Remaking the OL

We need to start looking like the Jeff Stoutland days. Stoutland had the recruiting philosophy to recruit mainly OTs. If they couldn't make it work outside, they would bump them in to G or C. The byproduct is a unit with overall good body-types. I don't think we have had better lines since that time.

Advertisement
Agree, if you watch Bama, UGA or any of the big boy programs you see massive dudes on the OL

We looked weak and doughy compared to those teams at OL

Went to the Bama vs Miami game this year and my Bama friend who played college football said first thing when teams hit the field to warm up “Miami looks so small” I honestly couldn’t tell a big difference from our seats but him being someone who played college QB spotted it immediately.

Mario knows this and will get it fixed. He has said in multiple interviews he is looking for specific body types and sizes

Maybe this is a hot take but Jakai Clark was not a big upgrade from Gaynor imo.
Also, I don't see how we can field a competent OL unless we land at least 2 ready-made, impact players from the portal.

Went to the Bama vs Miami game this year and my Bama friend who played college football said first thing when teams hit the field to warm up “Miami looks so small” I honestly couldn’t tell a big difference from our seats but him being someone who played college QB spotted it immediately.

Mario knows this and will get it fixed. He has said in multiple interviews he is looking for specific body types and sizes
Bro before the season started they were talking how we were gonna bump down McCloud to DE, Start Flagg and move Keontra to other LB.. freaking tiny along the front and Flagg/McCloud are not fast enough to make up the difference.. Before you took a snap you knew we were gonna be steamrolled by bama.. I think first snap in that game bama RB gets hit by Keontra at line of scrimmage then drags him for 4 yards before he has to be gang tackled by like 6 players along our sideline.. Our players were hyped like it was a TFL, we were dead on arrival..

Advertisement
Anyone who has watched Miami for the past three years knows the team has struggled to run block. Here are Miami’s run blocking rankings on PFF for the past three years:

2019- 110th
2020- 99th
2021- 90th

And if you're looking for more traditional stats, here are the rankings in yards per carry:

2019- 119th
2020- 73rd
2021- 110th

Here's the thing though....look at the PFF Run Blocking rankings for all years (only goes back to 2014)

2014- 29th
2015- 117th
2016- 33rd
2017- 61st
2018- 36th

2019- 110th
2020- 99th
2021- 90th

Even when our run blocking ranks out well - everyone just blindly blames the run blocking for being terrible.

It's the talent of our RB's that's just as (if not more) important to our running success than the OL

1642192373442.png

Last edited:
Anyone who has watched Miami for the past three years knows the team has struggled to run block. Here are Miami’s run blocking rankings on PFF for the past three years:

2019- 110th
2020- 99th
2021- 90th

And if you're looking for more traditional stats, here are the rankings in yards per carry:

2019- 119th
2020- 73rd
2021- 110th

Oregon has been much better over the past three years, with a Top 10 ranking in YPC this year and a Top 10 ranking in run blocking grade in 2019.

What is the issue, and how can it get corrected?

To me, the biggest issue (no pun intended) is that we played too many small players. In 2019 and 2020, we started three guys projected at center out of high school (Gaynor, Clark and Scaife). In 2021, Jalen Rivers got hurt and our only other heavy dude (Navaughn Donaldson) struggled with balance.

How can we get this OL looking the right way? Coaching is part of it. But it is imperative that we add the right body types to the room. In my view, we should add a starting RT and a starting RG with size through the Portal. We’ve already sent offers out with more to come. Let’s say (this is not based on info) that we land Tyler Steen and O’Cyrus Torrence or similar players. This would allow us to move Scaife to center to battle with Clark and Seymore. Now, we only have 1 center body on the field instead of 3. And you would still have guys like John Campbell pushing to start.

The other part will come in recruiting. We are after Dave Iuli (6'5, 315), Matthew McCoy (6'6, 285) and Josh Conerly (6'5, 275). If we land two of those guys, plus two transfers, we may have enough to stop the bleeding until we load up on blue-chip monsters in the Class of 2023.
I don't know much about o line play, just that we've been poor for quite a while and that So Fla doesn't seem to produce a lot of o linemen for reasons i don't understand. I'd see if we could get someone like Wisconsin's second string o line to all go in the portal. Would be an upgrade.

Two things:

The number of offensive linemen who come in ready to play right away out of high school is minuscule. We’re talking about probably the top 1% of all OL recruits. Some guys get forced to play early but they’re not ready and are only playing out of necessity. So even if Mario and Mirabal can bring in some top notch line recruits, it’s going to be a year or two before they’re ready to play. If this team comes out next year with this same group of linemen and tries to be some road grading, power rushing offense, we’re going to struggle to score points.

Secondly, Miami has really never been a great offensive line program. Outside of the run in the early 2000’s, there hasn’t been a dominant line here. Yes, there were some solid units in the 80’s and 90’s and Golden had a couple years of good line production but they were really not consistent and relied more on finesse and skill talent than mauling defenses.

It’s encouraging that we finally have a staff capable of signing some high profile OL players and that only helps the program but if Mario really wants to transition this team into some ground and pound offensive unit, he better be patient. And the fans better be patient. The only thing keeping this team from being 2-10 last year was a wide open passing game and a quarterback who can sling it. If we step away from that, the immediate results are going to be ugly.

Just a reminder that Miami had the best Pass Blocking Oline in the ACC last season. Some of these comments suggest or are insinuating that the Oline was in shambles. The Miami Oline is I think two or three maulers from being elite.

They kept Van Dimes upright to deliver those darts he was slinging all over the field once he was handed the keys to the offense. Defenses were throwing the kitchen sink at Van Dimes and the Oline and they still DOMINATED to the tune of being the BEST in the ACC in Pass Blocking.

Advertisement
Just a reminder that Miami had the best Pass Blocking Oline in the ACC last season. Some of these comments suggest or are insinuating that the Oline was in shambles. The Miami Oline is I think two or three maulers from being elite.

They kept Van Dimes upright to deliver those darts he was slinging all over the field once he was handed the keys to the offense. Defenses were throwing the kitchen sink at Van Dimes and the Oline and they still DOMINATED to the tune of being the BEST in the ACC in Pass Blocking.
Garin Justice did a really good job the past 2 years with a unit that was in shambles after the 2019 season. There are now some good pieces and a good foundation. It should keep getting better.

Really wondering what the O-Line looks like next season.

I like the idea of moving Scaife to Center. Only issue is that leaves us with 4 centers (Scaife, Clark, Seymore and Rodriguez). Hopefully no one hits the portal cause of a log-jam at the position.

I think we probably look for at least one starting caliber player on the right side. Without transfers though, I think an o-line of Zion-Rivers-Scaife- Campbell/Oluwaseun-Campbell/Oluwaseun would be at the very least serviceable. Who knows, maybe Mirabal can even resurrect the career of Cleveland Reed (who if I remember correctly was like a champion power-lifter in highschool).

I think Gaby Uruttia mentioned in article a month or two ago that Marcus Dumervil would be an interesting o-line to keep and eye on if he enters the portal. Any chance of that still?

Marlon Martinez is an interesting name, too. He started a few games this year as a RS-Freshman and has versatility.

That would be sweet! Hopefully Cristobal and Mirabal can work their magic and appeal to him coming home.

Speaking of former South Florida O-Line, any chance we take a look at Kadeem Telfort? Seems he made All C-USA Honorable mention as a LT in 2021. Maybe he can fill the Jarrid Williams role of a 25 year old 6-7 Right Tackle?

Advertisement

Bro our linebackers were significantly smaller than bamas RB…from
Across the board they were the better looking athletes. I was at the game too. It was clear as day. Not as bad but very similar to the LSU game. Those were two national championship rosters

There’s only so much a S&C program can do. But you look at the body types Mario was recruiting at Oregon..there’s a reason Dan lanning and other SEC coaches took interest in that job up there. Cupboard up there is Far from bare. And that roster was built to pop In 22 imo..Mario recruited with same precision when it came to height/weight/speed..and he got that secret sauce from the GOAT.

Marlon Martinez is an interesting name, too. He started a few games this year as a RS-Freshman and has versatility.
**** that kid is in the portal already too?. Martinez would be a nice addition. Kid can probably play all 5 positions up front if need to

FYI, I read somewhere that RT Williams was explosive and dominating his reps at the Hula bowl practices. Scouts had some really impressive things to say about him.

Sounded like he would get other invites and that he's worked his way to being a draftable player. He's 24 and it wasn't an issue for the scouts.

Advertisement

2019- 110th
2020- 99th
2021- 90th

2019- 119th
2020- 73rd
2021- 110th

Oregon has been much better over the past three years, with a Top 10 ranking in YPC this year and a Top 10 ranking in run blocking grade in 2019.

What is the issue, and how can it get corrected?

To me, the biggest issue (no pun intended) is that we played too many small players. In 2019 and 2020, we started three guys projected at center out of high school (Gaynor, Clark and Scaife). In 2021, Jalen Rivers got hurt and our only other heavy dude (Navaughn Donaldson) struggled with balance.

How can we get this OL looking the right way? Coaching is part of it. But it is imperative that we add the right body types to the room. In my view, we should add a starting RT and a starting RG with size through the Portal. We’ve already sent offers out with more to come. Let’s say (this is not based on info) that we land Tyler Steen and O’Cyrus Torrence or similar players. This would allow us to move Scaife to center to battle with Clark and Seymore. Now, we only have 1 center body on the field instead of 3. And you would still have guys like John Campbell pushing to start.

The other part will come in recruiting. We are after Dave Iuli (6'5, 315), Matthew McCoy (6'6, 285) and Josh Conerly (6'5, 275). If we land two of those guys, plus two transfers, we may have enough to stop the bleeding until we load up on blue-chip monsters in the Class of 2023.
I don't have same PFF access you do.

Could you contrast (just the rankings) for:
Clemson
L'ville
Virginia
VT

ND
Clemson
UNC
NC St

Wake
NC St
Pitt
UNC

I suspect we will see a fairly significant difference (for the better).

So what your really saying is moving forward Miami coaches need to and will be spending time recruiting bigger Mama's in order to secure their larger children. Let me be the the first to welcome this new change.

#BigThighsMakeBigLives

Go Canes 4 Chunky Luvin!!
Mario is trying to build out the support staff. Perks of the job.

lol wowwww.

I went to the game.as well..was basically a hs reunion for me n my closest high school friends n teammates.

We get there during warm ups...first words to come out of our mouths when we all look at each other...." got **** we look small"
we were watching the lbs and dbs warm up...n both of my boys were lol'ing how they would beat up on our lbs an dbs. And i honestly was like yea...i can see it.

lol wowwww.

I went to the game.as well..was basically a hs reunion for me n my closest high school friends n teammates.

We get there during warm ups...first words to come out of our mouths when we all look at each other...." got **** we look small"
we were watching the lbs and dbs warm up...n both of my boys were lol'ing how they would beat up on our lbs an dbs. And i honestly was like yea...i can see it.

Miami was warming up on our side and he was laughing at our o-line and just kept telling me how they were going to beat our ***. Fun times haha.

Our Lb’s did look so small out there. Their WR were bullying our DB’s. It was sad to watch

Advertisement
Back