Remaking the OL

Ain’t no maulers in south Florida. Giants with length, attitude and great movement skills are rare. It’s why the elite hoard those guys annually..and it’s why Mario was a big get. He recruits well nationally
I don’t know man there’s enough every year
Just think of all the misses under manny and richt
Even if we had gotten Neal the whole oline looks different

Advertisement
Iuli would definitely be the right guy to grab. Pairing him with a ready to go portal guy is nice although I like Campbell for the RG spot theoretically. Seymour is versatile at G/C but I agree body type wise he looks like a center. I'll be curious to see how Rodriguez develops and how Mirabal projects him position wise. Zion, Rivers, Clark is a decent starting point for the line at least.

I don’t know man there’s enough every year
Just think of all the misses under manny and richt
Even if we had gotten Neal the whole oline looks different
Yeah but you calling those misses is stretch because the program has to give guys like Neal etc a REASON to come..based on how miami was operating. The resources put in etc…under Mario I’d be shocked if we don’t bring in a good share of top talent

Yeah but you calling those misses is stretch because the program has to give guys like Neal etc a REASON to come..based on how miami was operating. The resources put in etc…under Mario I’d be shocked if we don’t bring in a good share of top talent
Exactly man
Agree with u 10000%
I just feel if u can keep the top tier south Florida oline home and coach them up
U can build a pretty decent line while you sprinkle in out of state maulers

Advertisement
If that's the case after 2 years he might not ever see the field. I thought that one of those 2 guys would turn into something good.
They're still young players. Offensive linemen take time to mature. I hope Mirabal can get them on the right track because they both have the frame you're looking for to add more functional muscle.

Anyone who has watched Miami for the past three years knows the team has struggled to run block. Here are Miami’s run blocking rankings on PFF for the past three years:

2019- 110th
2020- 99th
2021- 90th

And if you're looking for more traditional stats, here are the rankings in yards per carry:

2019- 119th
2020- 73rd
2021- 110th

Oregon has been much better over the past three years, with a Top 10 ranking in YPC this year and a Top 10 ranking in run blocking grade in 2019.

What is the issue, and how can it get corrected?

To me, the biggest issue (no pun intended) is that we played too many small players. In 2019 and 2020, we started three guys projected at center out of high school (Gaynor, Clark and Scaife). In 2021, Jalen Rivers got hurt and our only other heavy dude (Navaughn Donaldson) struggled with balance.

How can we get this OL looking the right way? Coaching is part of it. But it is imperative that we add the right body types to the room. In my view, we should add a starting RT and a starting RG with size through the Portal. We’ve already sent offers out with more to come. Let’s say (this is not based on info) that we land Tyler Steen and O’Cyrus Torrence or similar players. This would allow us to move Scaife to center to battle with Clark and Seymore. Now, we only have 1 center body on the field instead of 3. And you would still have guys like John Campbell pushing to start.

The other part will come in recruiting. We are after Dave Iuli (6'5, 315), Matthew McCoy (6'6, 285) and Josh Conerly (6'5, 275). If we land two of those guys, plus two transfers, we may have enough to stop the bleeding until we load up on blue-chip monsters in the Class of 2023.
Tyler Steen may be 310+, but he doesn't seem to necessarily fit what you describe. To my amateur eyes, he didn't appear like a big mauler. If they're going after someone like him, I'd venture a guess that what they've evaluated so far (based on old film) is the need for athleticism and functional strength (like the balance you mentioned for Donaldson) over size. If they've got size, too, great. But, seems like a secondary preference. Some of Mirabal's comments reflect that, too.

Exactly man
Agree with u 10000%
I just feel if u can keep the top tier south Florida oline home and coach them up
U can build a pretty decent line while you sprinkle in out of state maulers
Sadly south Florida doesn’t produce that body type in huge quantities. It’s gunna be critical we recruit nationally while locking up our top home talent

I like that our HC is also an OL guy. I expect CMC and Mirabal to get our OL playing at a higher level and to develop the young guys like Washington, Walker, and McLaughlin.

Advertisement
Recruit better players and recruit taller players. Thats what i also want us to do in the defensive front 7. When you are tall its easier to add mass and still add strength and remain quick. One thing Butch was good at and great OL coaches know is to evaluate body type. Huge part of OL recruiting and not just people mushing people in high school.

to me, there is absolutely no way to label a player a bust specifically on the OLine after 1 or 2 years. there and the DL require the most work physically to develop into being ready. they could both end up being very good starters for us for 2 or 3 years ultimately.
I'm not so sure that's true anymore. I mean, sure if you only recruit projects or "diamonds in the rough" like we have, that's maybe true.

Doesn't Alabama pretty much start a freshman on the OL every year or every other year? A look at their current depth chart shows two true sophomore starters at G and C, and of course Evan Neal, who started from day 1 at tackle.

If we're going to get anywhere as a program, we're going to have to stop expecting to wait 3-4 years to know if our players on OL are any good.

There is no reason that we shouldn't be expecting to see 2-3 new OL starters by game 1 next fall, from some combination of HS recruits and transfers. If Conerly is as good as he's billed, I don't see anyone on the current roster who should keep him off the field to start the first game of the season.

Advertisement
Tyler Steen may be 310+, but he doesn't seem to necessarily fit what you describe. To my amateur eyes, he didn't appear like a big mauler. If they're going after someone like him, I'd venture a guess that what they've evaluated so far (based on old film) is the need for athleticism and functional strength (like the balance you mentioned for Donaldson) over size. If they've got size, too, great.
I think it's more relative at this point. He'd be bigger and more powerful than Clark or Scaife (assuming he pushes one of them out).

In the 2023 class, we will see more of their prototype.

Two guys that likely will never play here
That’s why our jag ratio is high
We took so many developmental projects
That’s fine if u are a developing factory ala Wisconsin
But besides Zion can’t think of any oline that we have really developed in the past 5 years
Most peak early on and either plateau or get worse

This is why I hope people understand there’s going to be some rough growing pains in the first 2 years on offense...

I spent most of the offseason trying to explain how bad our OL was & that you don’t go from a finesse passing offense to being a stout road-grading power run style team overnight, but it was mainly overlooked lol.

It’s gonna take some time before we can become the tough run style team that everyone wants.

Advertisement
Anyone who has watched Miami for the past three years knows the team has struggled to run block. Here are Miami’s run blocking rankings on PFF for the past three years:

2019- 110th
2020- 99th
2021- 90th

And if you're looking for more traditional stats, here are the rankings in yards per carry:

2019- 119th
2020- 73rd
2021- 110th

Oregon has been much better over the past three years, with a Top 10 ranking in YPC this year and a Top 10 ranking in run blocking grade in 2019.

What is the issue, and how can it get corrected?

To me, the biggest issue (no pun intended) is that we played too many small players. In 2019 and 2020, we started three guys projected at center out of high school (Gaynor, Clark and Scaife). In 2021, Jalen Rivers got hurt and our only other heavy dude (Navaughn Donaldson) struggled with balance.

How can we get this OL looking the right way? Coaching is part of it. But it is imperative that we add the right body types to the room. In my view, we should add a starting RT and a starting RG with size through the Portal. We’ve already sent offers out with more to come. Let’s say (this is not based on info) that we land Tyler Steen and O’Cyrus Torrence or similar players. This would allow us to move Scaife to center to battle with Clark and Seymore. Now, we only have 1 center body on the field instead of 3. And you would still have guys like John Campbell pushing to start.

The other part will come in recruiting. We are after Dave Iuli (6'5, 315), Matthew McCoy (6'6, 285) and Josh Conerly (6'5, 275). If we land two of those guys, plus two transfers, we may have enough to stop the bleeding until we load up on blue-chip monsters in the Class of 2023.
“I’m the O’Cyrus of this ****! Wu-Tang is here forever! Motha f++€az!”

I'm not so sure that's true anymore. I mean, sure if you only recruit projects or "diamonds in the rough" like we have, that's maybe true.

Doesn't Alabama pretty much start a freshman on the OL every year or every other year? A look at their current depth chart shows two true sophomore starters at G and C, and of course Evan Neal, who started from day 1 at tackle.

If we're going to get anywhere as a program, we're going to have to stop expecting to wait 3-4 years to know if our players on OL are any good.

There is no reason that we shouldn't be expecting to see 2-3 new OL starters by game 1 next fall, from some combination of HS recruits and transfers. If Conerly is as good as he's billed, I don't see anyone on the current roster who should keep him off the field to start the first game of the season.

from what i've seen, conerly is listed at 275. unless he pulls a zion nelson and gains 40 lbs in 1 off-season, he isn't playing next year. what you said is right in plenty of cases, but not everyone is the same. these 2 kids are 6'7" and need to fill in. bottom line is every player is an individual case, and whereas guys like rivers, zion (wasn't ready) and players for bama who may play early, that just doesn't go for everyone. remember jason fox and eric winston started out as TE's, and ended up being very good OLinemen. some kids just develop later and these 2 could very well end up having a couple of good seasons. we're just talking in terms of labeling them a bust already. too early.

Size and athleticism is where we have been lacking imo. Forget about comparing to the top of the top in Bama and UGA. Where the sec differs from us is in size and the way those guys up front move. In my opinion they pass the eye test whereas we look small in the trenches.

Advertisement
Back