Renato Brown commits

We reloading yearly on savage DTs like in the 80s.

Gun to your head: who's the best of the savage 80s DTs?

I always thought it was Cortez Kennedy, but Russell Maryland is the only Hurricane to win the Outland trophy besides Bryant McKinnie.

I'd go with Jerome Brown. We've got a fantastic legacy of great DTs (we do at about every position!!!).

Hopefully it continues and you've got to think chances are good with Coach Kul in charge.

It's pretty crazy that Jerome Brown played on the same line as Reggie White in the NFL. And they had Randall Cunningham at QB. That team should have won a lot more games.

First off Jerome is the goat Dl I ever saw at UM.

As for the Eagles then , Cunningham had accuracy issues. He was always looking to run first, after some injuries he focused on accuracy. And became a really good passer.

We also didn't have much talent at rb , wr and the ol wasn't too hot. The best wr's were Byars and Keith Jackson , neither were wr's lol.

The offense really wasted an elite defense , one of the best of all time. That side of the ball was loaded.

Advertisement
We reloading yearly on savage DTs like in the 80s.

I always thought it was Cortez Kennedy, but Russell Maryland is the only Hurricane to win the Outland trophy besides Bryant McKinnie.

Jerome Brown and it ain't even close, in my opinion. If not for his tragic death at such a young age, he would've been a sure fire 1st ballot Hall of Famer. He had the perfect blend of athleticism, technique and pure savagery.

No question, no doubt!

If he's a take this early for Coach Kool this kid must really be the real deal.

I trust whatever evaluation he makes on the DL.

Coach Kool is the most trusted coach in the history of football when it comes to talent evaluation. I honestly don't remember ANY coach having a better eye for talent, and I've watched a lot of football.
Butch Davis and it's not close

If he's a take this early for Coach Kool this kid must really be the real deal.

I trust whatever evaluation he makes on the DL.

Coach Kool is the most trusted coach in the history of football when it comes to talent evaluation. I honestly don't remember ANY coach having a better eye for talent, and I've watched a lot of football.
Butch Davis and it's not close

I think he meant DL talent. Nobody is arguing that Kuligowski scouts or recruits for any other position.

Advertisement
This kid is an absolute monster, 6'5 310lbs Rhino. I posted on him back April.

He transferred to the PBC, but was originally at Oxbridge with a bunch of those of other talented 2019/20 kids on that squad.
(QB Gio Richardson, LB Dorian Jones, RB James Meeks etc.)

Played OT & OG, but the fact we want him at DT & that was one of the main things that made him commit speaks volumes to the type of kid he is.

I really liked him at Guard for 19, but he needed some development as an OL so I guess the staff likes his upside better on Defense & I agree.

Big strong powerful kid, will be a space eater after 2 years at DT & will probably be playing traditional NT.

Kendrick Norton played OG in HS as well, not saying this kid is the next Norton, but Coach Kool obviously sees him in a similar role.

Just to add here, he's not Kendrick athletically but a lot of guys his size aren't. I think a better comparison would what John Henderson did for the jaguars back in the day with Marcus Stroud. He allowed Marcus to penetrate because he ate blocks in the run game but was Athletic enough to be a threat in the pass rush as well because he was very technically sound which basically made double teaming Stroud impossible.

To me, he's a take on both sides of the ball and can be plugged both ways so if we miss on someone in the interior line and become loaded with DT prospects and vice versa. They run a bit of RPO in their system but he needs to add strength and out good weight on, that's usually something common with linemen in general. Solid prospect to secure early imo.

Last edited:
4-star by 2019.

Definitely seems like it.

Remember this time last year Silvera was a 3* ranked in the 700s.

I'd expect Brown to see a similar rise

He should be a 4 star by next year...he's definitely one of the premier guys in Palm Beach. Probably top 5 in the county, right up there with Akeen Dent, Kaiir Elam, Mark Richards, and Mike Morris

I'd go with Jerome Brown. We've got a fantastic legacy of great DTs (we do at about every position!!!).

Hopefully it continues and you've got to think chances are good with Coach Kul in charge.

It's pretty crazy that Jerome Brown played on the same line as Reggie White in the NFL. And they had Randall Cunningham at QB. That team should have won a lot more games.

As for the Eagles then , Cunningham had accuracy issues. He was always looking to run first, after some injuries he focused on accuracy. And became a really good passer.

We also didn't have much talent at rb , wr and the ol wasn't too hot. The best wr's were Byars and Keith Jackson , neither were wr's lol.

The offense really wasted an elite defense , one of the best of all time. That side of the ball was loaded.

The offensive line was terrible. But I believe that if he hadn't torn his ACL in '91, and if he had been in a better system with a little more talent around him, Randall Cunningham could have been one of the greatest quarterbacks of all time.

I would go out on a limb and say that he was the most talented quarterback I've ever seen, just in terms of what he could physically do.

And he was the greatest player on Tecmo Bowl not named Bo Jackson. So there's that too.

Advertisement

The offensive line was terrible. But I believe that if he hadn't torn his ACL in '91, and if he had been in a better system with a little more talent around him, Randall Cunningham could have been one of the greatest quarterbacks of all time.

I would go out on a limb and say that he was the most talented quarterback I've ever seen, just in terms of what he could physically do.

And he was the greatest player on Tecmo Bowl not named Bo Jackson. So there's that too.

He never got to play with a oc or coach that could've used his strengths. It was either defensive minded coaches or Rich freaking kotite. TBH,he played in the wrong era. His skill set in today's offenses would've been epic.

I agree about 1991, it really felt like everything had come together. Then the leg injury happened.

Advertisement
Jerome and Reggie terrorized the greatest division in NFL history, fun times for fans of brutal violent defense...

Jerome and Reggie terrorized the greatest division in NFL history, fun times for fans of brutal violent defense...

The mid/late 80's leading up to the early 90's were football's greatest era. That can't be debated.

First, that was the Jimmy Johnson / Dennis Erickson era in which the Canes fielded the most dominant teams in the history of college football.

Second, that was when Cunningham electrified the league and Moon and Marino were breaking records. It was when Elway was leading 4th quarter comebacks with a big *** "D" on his helmet.... Barry Sanders was juking dudes out while Payton, Bo Jackson, and Marcus Allen were flat out dominating. That was when LT (the original LT) was making quarterbacks blow snot bubbles, and Ronnie Lott was making running crossing routes a work hazard. It was the era of Deon and Darrell Green, And of course, that was the era when Montana was throwing perfect touchdown passes to Rice.

That was the Bears under Ditka, the Giants under Parcelles, and the 49ers under Walsh. It was the Houston Oilers and the LA Raiders.

Best era, period.

Advertisement

[MENTION=2343]Cribby[/MENTION]

That 91 Philadelphia Eagles defense was the best I have ever seen. They were #1 vs run and pass and #1 overall. That defense allowed an average of 220 yards per game. 70 yards against the run and 150 yards against the pass. That defense allowed 2.97 yards per rush as well. These numbers become absolutely staggering when you factor in TOP. The Eagles defense that year was on the field an average of 37 minutes a game IIRC. I still remember the starting lineup and in those days there were far fewer substitutions so the starters played most of the snaps.

Defensive Coordinator Bud Carson

DE Clyde Simmons
DT Mike Pitts
DT Jerome Brown
DE Reggie White
OLB William Thomas
MLB Byron Evans
OLB Seth Joyner
CB Ben Smith
FS Wes Hopkins
SS Andre Waters
CB Eric Allen

Last edited:

[MENTION=2343]Cribby[/MENTION]

That 91 Philadelphia Eagles defense was the best I have ever seen. They were #1 vs run and pass and #1 overall. That defense allowed an average of 220 yards per game. 70 yards against the run and 150 yards against the pass. That defense allowed 2.97 yards per rush as well. These numbers become absolutely staggering when you factor in TOP. The Eagles defense that year was on the field an average of 37 minutes a game IIRC. I still remember the starting lineup and in those days there were far fewer substitutions so the starters played most of the snaps.

Defensive Coordinator Bud Carson

DE Clyde Simmons
DT Mike Pitts
DT Jerome Brown
DE Reggie White
OLB William Thomas
MLB Byron Evans
OLB Seth Joyner
CB Ben Smith
FS Wes Hopkins
SS Andre Waters
CB Eric Allen

I always tell people that was the best D I ever saw, then they find out I'm an eagles fan. So my opinion loses legitimacy instantly.

But I'm no homer , I watched that d week end and week out dominate. With no help offensively , players around the league feared those guys for real.

Back then going against that D meant you could legitimately have your career end.

Just ask Irvin and Aikman.

Oh and Reggie is hands down the best DL ever , dude had no weakness in his game , he terrorized against the run and pass.

Last edited:

The mid/late 80's leading up to the early 90's were football's greatest era. That can't be debated.

First, that was the Jimmy Johnson / Dennis Erickson era in which the Canes fielded the most dominant teams in the history of college football.

Second, that was when Cunningham electrified the league and Moon and Marino were breaking records. It was when Elway was leading 4th quarter comebacks with a big *** "D" on his helmet.... Barry Sanders was juking dudes out while Payton, Bo Jackson, and Marcus Allen were flat out dominating. That was when LT (the original LT) was making quarterbacks blow snot bubbles, and Ronnie Lott was making running crossing routes a work hazard. It was the era of Deon and Darrell Green, And of course, that was the era when Montana was throwing perfect touchdown passes to Rice.

That was the Bears under Ditka, the Giants under Parcelles, and the 49ers under Walsh. It was the Houston Oilers and the LA Raiders.

Best era, period.

I take it you're from Houston? The Oilers are the red headed step child of this post. The Bungles are probably a better fit. Both garbage organizations.

Go Canes!

Advertisement
Back