Remaking the OL

****.. going by official roster sizes, Scaife and Clark are about the same size 6'3 305 range... R.Rod is even small at 6'2 275.. thought the kid was a lot bigger.
This is why I hope people understand there’s going to be some rough growing pains in the first 2 years on offense...

I spent most of the offseason trying to explain how bad our OL was & that you don’t go from a finesse passing offense to being a stout road-grading power run style team overnight, but it was mainly overlooked lol.

It’s gonna take some time before we can become the tough run style team that everyone wants.
well hopefully Mario and the OC recognize that and don't force a square peg in a round hole... Ease into the scheme, until we have the horses.

Advertisement
from what i've seen, conerly is listed at 275. unless he pulls a zion nelson and gains 40 lbs in 1 off-season, he isn't playing next year. what you said is right in plenty of cases, but not everyone is the same. these 2 kids are 6'7" and need to fill in. bottom line is every player is an individual case, and whereas guys like rivers, zion (wasn't ready) and players for bama who may play early, that just doesn't go for everyone. remember jason fox and eric winston started out as TE's, and ended up being very good OLinemen. some kids just develop later and these 2 could very well end up having a couple of good seasons. we're just talking in terms of labeling them a bust already. too early.
He measured at 6' 5" and weighed in at 283 during last week's All-star practices. During his basketball season. He could realistically be 290 by the time he gets here. The real test will be his strength. Regardless, hopefully, he doesn't have to be a primary contributer from Day 1.

This is why I hope people understand there’s going to be some rough growing pains in the first 2 years on offense...

I spent most of the offseason trying to explain how bad our OL was & that you don’t go from a finesse passing offense to being a stout road-grading power run style team overnight, but it was mainly overlooked lol.

It’s gonna take some time before we can become the tough run style team that everyone wants.
Is this what people want? I thought we wanted Air-Raid or some form of it? I dont want to become Michigan. Took Harbaugh 6-7 years to finally build that tough, run style team he had this year.

from what i've seen, conerly is listed at 275. unless he pulls a zion nelson and gains 40 lbs in 1 off-season, he isn't playing next year. what you said is right in plenty of cases, but not everyone is the same. these 2 kids are 6'7" and need to fill in. bottom line is every player is an individual case, and whereas guys like rivers, zion (wasn't ready) and players for bama who may play early, that just doesn't go for everyone. remember jason fox and eric winston started out as TE's, and ended up being very good OLinemen. some kids just develop later and these 2 could very well end up having a couple of good seasons. we're just talking in terms of labeling them a bust already. too early.

Fair enough, I get where you're coming from. I guess my point is that 1-2 developmental guys in a class like Winston or Zion can be ok, but it can't be 3 out of 4 or 4 out of 5 that we're counting on waiting three years before we have any idea if they're going to be any use. That's never going to work. Too much happens with these kids in 3-4 years.

There is no reason Conerly can't gain 15-25 pounds by August and be ready to start at 6'5", 290-300 lbs at RT as a true freshman. If I'm getting a top ten recruit in the country, I want to get three years out of him.

Advertisement
I just thank God Mario is making this a priority after all these years.
I think people often mix up something not being a priority with the former staff just sucking at it. This goes way back...our staffs have always understood the need for dominant line play, they just haven't always been able to recruit the players to get it. What I'm hoping is different isn't that Mario understands the need, but that he's able to fill it.

Is this what people want? I thought we wanted Air-Raid or some form of it? I dont want to become Michigan. Took Harbaugh 6-7 years to finally build that tough, run style team he had this year.
This year was an outlier. Michigan was as overrated a CFP team as I can recall in my memory. The fact that anyone thought they had a chance to win a playoff game blows me away.

We need to be able to both run the ball and sling it all over the yard. When it comes to beating the big boys, it basically becomes the pro game where you have to be able to make difficult catches to take the top off the defense, grind out difficult yards, and win contested catches underneath. There is no magic to it. Air Raid isn't going to cut it in the NCG.

Fair enough, I get where you're coming from. I guess my point is that 1-2 developmental guys in a class like Winston or Zion can be ok, but it can't be 3 out of 4 or 4 out of 5 that we're counting on waiting three years before we have any idea if they're going to be any use. That's never going to work. Too much happens with these kids in 3-4 years.

There is no reason Conerly can't gain 15-25 pounds by August and be ready to start at 6'5", 290-300 lbs at RT as a true freshman. If I'm getting a top ten recruit in the country, I want to get three years out of him.

oh absolutely man. if you are taking developmental guys as the majority of a position group, that is NOT ideal and a bad sign. i just mean maybe a guy here or there, 1 in a class, that's to be expected. you aren't going to get OL or DL in every class where every kid is ready to contribute. those 2 positions are the most on a team that need physical development coming in to college. 5*? ok, i think at any position, that kid needs to see the field in some capacity. because you're right, that pretty much is what happens at all the big boys right now

Anyone who has watched Miami for the past three years knows the team has struggled to run block. Here are Miami’s run blocking rankings on PFF for the past three years:

2019- 110th
2020- 99th
2021- 90th

And if you're looking for more traditional stats, here are the rankings in yards per carry:

2019- 119th
2020- 73rd
2021- 110th

Oregon has been much better over the past three years, with a Top 10 ranking in YPC this year and a Top 10 ranking in run blocking grade in 2019.

What is the issue, and how can it get corrected?

To me, the biggest issue (no pun intended) is that we played too many small players. In 2019 and 2020, we started three guys projected at center out of high school (Gaynor, Clark and Scaife). In 2021, Jalen Rivers got hurt and our only other heavy dude (Navaughn Donaldson) struggled with balance.

How can we get this OL looking the right way? Coaching is part of it. But it is imperative that we add the right body types to the room. In my view, we should add a starting RT and a starting RG with size through the Portal. We’ve already sent offers out with more to come. Let’s say (this is not based on info) that we land Tyler Steen and O’Cyrus Torrence or similar players. This would allow us to move Scaife to center to battle with Clark and Seymore. Now, we only have 1 center body on the field instead of 3. And you would still have guys like John Campbell pushing to start.

The other part will come in recruiting. We are after Dave Iuli (6'5, 315), Matthew McCoy (6'6, 285) and Josh Conerly (6'5, 275). If we land two of those guys, plus two transfers, we may have enough to stop the bleeding until we load up on blue-chip monsters in the Class of 2023.

So what your really saying is moving forward Miami coaches need to and will be spending time recruiting bigger Mama's in order to secure their larger children. Let me be the the first to welcome this new change.

#BigThighsMakeBigLives

Go Canes 4 Chunky Luvin!!

Advertisement
So what your really saying is moving forward Miami coaches need to and will be spending time recruiting bigger Mama's in order to secure their larger children. Let me be the the first to welcome this new change.

#BigThighsMakeBigLives

Go Canes 4 Chunky Luvin!!
Paranos in full effect!

:100:

Man I truly hope your wrong but I’m sure your right lol. I hope Mario tweaks his offense and philosophy. What worries me is what we just witnessed what UGA did..that style is EXACTLY what Mario believes in at his core. And we just saw uga win a natty being 2012 Bama lol..Imo u make the margins between winning and losing so small playing that style..but we will know what’s up based on this OC hire

Ultimately we want to win..ppl foolishly thought we would win automatically if we duplicated what 90% of cfb does lol..ultimately it’s about talent acquisition. I don’t think that will be the issue at all with Mario..does that translate to chips..well see

Advertisement
Man

we literally should have Baylor or Michigan St year two type success next year. It should be a better version of Richt’s first two years. We always lose a bunch of games due to coaching egos.

Advertisement
Zion, Rivers...the rest is a real crapshoot.

100% agree, we need a RG and RT right now. The rest become depth pieces.

Want to see some jumps from Big Baby and Ryan Rodriguez. Kind of want to think Ryan will be a little pet project of Mario/Mirabal for obvious reasons.
Regarding Ryan, did Mirabel even recruit Ryan?

Lord knows Mirabel spent time at Columbus whenever he was in Miami. ****, he coached with many of the current staff.

I'm not so sure Ryan is a Mirabel guy despite the high school connection.

Spot on - lotta dudes in here don't realize there will be some pain along the way not only adjusting to what you stated - but also from purely a culture standpoint. Manny did alot more damage than folks realize.
It will take some time before he gets this where he needs it.

However that won't stop the CIS 2022 record prediction threads from "ACC champs or it's a fail"....

****.. going by official roster sizes, Scaife and Clark are about the same size 6'3 305 range... R.Rod is even small at 6'2 275.. thought the kid was a lot bigger.

well hopefully Mario and the OC recognize that and don't force a square peg in a round hole... Ease into the scheme, until we have the horses.
Maybe we should do more zone running blocking schemes
Given the smaller size of our oline

oh absolutely man. if you are taking developmental guys as the majority of a position group, that is NOT ideal and a bad sign. i just mean maybe a guy here or there, 1 in a class, that's to be expected. you aren't going to get OL or DL in every class where every kid is ready to contribute. those 2 positions are the most on a team that need physical development coming in to college. 5*? ok, i think at any position, that kid needs to see the field in some capacity. because you're right, that pretty much is what happens at all the big boys right now
Hopefully he can learn the play book faster than our last 5 star trentch bully hahaha

Advertisement
Back