Renato Brown commits

Jerome Brown was a beast, but you guys are sleeping on Cortez Kennedy. He won 2 National Titles, was an All-American, 3rd overall pick in the draft, made the Pro Bowl 8 out of 10 years, was NFL Defensive POY in 92, had his jersey retired by the Seahawks, and also was elected to the Pro Football HOF.

Advertisement
Jerome and Reggie terrorized the greatest division in NFL history, fun times for fans of brutal violent defense...

The mid/late 80's leading up to the early 90's were football's greatest era. That can't be debated.

First, that was the Jimmy Johnson / Dennis Erickson era in which the Canes fielded the most dominant teams in the history of college football.

Second, that was when Cunningham electrified the league and Moon and Marino were breaking records. It was when Elway was leading 4th quarter comebacks with a big *** "D" on his helmet.... Barry Sanders was juking dudes out while Payton, Bo Jackson, and Marcus Allen were flat out dominating. That was when LT (the original LT) was making quarterbacks blow snot bubbles, and Ronnie Lott was making running crossing routes a work hazard. It was the era of Deon and Darrell Green, And of course, that was the era when Montana was throwing perfect touchdown passes to Rice.

That was the Bears under Ditka, the Giants under Parcelles, and the 49ers under Walsh. It was the Houston Oilers and the LA Raiders.

Best era, period.

I take it you're from Houston? The Oilers are the red headed step child of this post. The Bungles are probably a better fit. Both garbage organizations.

Go Canes!

The oilers were really good around that time ,one of the most exciting teams to watch back then. Actually the Bengals were really good then too. Had a couple Super Bowls ripped from their grasps multiple times.

Last edited:
Jerome and Reggie terrorized the greatest division in NFL history, fun times for fans of brutal violent defense...

The mid/late 80's leading up to the early 90's were football's greatest era. That can't be debated.

First, that was the Jimmy Johnson / Dennis Erickson era in which the Canes fielded the most dominant teams in the history of college football.

Second, that was when Cunningham electrified the league and Moon and Marino were breaking records. It was when Elway was leading 4th quarter comebacks with a big *** "D" on his helmet.... Barry Sanders was juking dudes out while Payton, Bo Jackson, and Marcus Allen were flat out dominating. That was when LT (the original LT) was making quarterbacks blow snot bubbles, and Ronnie Lott was making running crossing routes a work hazard. It was the era of Deon and Darrell Green, And of course, that was the era when Montana was throwing perfect touchdown passes to Rice.

That was the Bears under Ditka, the Giants under Parcelles, and the 49ers under Walsh. It was the Houston Oilers and the LA Raiders.

Best era, period.

I take it you're from Houston? The Oilers are the red headed step child of this post. The Bungles are probably a better fit. Both garbage organizations.

Go Canes!

The oilers weee really good around that time ,one of the most exciting teams to watch back then. Actually the Bengals were really good then too. Had a couple Super Bowls ripped from their grasps multiple times.

The Bills dominated the AFC back then. You're talking about these teams that were battling for 2nd place in the AFC and not mentioning the clear #1 . I didn't even like the Bills and I feel that needs to be said. Also, let's not forget ****erson, as long as we're talking late 80s. He was a beast.

Best era, period.

Go Canes!

The oilers weee really good around that time ,one of the most exciting teams to watch back then. Actually the Bengals were really good then too. Had a couple Super Bowls ripped from their grasps multiple times.

The Bills dominated the AFC back then. You're talking about these teams that were battling for 2nd place in the AFC and not mentioning the clear #1 . I didn't even like the Bills and I feel that needs to be said. Also, let's not forget ****erson, as long as we're talking late 80s. He was a beast.

The oilers were just exciting to watch, I think that was the point of the poster who mentioned them. That offense with Moon running the show was a thing of beauty.

It's sad moon came along at the time he did, being black pretty much meant you were moved to wr or db. He'd probably own all of the records if not for having to go to the cfl.

They also gave the Bills fits when they played , the Oilers were one of the few afc teams that had the firepower to go toe toe with Buffalo.

Absolute beast from a physical standpoint. Met him over the summer. You have to stand next to the kid to appreciate how big he is and can be. Type of DT we just presumed over the last decade would be heading to LSU or Bama. Frame can carry playing weight of 320+ easy in college. This one will be a battle to the end. He will be top 5 at his position by signing day and the vultures will be circling until signing day. Richt creating a very nice Palm Beach County pipeline. Instead of the Langhams of the world, we're now consistently grabbing guys from PBC who are takes at any school in the country. Now, we need this big boy to get Dent back in the fold. Dent and Richards (I think he's a safety) would be another ridiculous coupling of Palm Beach DB studs.

Advertisement

Best era, period.

Go Canes!

The oilers were just exciting to watch, I think that was the point of the poster who mentioned them. That offense with Moon running the show was a thing of beauty.

It's sad moon came along at the time he did, being black pretty much meant you were moved to wr or db. He'd probably own all of the records if not for having to go to the cfl.

They also gave the Bills fits when they played , the Oilers were one of the few afc teams that had the firepower to go toe toe with Buffalo.

This is all correct. They just loved to lose. As a Steeler fan I admittedly like ****ting on both the Oilers and Bungles. The Oilers with Moon and their run & shoot offense were pretty much responsible for the creation of the zone blitz. That is one of the biggest schematic adjustments in the modern game in my humble opinion. Made the game a lot more fun.

Go Canes!

Jerome Brown was a beast, but you guys are sleeping on Cortez Kennedy. He won 2 National Titles, was an All-American, 3rd overall pick in the draft, made the Pro Bowl 8 out of 10 years, was NFL Defensive POY in 92, had his jersey retired by the Seahawks, and also was elected to the Pro Football HOF.

RIP

RIP

He was completely unlockable his senior year. Just manhandled people...

If he's a take this early for Coach Kool this kid must really be the real deal.

I trust whatever evaluation he makes on the DL.

Coach Kool is the most trusted coach in the history of football when it comes to talent evaluation. I honestly don't remember ANY coach having a better eye for talent, and I've watched a lot of football.

JJ had a great eye.

Advertisement

Best era, period.

Go Canes!

[MENTION=1292]jdmorgan76[/MENTION]: I hate the NFC East w a passion, but can't dispute what you said. You have the Cowboys w 5 rings, the Giants w 4 rings, and the Redskins w 3 rings plus a combined 20 NFC Championship crowns. No division comes close to that sustained success...but still hate the East. Lol

[MENTION=15255]Meat[/MENTION]: spot on. 80/90's football brought skill w toughness and parity. Yes, the AFC was a sacrificial lamb during that era, but the iconic names and teams all came together in that era of football. Funny how the same can be said of the NBA as well. Just a great era for sports.

[MENTION=5224]Samson Doyo[/MENTION]: If Houston defense could actually defend, they could've won a title or play in a SB, at least. That Run-and-shoot offense was revolutionary; problem is, it wore out your defense, too. In Houston's case, that had absolutely none. Houston, in the 80's, reminded me of the Chargers; potent offenses, and impotent defenses. But Houston was really fun to watch.

[MENTION=2343]Cribby[/MENTION] [MENTION=7577]d--1[/MENTION]: I don't think we'll ever see a team go to 4 str8 SBs in a row. Christie caused JK and Buffalo a ring in 91. One of the best kickers, at that time, and flat out missed a rather easy fg. Smh. Then Dallas did them in, back to back. Sad times, but a remarkable accomplishment we most likely won't witness again.

Go Canes!

[MENTION=1292]jdmorgan76[/MENTION]: I hate the NFC East w a passion, but can't dispute what you said. You have the Cowboys w 5 rings, the Giants w 4 rings, and the Redskins w 3 rings plus a combined 20 NFC Championship crowns. No division comes close to that sustained success...but still hate the East. Lol

[MENTION=15255]Meat[/MENTION]: spot on. 80/90's football brought skill w toughness and parity. Yes, the AFC was a sacrificial lamb during that era, but the iconic names and teams all came together in that era of football. Funny how the same can be said of the NBA as well. Just a great era for sports.

[MENTION=5224]Samson Doyo[/MENTION]: If Houston defense could actually defend, they could've won a title or play in a SB, at least. That Run-and-shoot offense was revolutionary; problem is, it wore out your defense, too. In Houston's case, that had absolutely none. Houston, in the 80's, reminded me of the Chargers; potent offenses, and impotent defenses. But Houston was really fun to watch.

[MENTION=2343]Cribby[/MENTION] [MENTION=7577]d--1[/MENTION]: I don't think we'll ever see a team go to 4 str8 SBs in a row. Christie caused JK and Buffalo a ring in 91. One of the best kickers, at that time, and flat out missed a rather easy fg. Smh. Then Dallas did them in, back to back. Sad times, but a remarkable accomplishment we most likely won't witness again.

I never made fun of those Bills teams , which was the cool thing to do back then. I remember the joke " Bills stands for boy I love losing Super Bowls".

I was a huge Eagles fan but I took on the Bills as step team, I just wanted them to finally get a SB. That accomplishment of four straight is insane , even if the afc was down then. Those Buffalo teams had crazy heart , and were a bunch of good dudes. I just wanted them to break through.

The Giants Super Bowl was the one they should've won, they were the best team in the league that year , and it wasn't close. Parcels / Belichik had an unreal game plan that day. But that was the one that slipped through their fingers.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Gun to your head: who's the best of the savage 80s DTs?

I always thought it was Cortez Kennedy, but Russell Maryland is the only Hurricane to win the Outland trophy besides Bryant McKinnie.

I'd go with Jerome Brown. We've got a fantastic legacy of great DTs (we do at about every position!!!).

Hopefully it continues and you've got to think chances are good with Coach Kul in charge.

It's pretty crazy that Jerome Brown played on the same line as Reggie White in the NFL. And they had Randall Cunningham at QB. That team should have won a lot more games.

First off Jerome is the goat Dl I ever saw at UM.

As for the Eagles then , Cunningham had accuracy issues. He was always looking to run first, after some injuries he focused on accuracy. And became a really good passer.

We also didn't have much talent at rb , wr and the ol wasn't too hot. The best wr's were Byars and Keith Jackson , neither were wr's lol.

The offense really wasted an elite defense , one of the best of all time. That side of the ball was loaded.

People forget what an athletic freak of nature Cunningham was. It was natural to expect him to run cause he was still so early on in learning the position. People for the most part give Vick credit for revolutionizing the qb position but besides like fran tarkenton or earl morral it was Randall who did that. Let me put this in perspective for you. When Randall was in college he was a two time all American but he never even played qb. In college he was a punter... an arm like that & he was punting...

Advertisement
I always thought it was Cortez Kennedy, but Russell Maryland is the only Hurricane to win the Outland trophy besides Bryant McKinnie.

I'd go with Jerome Brown. We've got a fantastic legacy of great DTs (we do at about every position!!!).

Hopefully it continues and you've got to think chances are good with Coach Kul in charge.

It's pretty crazy that Jerome Brown played on the same line as Reggie White in the NFL. And they had Randall Cunningham at QB. That team should have won a lot more games.

As for the Eagles then , Cunningham had accuracy issues. He was always looking to run first, after some injuries he focused on accuracy. And became a really good passer.

We also didn't have much talent at rb , wr and the ol wasn't too hot. The best wr's were Byars and Keith Jackson , neither were wr's lol.

The offense really wasted an elite defense , one of the best of all time. That side of the ball was loaded.

People forget what an athletic freak of nature Cunningham was. It was natural to expect him to run cause he was still so early on in learning the position. People for the most part give Vick credit for revolutionizing the qb position but besides like fran tarkenton or earl morral it was Randall who did that. Let me put this in perspective for you. When Randall was in college he was a two time all American but he never even played qb. In college he was a punter... an arm like that & he was punting...

Wait, really? He had to be the most talented guy on the team, how do you not spend all your time figuring out how to get the ball in his hands?

Wait, really? He had to be the most talented guy on the team, how do you not spend all your time figuring out how to get the ball in his hands?

I really hate this stupid autocorrect. It picks and chooses when it adds and subtracts far too freely from your sentence. To clarify he played qb as well in college. What I meant was that he was never dedicated to simply learning & playing one position. He even lined up at wr sometimes. Unlv had him everywhere. It's just an illustration of how athletic he really was.

I really hate this stupid autocorrect. It picks and chooses when it adds and subtracts far too freely from your sentence. To clarify he played qb as well in college. What I meant was that he was never dedicated to simply learning & playing one position. He even lined up at wr sometimes. Unlv had him everywhere. It's just an illustration of how athletic he really was.

I got you. So maybe too much of getting the ball to him in creative ways rather than letting him learn to be QB. That's at least understandable unlike having him solely as your punter.

Advertisement
Back