Resting Starters

Advertisement
Isn't Miami like 2-4 at Chapel Hill since joining the ACC. Don't mess around with that kind of juju.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i don't care if we played them at home and they had no wins. guys get better by playing in games and running the game plan and staying sharp. we missed one game. our guys need all the real game experience they can get.

this is unprecedented. unless it's pro football and playoff situations where you have a spot clinched, no one sits starters b/c it might be against a weak opponent.

I'd love to establish dominance early. Then rotate in some guys like Choc or DeeJay and some of the WRs to see if they maintain. If they do, leave them in. If not, take care of business

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advertisement
i don't care if we played them at home and they had no wins. guys get better by playing in games and running the game plan and staying sharp. we missed one game. our guys need all the real game experience they can get.

this is unprecedented. unless it's pro football and playoff situations where you have a spot clinched, no one sits starters b/c it might be against a weak opponent.

Stop looking at the weeds on the ground and stand up and look at the whole forest. A great general looks at the acc tiebreakers and figures out which games mean the most and which games mean the least. Use the keast important game as a bye week to rest players for the important games.

If non conference games are almost irrelevant in acc tiebreaker scenarios, use the Notre dame game to rest up for coastal foes Virginia and Pitt.

If non divisional games are least important, then rest up this week against Syracuse.

you guys have NEVER played. this is ridiculous. there is no "resting" players b/c you think a weak opponent is next. you start and play your starters and who's healthy and you sit guys if you have a lead.

there is no precedence for this. stop it.

Stop looking at the weeds on the ground and stand up and look at the whole forest. A great general looks at the acc tiebreakers and figures out which games mean the most and which games mean the least. Use the keast important game as a bye week to rest players for the important games.

If non conference games are almost irrelevant in acc tiebreaker scenarios, use the Notre dame game to rest up for coastal foes Virginia and Pitt.

If non divisional games are least important, then rest up this week against Syracuse.

Pitt is a joke. No need to rest up for them.

And there is no way he's resting anyone in the ND game. ACC or not, that is a MUST win.

Advertisement
I don’t know about resting starters but I would like to rest a brick on OP’s face...very violently

If we happen to be up on a team by several scores midway through the 3rd quarter, of course we sit guys like Homer, Richards, Herndon, etc.

But if the notion is we sit these guys for an entire game like we're in the NBA, then no. Never. We don't have the depth for that.

I wish people would read the threads by people like [MENTION=5374]HurricaneVision[/MENTION] and see what is really going on and how exposed we are by certain positions and players mistakes. It highlights just how far we have to go yet, and how good of a job Richt and co are actually doing. It would alleviate 80% of these suggestions.

Advertisement
sfbay, so, you're saying there's an argument for not starting or playing a bunch of starters for UNC who are healthy and able to play?

this is idiotic.

Im thinking more along the lines of resting some guys for the 2nd half if we're up 7+ points. UNC is 1-6. I haven't seen them play since they lost to Cal at home on opening day, so I don't know how much of a threat they pose, but their record suggests this should be a blowout. If it looks like we'll have the game in hand early, then yes, by all means, play some freshmen and rest some of the starters that might be dinged up.

Go back & read the Toledo game thread. Nearly every poster was calling for Mark Walton to get pulled out of the game after the 3rd quarter. Look how that played out. I expect that we would be able to rest Homer in the second half and let T. Gray and one or two other guys get some reps.

Lets assume that Richards is back and playing at 85% healthy. Why not sit him in the 2nd half if we're up 10 or so.

Not idiotic at all. Again, the schedule change took our bye week away before we needed it.

How did it play out?

Please explain.

more dumb comments. dumbest fanbase ever.

The stupidity of some in this fanbase is mind boggling. It’s like they have the football knowledge of a 7-year old.

There are plenty of people whose opinions you should be able to enjoy. Please feel free to use the ignore loser feature if certain posters are not on your level. It will make everyone's experience better. That said, constantly insulting everyone on the board who you feel superior to is not productive for the site as a whole.

Advertisement
sfbay, so, you're saying there's an argument for not starting or playing a bunch of starters for UNC who are healthy and able to play?

this is idiotic.

Im thinking more along the lines of resting some guys for the 2nd half if we're up 7+ points. UNC is 1-6. I haven't seen them play since they lost to Cal at home on opening day, so I don't know how much of a threat they pose, but their record suggests this should be a blowout. If it looks like we'll have the game in hand early, then yes, by all means, play some freshmen and rest some of the starters that might be dinged up.

Go back & read the Toledo game thread. Nearly every poster was calling for Mark Walton to get pulled out of the game after the 3rd quarter. Look how that played out. I expect that we would be able to rest Homer in the second half and let T. Gray and one or two other guys get some reps.

Lets assume that Richards is back and playing at 85% healthy. Why not sit him in the 2nd half if we're up 10 or so.

Not idiotic at all. Again, the schedule change took our bye week away before we needed it.

How did it play out?

Please explain.

He re-injured the ankle forcing him to go into the FSU game even more injured than he needed to be... and ended up with a season ending injury. (yes I know it was the other ankle...compensatory injuries happen all the time). The example is 100% on point. We have Va Tech after UNC. The key to the coastal is beating VT.

Better yet, why don't we just forfeit the UNC game and let the kids not only rest, but catch up on all their school work?

this is idiotic.

How did it play out?

Please explain.

He re-injured the ankle forcing him to go into the FSU game even more injured than he needed to be... and ended up with a season ending injury. (yes I know it was the other ankle...compensatory injuries happen all the time). The example is 100% on point. We have Va Tech after UNC. The key to the coastal is beating VT.

The example is 0% on point.

Resting him during the Toledo game may have been a good idea, but would have changed nothing.

You clearly don’t know what you’re talking about when you talk about compensatory injuries. You have no clue. It was a different ankle, injured because as he planted he was tackled in heavy traffic near the goal line and fallen upon. Please watch the replay.

The injury had zero to do with his prior use, so you’re dead wrong. I mean nice try, next time though, bring some actual facts into the argument.

Better yet, why don't we just forfeit the UNC game and let the kids not only rest, but catch up on all their school work?

Best suggestion so far. A good General makes sure his pikemen have studied their liberal arts before taking on the stresses of confrontation on the grid iron.

The best general makes sure not only his starters are feeling good physically, but the backups too and they have all done their homework so they can stay up late on the weekend.

Advertisement
Back