but you honestly don't get that lucky twice.

I think we'll be completely fine at DL in terms of starters. It the depth. I doubt this guy will really help depth wise IMO.
It's not a wasted Scholly if it's going unused.....We were at like 70 scolarship players in the OB. We're fixing to have serious depth issues on the interior next year.....I welcome the signing.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

It's not a wasted Scholly if it's going unused.....We were at like 70 scolarship players in the OB. We're fixing to have serious depth issues on the interior next year.....I welcome the signing.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

He means wasted as in a miami type guy super talented 1st round sauce type

Advertisement

It’s not a “wasted scholarship.” We aren’t going to be at 85 and he is going to the 5th defensive tackle most likely.

It’s not a “wasted scholarship.” We aren’t going to be at 85 and he is going to the 5th defensive tackle most likely.

You don't take transfer in hopes he can edge out Tyreic Martin as the 5th DT.

You don't take transfer in hopes he can edge out Tyreic Martin as the 5th DT.

Yes you do. We traded Ryan Fines for this guy. This guy is better. There is no downside to this.

Advertisement
Who the **** thought Tito was gonna be a starter in the first place?

Willis, Bethel, Ford & Silvera are slated to be the top 4 in the DT rotation.

Adding Tito is just to provide experience & depth in case of injury & situational snaps on run downs.

Anything you get out of this kid is nothing more than a plus, we were never looking for a DT to start, just needed more bodies.

He's a 1 year rental. If he plays above expectations then great, it's a win win situation. Why is everything so difficult for Miami fans to understand? Smh.

Adding Tito is just to provide experience & depth in case of injury & situational snaps on run downs.

Anything you get out of this kid is nothing more than a plus, we were never looking for a DT to start, just needed more bodies.

He's a 1 year rental. If he plays above expectations then great, it's a win win situation. Why is everything so difficult for Miami fans to understand? Smh.

This pretty much sums it up he wont see the field as much as those other guys hes a filler, we need bodies

I don't know how anyone can see this is a bad thing.

We lost 4 DTs and 3 DEs - 7 linemen. I repeat.....7. Thus far, we have signed 1 in Rousseau, who will need time to put on weight. Nesta is committed to make 2.

This move is strictly depth. We need to rotate guys to keep them fresh. Nesta will play Day 1 and rotate with Willis, Ford and Bethel. But that's all we have right now. So again, how is this a bad thing? If anyone gets nicked, we could keep a 4-man rotation. If we play run dominant teams, we could kick Willis out to SDE and play more size inside while still have a 4-man rotation. If we can sign more DTs/DEs in the 18 class, maybe the kid doesn't really play much. But regardless, it's not a bad thing and he will move on next year to free up the scholarship for the 19 DTs we are already on.

Sorry dude I disagree. Its not that i dislike using a scholarship on a grad transfer dt, it who we used it on that i dont like.

This was a retarded use of a scholarship if this dude can't fill the role of Norton. We needed to use this on a ******* NT. And preferably one that can actually start. I mean the need for a pure NT isn't as bad as it would be if we were a 34 team, but this scholarship could have been used better. We really better hope this dude is ready to not get washed on double teams and be a force against the run and ****.

You name all those DT's, but how many of them are actually ready to be a starting NT taking on double teams and shutting down the run? Thats the problem. Tito is a 3tech DT. We don't need that. Literally Willis and Bethel are pure 3tech DTs and can't line up at 1tech unless its a pass down. Ford and Nesta are the guys we're gunna have to rock with at 1tech, but they are underclassman, and how they hold up against the run is what is worrying....Plus all the DTs we are still recruiting Except for Keondre Coburn are 3tech DTs.

In summation, Tito is a 3tech Dt, that we are likely going to be playing 1tech. Secondly We do not need 3tech DTs. EVERY DT we currently have or are going after can play 3tech. It would have made much more sense to get a pure NT as a grad transfer. This would be a win-win if that grad transfer was a proven 1tech dt, but he's not.

Advertisement
In other words, the DLine for next year is going to be bad.

Its not going to be as experienced. Gotta hope our LBs step up in the run game this year. Luckily we have 2 seniors at safety that should be able to eliminate most mistakes also.

But I actually think this year we could get more sacks with Jackson and Garvin both being another year into it. And willis is going to creat a **** load of pressure up the middle, just like McIntosh did. I'm excited to see Jon Ford and Nesta Silvera this season. Im just a little worried how we're going to hold up against the run.

Kul will have them ready though.

Its not going to be as experienced. Gotta hope our LBs step up in the run game this year. Luckily we have 2 seniors at safety that should be able to eliminate most mistakes also.

But I actually think this year we could get more sacks with Jackson and Garvin both being another year into it. And willis is going to creat a **** load of pressure up the middle, just like McIntosh did. I'm excited to see Jon Ford and Nesta Silvera this season. Im just a little worried how we're going to hold up against the run.

There is no need for semantics. This site is very proficient at that skill. Not as experienced is the same thing as not as good as this year. The opposite of good is bad. Simply.

Guys like Nesta and Ford are going to need a couple years to develop. They are not walking into this season like an Ed Oliver or Marvin Austin day 1 with that intimidation factor. Willis is not dependable. I'm just hoping he makes it past mat drills right now. Too unstable. Jackson needs to take that next step. Toward the end of the season the guy disappeared. Garvin will have his moments but still needs more time and snaps to develop.

The linebackers need to take that next step. I am not sure if they are at the point where they can provide that cover for the DLine if an assignment is missed. I said in another thread, Shaq, Pinckney and McCloud will have to be the strength of the D and take over games next season. I hope they get there.

Advertisement
If he compared more to Norton or Mcintosh, wouldn’t logic put him in the draft? By comparing him to Moten we will get a few plays in relief proving good depth.

so people mad at us using a scholarship, by the way we have many available on a guy that will help with depth. You people act like norton was some great DT.....guy will be lucky to get drafted, highly doubtful he is on a 53 man roster next year(will probably be a practice guy). Pvssies around here find anything to bleed about

so people mad at us using a scholarship, by the way we have many available on a guy that will help with depth. You people act like norton was some great DT.....guy will be lucky to get drafted, highly doubtful he is on a 53 man roster next year(will probably be a practice guy). Pvssies around here find anything to bleed about

Lmaoo this where the post went full ******

There is no need for semantics. This site is very proficient at that skill. Not as experienced is the same thing as not as good as this year. The opposite of good is bad. Simply.

Guys like Nesta and Ford are going to need a couple years to develop. They are not walking into this season like an Ed Oliver or Marvin Austin day 1 with that intimidation factor. Willis is not dependable. I'm just hoping he makes it past mat drills right now. Too unstable. Jackson needs to take that next step. Toward the end of the season the guy disappeared. Garvin will have his moments but still needs more time and snaps to develop.

The linebackers need to take that next step. I am not sure if they are at the point where they can provide that cover for the DLine if an assignment is missed. I said in another thread, Shaq, Pinckney and McCloud will have to be the strength of the D and take over games next season. I hope they get there.

No, we are not going to be bad. Wtf does bad being the opposite of good have to do with anything? Are you literally trying to say our DL will be the exact opposite of how they performed this yr? I hope not because that would be ******* stupid.

Nesta and Ford will need time to develop into the stars they can be, but that doesn't mean they can't be good. It means they will make mistakes and get beat. Which has to do with what I said about experience. We will make more mistakes/get beat some more this year. But like I also said, I think our pass rush could actually improve this season. Inexperienced doesn't mean bad, it means what the **** it means.

Willis isnt dependable why? We have no idea what the reason he didn't play was. All we know is it was personal reasons. And he was with the program on scout team, apparently killing it, all year. He looks fully locked in and ready to come out swinging this season. I doubt he will have as great of a year as McIntosh (he probably wont get as many reps), but there wont be a huge drop off there either.

Garvin and Joe Jackson off the edge is a great pairing. I expect Joe Jackson to be dominant this season. And I think the pair will combine for 20 sacks.

Advertisement
Back