Renato Brown commits

This kid is an absolute monster, 6'5 310lbs Rhino. I posted on him back April.

He transferred to the PBC, but was originally at Oxbridge with a bunch of those of other talented 2019/20 kids on that squad.
(QB Gio Richardson, LB Dorian Jones, RB James Meeks etc.)

Played OT & OG, but the fact we want him at DT & that was one of the main things that made him commit speaks volumes to the type of kid he is.

I really liked him at Guard for 19, but he needed some development as an OL so I guess the staff likes his upside better on Defense & I agree.

Big strong powerful kid, will be a space eater after 2 years at DT & will probably be playing traditional NT.

Kendrick Norton played OG in HS as well, not saying this kid is the next Norton, but Coach Kool obviously sees him in a similar role.

What is exactly is a Norton. He hasn't done anything here

you must not understand what you're looking at. A Norton is one of the big reasons our defense was good last season.

Advertisement

He transferred to the PBC, but was originally at Oxbridge with a bunch of those of other talented 2019/20 kids on that squad.

Played OT & OG, but the fact we want him at DT & that was one of the main things that made him commit speaks volumes to the type of kid he is.

I really liked him at Guard for 19, but he needed some development as an OL so I guess the staff likes his upside better on Defense & I agree.

Big strong powerful kid, will be a space eater after 2 years at DT & will probably be playing traditional NT.

Kendrick Norton played OG in HS as well, not saying this kid is the next Norton, but Coach Kool obviously sees him in a similar role.

What? Norton was a beast last year. He was one of the main reasons for the gigantic turnaround in the defense

Ford was a 3 star last year and I doubt there's 10 DT's in last years recruiting class better than him.. Stars really mean nothing with the bigs

I mean stars do really mean something in general. 5 stars are much more likely to be drafted than 3 stars. But 2019 is too far out, and players can go under the radar.

Advertisement
We reloading yearly on savage DTs like in the 80s.

Gun to your head: who's the best of the savage 80s DTs?

I always thought it was Cortez Kennedy, but Russell Maryland is the only Hurricane to win the Outland trophy besides Bryant McKinnie.

Jerome Brown and it ain't even close, in my opinion. If not for his tragic death at such a young age, he would've been a sure fire 1st ballot Hall of Famer. He had the perfect blend of athleticism, technique and pure savagery.

I always thought it was Cortez Kennedy, but Russell Maryland is the only Hurricane to win the Outland trophy besides Bryant McKinnie.

I'd go with Jerome Brown. We've got a fantastic legacy of great DTs (we do at about every position!!!).

Hopefully it continues and you've got to think chances are good with Coach Kul in charge.

Dan Sileo #93 ??? He has the press clippings to back it up.

Thank God somebody's paying attention. How many press clippings do those other guys have?

Advertisement
Ford was a 3 star last year and I doubt there's 10 DT's in last years recruiting class better than him.. Stars really mean nothing with the bigs

I mean stars do really mean something in general. 5 stars are much more likely to be drafted than 3 stars. But 2019 is too far out, and players can go under the radar.
Stars by the end of senior year do mean a good bit. The rankings eventually reflect enough information. Not yet, though.

*****.gif

LoL Norton is the unquestionable Anchor of the defense. Without his play and disruptive force, no way the Def makes the drastic turn around it did last year. Its not all about stats, that's like saying what has Suh done for the dolphins lol dude might not get the stats, but causes pure havok every play

Last edited:

Overall, there's no doubting the "stars matter" model. However, I'd bet my house in Cudjoe Key that there's much less correlation between stars and success for the interior linemen.

Advertisement
However, I'd bet my house in Cudjoe Key that there's much less correlation between stars and success for the interior linemen.

That's definitely true for offensive linemen, but interior DL are the opposite. Those guys are generally easier to evaluate because there are only so many players walking the earth with the requisite size and athleticism. I only went back a few drafts, but pretty much every DT or big DE drafted in the first round was a big-time recruit.

Ford was a lazy evaluation by the services. He was recruited like a four-star player but didn't go to camps and was committed the whole time.

Advertisement

I'd go with Jerome Brown. We've got a fantastic legacy of great DTs (we do at about every position!!!).

Hopefully it continues and you've got to think chances are good with Coach Kul in charge.

It's pretty crazy that Jerome Brown played on the same line as Reggie White in the NFL. And they had Randall Cunningham at QB. That team should have won a lot more games.

However, I'd bet my house in Cudjoe Key that there's much less correlation between stars and success for the interior linemen.

That's definitely true for offensive linemen, but interior DL are the opposite. Those guys are generally easier to evaluate because there are only so many players walking the earth with the requisite size and athleticism. I only went back a few drafts, but pretty much every DT or big DE drafted in the first round was a big-time recruit.

Ford was a lazy evaluation by the services. He was recruited like a four-star player but didn't go to camps and was committed the whole time.

I'd love to see the data on all the 4 and 5 star DTs and OL over the last ten years versus other positions. I know it's anecdotal, but I remember so many high star busts/underperformers at DT.

Advertisement
Back