Remaking the OL

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator
Anyone who has watched Miami for the past three years knows the team has struggled to run block. Here are Miami’s run blocking rankings on PFF for the past three years:

2019- 110th
2020- 99th
2021- 90th

And if you're looking for more traditional stats, here are the rankings in yards per carry:

2019- 119th
2020- 73rd
2021- 110th

Oregon has been much better over the past three years, with a Top 10 ranking in YPC this year and a Top 10 ranking in run blocking grade in 2019.

What is the issue, and how can it get corrected?

To me, the biggest issue (no pun intended) is that we played too many small players. In 2019 and 2020, we started three guys projected at center out of high school (Gaynor, Clark and Scaife). In 2021, Jalen Rivers got hurt and our only other heavy dude (Navaughn Donaldson) struggled with balance.

How can we get this OL looking the right way? Coaching is part of it. But it is imperative that we add the right body types to the room. In my view, we should add a starting RT and a starting RG with size through the Portal. We’ve already sent offers out with more to come. Let’s say (this is not based on info) that we land Tyler Steen and O’Cyrus Torrence or similar players. This would allow us to move Scaife to center to battle with Clark and Seymore. Now, we only have 1 center body on the field instead of 3. And you would still have guys like John Campbell pushing to start.

The other part will come in recruiting. We are after Dave Iuli (6'5, 315), Matthew McCoy (6'6, 285) and Josh Conerly (6'5, 275). If we land two of those guys, plus two transfers, we may have enough to stop the bleeding until we load up on blue-chip monsters in the Class of 2023.

Advertisement
Advertisement
@DMoney i know youve mentioned scaife to center a few times now. is that the plan, or more just where you wish he was utilized?

@DMoney i know youve mentioned scaife to center a few times now. is that the plan, or more just where you wish he was utilized?
This is more my wish, for now. One of the reasons we are so small is that we were playing Gaynor/Scaife/Clark or Clark/Scaife together. I would like to see just one of either Scaife or Clark on the field, barring injury.

Advertisement
This is more my wish, for now. One of the reasons we are so small is that we were playing Gaynor/Scaife/Clark or Clark/Scaife together. I would like to see just one of either Scaife or Clark on the field, barring injury.

Without going into too much detail, is there a goal to get Walker on the field this year, or is this a longer term thing?

Washington has a lot of work to do. Too skinny after two years. McLaughlin needs work, too, but showed more potential last year.
If that's the case after 2 years he might not ever see the field. I thought that one of those 2 guys would turn into something good.

Advertisement
Oregon’s oline either won was a finalist for the Joe Moore award ( best oline unit in the country) a few years back..ppl fooled themselves into thinking Oregon had legit 1rd oline men..the ONLY DUDE on that unit was Sewell. I he scheme was so good and so well coordinated that ppl really believed Oregon had top flight stud on that oline

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back