Resting Starters

the OP and a few others like adrian have implied actually sitting players for the whole game. and you don't pull your starters with a 10 point lead.

and in walton's case, that wasn't the case. so, let's stop there.

A great general knows when to concede one battle in order to win the war.

Personally I'm looking at that Notre Dame game real close. It's a non conference game that is least relevant to our acc chances. The two games after them are uva and pitt, both hugely important to our acc chances. Smart strategy dictates that if those last two acc games will determine whether we win the division or not, we should keep our team as healthy and rested as possible. Imagine if we went balls to the wall against Notre dame, won that game, but lost our best players to injury, leading us to drop one to uva and costing us a chance at the acccg. What a pyrrhic victory that Notre dame win would be!

Whether it's fsu or NOTRE dame or any other rival, I'd much rather lose one battle to them and win the war (acc), then win meaningless rivalry games and fail to fulfill our season goals.

Advertisement
not this "general" crap. that whole post might be some of the dumbest football commentary i've ever read.
players go balls to the wall every game. are you implying they don't play as tough in some games as they do in other games? they can get hurt against BCC or any other game.

this is some of the dumbest commentary yet. quit now.

the OP and a few others like adrian have implied actually sitting players for the whole game. and you don't pull your starters with a 10 point lead.

Personally I'm looking at that Notre Dame game real close. It's a non conference game that is least relevant to our acc chances. The two games after them are uva and pitt, both hugely important to our acc chances. Smart strategy dictates that if those last two acc games will determine whether we win the division or not, we should keep our team as healthy and rested as possible. Imagine if we went balls to the wall against Notre dame, won that game, but lost our best players to injury, leading us to drop one to uva and costing us a chance at the acccg. What a pyrrhic victory that Notre dame win would be!

Whether it's fsu or NOTRE dame or any other rival, I'd much rather lose one battle to them and win the war (acc), then win meaningless rivalry games and fail to fulfill our season goals.

Straight up fūcking retarded.

No nice way to put it.

Let’s act like scared pussies and kiss the possibility of these wins goodby so we can beat Pitt and UVA? Are you fūcking kidding me?

For jesucristo’s sake, what king of shameful cuck bullshīt is this.

Holy fūck. Shameful.

not this "general" crap. that whole post might be some of the dumbest football commentary i've ever read.
players go balls to the wall every game. are you implying they don't play as tough in some games as they do in other games? they can get hurt against BCC or any other game.

this is some of the dumbest commentary yet. quit now.

Exactly, players can get hurt in any game. So why risk your most important or recovering players against NOTRE dame, which is irrelevant to our goals for this season, if uva and Pitt will determine our acc chances? Don't make sense to me.

Think strategically, not tactically. Determine the most likely path to an acc title and move your pieces to make that happen. If this means resting certain critical players, so be it. Losing to NOTRE dame won't ruin the season. Losing to uva or Pitt because players got hurt against NOTRE dame and costing us the division will ruin the season.

Advertisement
doesn't make sense to you, which is why you never played and aren't currently coaching football on any level. b/c you're a ******* ******.
please give an example of when anyone has ever done this. never. kill yourself.

AdrianP talking about thinking strategically as if he has any real life experience with it.

Here’s a strategic plan for you, delete your account and tactically drink a gallon of bleach.

it's college football. 20 year old kids. you have to try to play to win every freaking game. do you know how important beating fsu and nd is? how about we try to win every game. there is no doubt this guy is a troll.

Advertisement

Straight up fūcking retarded.

No nice way to put it.

Let’s act like scared pussies and kiss the possibility of these wins goodby so we can beat Pitt and UVA? Are you fūcking kidding me?

For jesucristo’s sake, what king of shameful cuck bullshīt is this.

Holy fūck. Shameful.

You're getting emotional. You don't win wars by getting all bent out of shape. You win wars by driving that hammer of logic into your own mind and driving out emotion. Richt needs to think like a 5 star general, not a lowly grunt.

please cite an example of when the coach of undefeated team strategically rested some starters, potentially sacrificing a win to rest up for a "stretch" run or "greater" goal?

waiting...

if you were in a war, you would have been fragged by now....

What makes college football a much better fan sport than the NFL is that we don't have the luxury of taking games off. Every game is critical. Every game is must win. And when you're Miami, you're everybody's SuperBowl. You have to bring it every single game. If you don't, 2000 Washington happens.

You're getting emotional. You don't win wars by getting all bent out of shape. You win wars by driving that hammer of logic into your own mind and driving out emotion. Richt needs to think like a 5 star general, not a lowly grunt.

Ok ok.

We get it. You’re trolling.

You don’t actually believe that.

Did you get the reaction you were looking for?

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back