Renner questionable for Thursday

I don't think Miami fans trust the team to play like they're supposed to, based on the talent-level, week in and week out. Coker's and Shannon's teams lost this kind of game routinely. Golden is just getting the talent and maturity close to where it needs to be to make this kind of game a routine win.

Exactly what's happening. This is another one of those culture testers. Have the players bought in to The Don's message completely? Or are they still too young and immature to really listen to tell him to not take the cheese?

I know this is exactly what all the "uncertainty" that seems to come up every week is about.

But I have never seen Miami lose to a team they were just hands down suppose to beat under Al Golden thats why I have confidence in this team this year.

I'm not always porsting up soft shouldered comments about being "worried" or "this is a test" and all that other bs b/c Al Golden's Miami teams has never just dropped the ball against inferior opponents.

Last year Miami only lost to teams that were on our level or just far better then us.... also last year's Miami team beat teams that should've beaten us b/c of our youth.

People need to just RELAX BRO and just accept the fact that this isnt the same team as 09 or whatever the **** else year ppl want to throw out.

Anything can happen.... TRUE, but why not start giving this team a much deserved benefit of the doubt for once. Especially over a 1-4 team.

just a question.....do u think Virginia was a team that was on our level.....i understand that our def last yr couldnt stop a lingerie team but i refuse to put them on ur level

The personnel that actually lined up on defense against UVA last year was not as good as the personnel UVA had on offense. Period. Guys want to act like UM is UM and it should never lose to UVA. But the actual guys who lined up for us on D against UVA were horrible and way too young.

Advertisement
Ok, let's try this one last time. You said yourself you didn't want to discuss Renner or UNC and already got called out for it by another poster in this thread. So that's one issue. As for the other, yes, I look at his body of work over his career rather than 4 games this year. And, if we are just looking at 4 games, he hasn't been horrible. His stats are still above average. He's on a crap team. No QB is going to look like Peyton Manning without weapons around him. Again, I never said he was great, I said he was good, which he is, which an opinion shared by analysts and nfl scouts too. Lastly, offended? Give me a break. I couldn't care less. I hate UNC and I hope Renner throws 8 picks on Thursday. Doesn't mean I don't think he's a good QB.

Seriously, I quit, you win, he's Kirby Freeman against NC St in 07.

Lol you are full of **** you know that?? hilarious....

why are you lying??? Go back and show me where i said that "i didnt want to discuss Renner or UNC" please find that post for me then i'll go from there.

I dont care about UNC, I dont care about Renner, That was posted by you all of one page ago

To say that in a thread that is specifically meant to discuss Renner, well, then, can't really help you. I'm not lying, nor am I making **** up. If that's not what you meant, fine. If it is, and you forgot what you said, maybe you should go back before you fly off the handle.

LOL you are a joke.... what does that have to do w/ anything about not wanting to "discuss" Renner or UNC???

Look at the 2nd comment i highlighted in ur porst above.... you just said the same thing that i said basically, so does that mean you dont want to "discuss" this topic either?

smh

No genius, I said I couldn't care less about what you're saying about Renner. As in I'm not offended by what you say. That's what I couldn't care less about, not Renner himself. I started this topic, so obviously I want to discuss Renner. I'm not saying the same thing as you. Nice try.

ps

what poncho said above. maybe if you won't listen to me, you'll listen to him.

the point is if you can take a comment that i said out of context, then i can too," i couldnt care less" by what you actually was trying to say.

I dont care about UNC and i dont care about Renner..... that means that i have no idea why you and whoever else really feel like you have to protect Renner or some bs. Smh it's weird man.

I say he's average, I gave you reasons why i believe he's average, move on.

Zone your biggest problem here is not that you are not trying to provide evidence for your arguement, its that you're providing evidence of how bad he is based on a couple bad games he had and then discrediting everyone else when they also have a valid point based on historical evidence and what the player has done over multiple years. The problem is 1. every QB has bad games and 2. history shows that as a whole, his numbers are not bad. Stemo looked like crap against UF and has only looked good against bad teams this year. Are you ready to write him off as a bust now based on 1 bad game against a good defense?

On top of that you are putting words in people's mouth (metaphorically) when they just said he's a good QB. No one is calling him great or a GOAT and you can disagree, but most here would not call a qb with a 61tds vs 23 int and over 60% passing as a game manager or even average, especially when he's been in the top 25 qb ratings the last 2 years. Average QB's are around the 50 or worse rankings (somewhere near the middle of the pack).

And no, I'm really not that worried about him and UNC this year because we have far more weapons than they do. My only concern is if the team gets overconfident and plays down to UNCs level, but I dont think that will happen this year either. Golden seems to be trying to keep them on track.

look poncho i dont get it

Renner is an average QB, he's only average b/c of his resume the last couple years, so i'm giving him his credit lol i gave you reasons..... he's the leader of a 1-4 team and most of that is on him.

You cant score more then 20 on GT???

Why was it 42-17 late in the 3rd before "Renner the very good QB" scored another TD against ECU??

Lol you all can cheer for Renner all you want to, I havent seen enough to give him so much credit.

If Renner is a "very good" QB then Stephen Morris must be one of the greatest to ever play.... simple as that.

So is that how you feel about Stephen?? If it is then i'll go with this notion that Renner is a "very good" QB

Zone your biggest problem here is not that you are not trying to provide evidence for your arguement, its that you're providing evidence of how bad he is based on a couple bad games he had and then discrediting everyone else when they also have a valid point based on historical evidence and what the player has done over multiple years. The problem is 1. every QB has bad games and 2. history shows that as a whole, his numbers are not bad. Stemo looked like crap against UF and has only looked good against bad teams this year. Are you ready to write him off as a bust now based on 1 bad game against a good defense?

On top of that you are putting words in people's mouth (metaphorically) when they just said he's a good QB. No one is calling him great or a GOAT and you can disagree, but most here would not call a qb with a 61tds vs 23 int and over 60% passing as a game manager or even average, especially when he's been in the top 25 qb ratings the last 2 years. Average QB's are around the 50 or worse rankings (somewhere near the middle of the pack).

And no, I'm really not that worried about him and UNC this year because we have far more weapons than they do. My only concern is if the team gets overconfident and plays down to UNCs level, but I dont think that will happen this year either. Golden seems to be trying to keep them on track.

Renner is an average QB, he's only average b/c of his resume the last couple years, so i'm giving him his credit lol i gave you reasons..... he's the leader of a 1-4 team and most of that is on him.

Why was it 42-17 late in the 3rd before "Renner the very good QB" scored another TD against ECU??

Lol you all can cheer for Renner all you want to, I havent seen enough to give him so much credit.

If Renner is a "very good" QB then Stephen Morris must be one of the greatest to ever play.... simple as that.

So is that how you feel about Stephen?? If it is then i'll go with this notion that Renner is a "very good" QB

You are trying way too hard to simplify it. There are so many other factors involved. Did you ever consider that the talent around him now sucks? UNC is coming off being a pretty good team the last few years to pretty bad now. Remember all of Butch's players are leaving, and Miami fans know first hand what happens when a coach does not follow through in recruiting and development after Butch leaves.

Also, don't tell me talent does not matter. Tom Brady this year is having the worst statistical year of his career, because the talent around him is subpar. Does Brady suck now? I'm not saying Renner is Tom Brady, but the point is when the teams talent sucks, then even a good QB will struggle. Yes the patriots are winning, but guess what, Brady is one of the BEST, Renner is not one of the best, he is just above average/good (compared to other college players).

Again, as far as this average thing, average usually falls near the middle of the pack and keep in mind we are comparing him to other college players, not NFL. So if there are over 120 teams (we assume only 1 starter for each) then 60 would be the mid area. If renner is sitting in the 20's last year, ahead of guys like Brett Hundley (stud this year), Stephen Morris, Landry Jones, Tyler Wilson, Chase Rettig, Mike Glennon (another one that they have hyped up), then historically he was above the average. Notice in this group, the only one who's talent around him decreased is Renner. Hundley and Stemo have more talent or experience around them. Jones and Wilson went to the pros where defenses are better. Glennon is about the same. If your definition of average is the upper 1/3 of college football QB's, then I guess he is average. Personally, I place middle 1/3 as the average and the lower 1/3 as the garbage.

Ultimately it won't matter. UNC's defense has been unimpressive. Other than the TE, none of his WR's seem to be playmakers. The run game is one of the worst in college football. We will have to have a pretty bad game or they will have to be playing at a high level for us to lose this game.

Advertisement

You are trying way too hard to simplify it. There are so many other factors involved. Did you ever consider that the talent around him now sucks? UNC is coming off being a pretty good team the last few years to pretty bad now. Remember all of Butch's players are leaving, and Miami fans know first hand what happens when a coach does not follow through in recruiting and development after Butch leaves.

Also, don't tell me talent does not matter. Tom Brady this year is having the worst statistical year of his career, because the talent around him is subpar. Does Brady suck now? I'm not saying Renner is Tom Brady, but the point is when the teams talent sucks, then even a good QB will struggle. Yes the patriots are winning, but guess what, Brady is one of the BEST, Renner is not one of the best, he is just above average/good (compared to other college players).

Again, as far as this average thing, average usually falls near the middle of the pack and keep in mind we are comparing him to other college players, not NFL. So if there are over 120 teams (we assume only 1 starter for each) then 60 would be the mid area. If renner is sitting in the 20's last year, ahead of guys like Brett Hundley (stud this year), Stephen Morris, Landry Jones, Tyler Wilson, Chase Rettig, Mike Glennon (another one that they have hyped up), then historically he was above the average. Notice in this group, the only one who's talent around him decreased is Renner. Hundley and Stemo have more talent or experience around them. Jones and Wilson went to the pros where defenses are better. Glennon is about the same. If your definition of average is the upper 1/3 of college football QB's, then I guess he is average. Personally, I place middle 1/3 as the average and the lower 1/3 as the garbage.

Ultimately it won't matter. UNC's defense has been unimpressive. Other than the TE, none of his WR's seem to be playmakers. The run game is one of the worst in college football. We will have to have a pretty bad game or they will have to be playing at a high level for us to lose this game.

Has the subpar talent around Renner changed since he's looked average this year against ECU and GT and others? If not, then this is mental *********ion because, if he's a product of the talent around him, then he's going to continue to be average this year. Everyone can sit there and claim Renner is top flight QB, but if the results he's achieving with this particular team are average, then it doesn't matter how good he was last year.

Has the subpar talent around Renner changed since he's looked average this year against ECU and GT and others? If not, then this is mental *********ion because, if he's a product of the talent around him, then he's going to continue to be average this year. Everyone can sit there and claim Renner is top flight QB, but if the results he's achieving with this particular team are average, then it doesn't matter how good he was last year.

True point. Last year will not matter in reference to this year, but it doesn't mean someone all of a sudden became a bad qb. When he has talent around him, he excels, and he does big things in the passing game. An average QB usually does not, but is good enough to succeed still. Noone is calling Brenner "Top Flight", we're just saying, he is a good qb that can be dangerous sometimes. Again, I'll point out Tom Brady this year, his numbers suck right now (career worst). With pretty much no talent, he succeeds. That is why he is elite. With his average numbers this year, is he just average now? Do we just ignore what he has done historically?

True point. Last year will not matter in reference to this year, but it doesn't mean someone all of a sudden became a bad qb. When he has talent around him, he excels, and he does big things in the passing game. An average QB usually does not, but is good enough to succeed still. Noone is calling Brenner "Top Flight", we're just saying, he is a good qb that can be dangerous sometimes. Again, I'll point out Tom Brady this year, his numbers suck right now (career worst). With pretty much no talent, he succeeds. That is why he is elite. With his average numbers this year, is he just average now? Do we just ignore what he has done historically?

I agree that Renner is good with good talent around him. He doesn't have that this year, though, so I expect him to not perform like the above-average QB that many on here think he is. I clearly don't give a sht about Renner's ability in a vacuum. I only care about he will perform against UM this year.

I agree that Renner is good with good talent around him. He doesn't have that this year, though, so I expect him to not perform like the above-average QB that many on here think he is. I clearly don't give a sht about Renner's ability in a vacuum. I only care about he will perform against UM this year.

Fair enough and I agree with this. I stated this earlier that while I believe Renner is a good QB, I don't think it will matter and that we should win this game with no problems. I believe that even if Renner can manage something good, the team as a whole will not do enough to win. As I said in another post, I am looking for us to blow them out. We will be the only NCAA game on tv at the time I believe, and blowing out a bad team will grab the voters attention more than if we just come out with a W.

Advertisement
I had to bring this up after this game. Some of you trashed Renner all week and there was continuous argument that Renner was "average" vs others who said he was pretty good. The same ones saying Renner is average also said our defense is good and has praised Dnofrio for the improvements. So if our defense is good, an average QB with only 1 real weapon on offense should not go 28/36, 297 yards and 1 TD and 1 int.

I said before, Renner is not elite. He is not Peyton Manning, but he is dangerous enough. I'm just glad the defense played well in the second half and the offense did just enough.

I'm sure Zone will spin this some way. Probably say he still sucks but our defense sucks more or something.

I'm sure Zone will spin this some way. Probably say he still sucks but our defense sucks more or something.

No way, because there have been multiple other threads talking about how good our defense was this year. There's no way to spin it without contradicting himself. He'll have to eat crow on this one, or stay in denial forever.

Either way, I usually try to leave a dead thread dead, but I had to bring this one up after the whole week of going back and forth on it.

And of course most important...... 6-0. **** Morris needs to sit for a couple weeks and rest. I don't know if he's really hurting bad on that ankle, or if he took a big hit that shook him or what happened, but something ain't right with him. Personally, I don't think Coley's offense works for Morris. Morris is not as bad as everyone is trying to make him look now, because he proved it the 2nd half of last season that he can be pretty good. I just think he fit Fisch's offense, and he doesn't fit Coley's. I don't think Morris has been comfortable all year in this offense, but maybe its just the ankle still.

Or he'll ignore it all together and hope no one else keeps bumping it back to the top of the board. As I said all along, Renner is a good QB, which he once again showed last night. He's not elite, he's not perfect, and he made some mistakes, but at one point last night, he hit 18 for 19.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back