Resting Starters

We had enough rest during the hurricane. They stomped us 59-21 the last time we were there. Under the leadership of EL Foldo. We should put 60 on them in front on their fans.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Advertisement
Let's word this a little differently. This game makes it possible to rest dinged up players.seat them unless it gets close.if we start running away with it play some people like at qb, RB,ol, and RB. I think that's what the OP was trying to say.the key is that your starters have to get th game out of reach before you start wholesale substitution.

No need to sit anyone out capable of playing at a high level...just continue to use a heavey rotation....

After the Syracuse game, should Richt and co. consider resting some of the starters against UNC? Our team is still pretty banged up from the FSU week and we could really use a break especially since VT and ND are coming up in the following weeks.

UNC is a terrible team and Miami should be able to sleepwalk through that game. If Miami rested some (not all) of its starters I assume we would easily win the game while preparing for VT.

I know teams like Bama and OSU routinely do this so I don't see why Miami couldn't considering our depth at most positions.

You must be brain dead. You rest starters we probably lose to UNC. Our 2 and 3 deep are not good enough to do that. We aren't Bama lol

Advertisement
this isn't nothing new around here. Dumb threads like this pop up when miami is winning. I'm waiting for the "take homer of special teams " thread from these same types.

Last edited:
Advertisement
sfbay, so, you're saying there's an argument for not starting or playing a bunch of starters for UNC who are healthy and able to play?

this is idiotic.

Im thinking more along the lines of resting some guys for the 2nd half if we're up 7+ points. UNC is 1-6. I haven't seen them play since they lost to Cal at home on opening day, so I don't know how much of a threat they pose, but their record suggests this should be a blowout. If it looks like we'll have the game in hand early, then yes, by all means, play some freshmen and rest some of the starters that might be dinged up.

Go back & read the Toledo game thread. Nearly every poster was calling for Mark Walton to get pulled out of the game after the 3rd quarter. Look how that played out. I expect that we would be able to rest Homer in the second half and let T. Gray and one or two other guys get some reps.

Lets assume that Richards is back and playing at 85% healthy. Why not sit him in the 2nd half if we're up 10 or so.

Not idiotic at all. Again, the schedule change took our bye week away before we needed it.

How did it play out?

Please explain.

He re-injured the ankle forcing him to go into the FSU game even more injured than he needed to be... and ended up with a season ending injury. (yes I know it was the other ankle...compensatory injuries happen all the time). The example is 100% on point. We have Va Tech after UNC. The key to the coastal is beating VT.

So....if I have a nagging left ankle injury. That's going to cause my right ankle to be injured?

yes, and then some 300lb guy will fall on the right ankle and break it and people will say you were compensating and thats why it broke, not b/c of the 300lb guy falling on it.

Advertisement
Not a dumb topic at all.

The revised schedule after the hurricane had me thinking about this as well. We essentially moved our bye week in week #2 . That gives us 9 straight games with two of them being on a Friday.

UNC is 1-6, this should be our easiest remaining game. After UNC we play 2 ranked teams (Va Tech & the domers) with the Va Tech game likely deciding our fate in the Coastal. There is a fair argument for resting some players, if needed.

It's actually the dumbest topic troll Reidz has ever started, and he started a topic claiming UM should run the option.

sfbay, so, you're saying there's an argument for not starting or playing a bunch of starters for UNC who are healthy and able to play?

this is idiotic.

Im thinking more along the lines of resting some guys for the 2nd half if we're up 7+ points. UNC is 1-6. I haven't seen them play since they lost to Cal at home on opening day, so I don't know how much of a threat they pose, but their record suggests this should be a blowout. If it looks like we'll have the game in hand early, then yes, by all means, play some freshmen and rest some of the starters that might be dinged up.

Go back & read the Toledo game thread. Nearly every poster was calling for Mark Walton to get pulled out of the game after the 3rd quarter. Look how that played out. I expect that we would be able to rest Homer in the second half and let T. Gray and one or two other guys get some reps.

Lets assume that Richards is back and playing at 85% healthy. Why not sit him in the 2nd half if we're up 10 or so.

Not idiotic at all. Again, the schedule change took our bye week away before we needed it.

How did it play out?

Please explain.

He re-injured the ankle forcing him to go into the FSU game even more injured than he needed to be... and ended up with a season ending injury. (yes I know it was the other ankle...compensatory injuries happen all the time). The example is 100% on point. We have Va Tech after UNC. The key to the coastal is beating VT.

So....if I have a nagging left ankle injury. That's going to cause my right ankle to be injured?
If Donaldson plays this week or next he's guaranteed to suffer a season ending injury to his other ankle.

Advertisement

this is idiotic.

How did it play out?

Please explain.

It can. You'll have to put more weight on the good wheel when changing direction. Its called a compensatory injury and happens quite frequently. As well, It can have nothing to do with the specific play where the second injury occurred.

I may have redirected the OP's original thought in that my belief is that we pull some of the dinged up starters at halftime of UNC if we have a lead; Not necessarily an insurmountable lead but just a moderate lead. Say 10 points or so. I was never talking about sitting guys out for a whole week.

How did it play out?

Please explain.

It can. You'll have to put more weight on the good wheel when changing direction. Its called a compensatory injury and happens quite frequently. As well, It can have nothing to do with the specific play where the second injury occurred.

I may have redirected the OP's original thought in that my belief is that we pull some of the dinged up starters at halftime of UNC if we have a lead; Not necessarily an insurmountable lead but just a moderate lead. Say 10 points or so. I was never talking about sitting guys out for a whole week.

But that’s not what happened, as the replay clearly shows.

the OP and a few others like adrian have implied actually sitting players for the whole game. and you don't pull your starters with a 10 point lead.

and in walton's case, that wasn't the case. so, let's stop there.

Advertisement
Back