Resting Starters

reidz5

Redshirt Freshman
Banned
After the Syracuse game, should Richt and co. consider resting some of the starters against UNC? Our team is still pretty banged up from the FSU week and we could really use a break especially since VT and ND are coming up in the following weeks.

UNC is a terrible team and Miami should be able to sleepwalk through that game. If Miami rested some (not all) of its starters I assume we would easily win the game while preparing for VT.

I know teams like Bama and OSU routinely do this so I don't see why Miami couldn't considering our depth at most positions.

Advertisement
resting starters against anyone is how you walk into an away game and get beat. these kids are 18-22. they can recover. how about getting a big lead in the 1st half and sitting some of the starters for the 2nd half.

Dumb a$@ thread.... the smart way is to build a big enough lead and let them rest in the 4th quarter

Advertisement
After the Syracuse game, should Richt and co. consider resting some of the starters against UNC? Our team is still pretty banged up from the FSU week and we could really use a break especially since VT and ND are coming up in the following weeks.

UNC is a terrible team and Miami should be able to sleepwalk through that game. If Miami rested some (not all) of its starters I assume we would easily win the game while preparing for VT.

I know teams like Bama and OSU routinely do this so I don't see why Miami couldn't considering our depth at most positions.

When have OSU and Bama ever done this?

I'm dying to know OP

saban and meyer, have never sat starters to start a game. not a freaking chance. they run up a big lead and then sit starters.

Lol. These are divisional games...just b/c a team looks like a wounded duck don't mean that **** want fight (see Clemson v. Syracuse). Rhythm is needed. Conditioning is needed. No way do you rest starters unless you are blowing them out and you have the luxury of resting in the latter 3rd or 4th quarters.

Advertisement
Not a dumb topic at all.

The revised schedule after the hurricane had me thinking about this as well. We essentially moved our bye week in week #2 . That gives us 9 straight games with two of them being on a Friday.

UNC is 1-6, this should be our easiest remaining game. After UNC we play 2 ranked teams (Va Tech & the domers) with the Va Tech game likely deciding our fate in the Coastal. There is a fair argument for resting some players, if needed.

sfbay, so, you're saying there's an argument for not starting or playing a bunch of starters for UNC who are healthy and able to play?

this is idiotic.

Advertisement
Im guessing OP missed last week when ranked teams were dropping like flies to unranked teams who were "overmatched" on paper

This is college and any given weekend your team can take that L if you dont practice and scheme right

it's an extremely dumb topic and anyone with any fb knowledge knows its a dumb topic.

sfbay, so, you're saying there's an argument for not starting or playing a bunch of starters for UNC who are healthy and able to play?

this is idiotic.

The general concept isn't idiotic at all. Richt needs to think like a 5 star general, not a dumbass grunt. Read up on the Art of War. The real argument is whether unc is the right game to do it. For the answer to this question, one must understand the tiebreaker rules for the acc.

Advertisement
We are not in a position to do that when we need to be tuned up for 2 of our most important games in the next 2 weeks after unc. Offense by that time needs to be humming if we want to compete for a legit “miami” season. If we are up in that game, you can rest them but it’s college football, anything can happen on any given Saturday

this is idiotic.

Im thinking more along the lines of resting some guys for the 2nd half if we're up 7+ points. UNC is 1-6. I haven't seen them play since they lost to Cal at home on opening day, so I don't know how much of a threat they pose, but their record suggests this should be a blowout. If it looks like we'll have the game in hand early, then yes, by all means, play some freshmen and rest some of the starters that might be dinged up.

Go back & read the Toledo game thread. Nearly every poster was calling for Mark Walton to get pulled out of the game after the 3rd quarter. Look how that played out. I expect that we would be able to rest Homer in the second half and let T. Gray and one or two other guys get some reps.

Lets assume that Richards is back and playing at 85% healthy. Why not sit him in the 2nd half if we're up 10 or so.

Not idiotic at all. Again, the schedule change took our bye week away before we needed it.

Advertisement
Back