Recruits reactions to Golden staying

[]_[]nique-31;1759263 said:
We also have mostly mediocre talent, we are upgrading this year!!!
Duke, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Georgia Tech, Wake Forest....every year its the same story losing to inferior ACC teams w/ mediocre talent....we should have won the Coastal no excuses

We didn't lose to those teams because of mediocre talent, we lost because of mediocre coaching!!

FACT FACT FACT! WHY DON'T PEOPLE REALIZE THIS??????

1. because it's opinion, not fact, and 2. because it's not true (it's likely a combination of talent and coaching, which is an opinion, too)

So you think all of those teams mentioned above are as talented, or more talented than us?

Advertisement

We didn't lose to those teams because of mediocre talent, we lost because of mediocre coaching!!

1. because it's opinion, not fact, and 2. because it's not true (it's likely a combination of talent and coaching, which is an opinion, too)

So you think all of those teams mentioned above are as talented, or more talented than us?

Nope. Perhaps you should take another stab at reading what I wrote.

Nope. Perhaps you should take another stab at reading what I wrote.

You said it's likely a combination of talent and coaching. I took that as we have mediocre talent at some spots and mediocre coaching along with that. Is that right?

This is too simplistic. Belichick always discusses the fact that he's trying to build a team, not assemble talent. Take Duke for example, it's a JR and SR led team with solid depth that's been part of a program for their entire careers. There's a reason they had so much success scoring in the 4th quarter.

Winning goes way beyond who has more or less talent. Don't get me wrong, that's where it starts, but it's way more than that.

This is too simplistic. Belichick always discusses the fact that he's trying to build a team, not assemble talent. Take Duke for example, it's a JR and SR led team with solid depth that's been part of a program for their entire careers. There's a reason they had so much success scoring in the 4th quarter.

Winning goes way beyond who has more or less talent. Don't get me wrong, that's where it starts, but it's way more than that.

I agree. That is what I am getting at. It goes beyond talent! Duke out cached us.

Advertisement

I agree. That is what I am getting at. It goes beyond talent! Duke out cached us.

What does this have with recruiting?

They probably did, but that's not really what I said. My point is a talented team that has a solid coach can and often does get beaten, on any given Saturday, by a lesser talented team with a lesser coach. Now, I don't think anyone REALLY knows how good a coach Golden is at this stage. He may be a middling coach as many on here want to label him, he may have been hamstrung by circumstances up until this point. He may be learning still. (Btw, the best coach on the planet is still learning, so I don't consider that a bad thing). Frankly, I don't think anyone knows at this point and won't for another 2-3 years. Keep in mind, 12 months ago, many at FSU had serious questions about Jimbo after a few years as they we routinely losing 3-4 head scratcher games a year.

Advertisement

What does this have with recruiting?

Not much, but we like to live on the edge.

Losing Valentine was huge but glad the rest of the class held together through this Coaching controversy

They probably did, but that's not really what I said. My point is a talented team that has a solid coach can and often does get beaten, on any given Saturday, by a lesser talented team with a lesser coach. Now, I don't think anyone REALLY knows how good a coach Golden is at this stage. He may be a middling coach as many on here want to label him, he may have been hamstrung by circumstances up until this point. He may be learning still. (Btw, the best coach on the planet is still learning, so I don't consider that a bad thing). Frankly, I don't think anyone knows at this point and won't for another 2-3 years. Keep in mind, 12 months ago, many at FSU had serious questions about Jimbo after a few years as they we routinely losing 3-4 head scratcher games a year.

But we lost two of those in a row! FSU is a much better team than us but VT and Duke in back to back weeks is inexcusable!

But we lost two of those in a row! FSU is a much better team than us but VT and Duke in back to back weeks is inexcusable!

Come on, is it really? I mean, I know rage is the currency and language of the internet in general and this board in particular, but I think this is an overstatement. People like to try to minimize context by referring to it as excuses, but VT is a well coached and talented team that likely has more depth than the U. Duke had the best year in their football history and gave a very good TX A&M team everything that they could handle.

I was a scholarship athlete at the U years ago, so I likely hate seeing the U lose more than just about anyone, but I felt like the turn around of this program was going to take 5 years and have many bumps (bumps = losses) and that was prior to the NCAA stuff.

In 2011, FSU lost to Wake and UVA. Moreover, the Wake loss was their 3rd in a row and came after a bye week. If losing to VT and Duke, in a year that they were actually a really good team, is inexcusable, what do we call those losses by Jimbo's FSU team? All I'm saying is that, we don't know yet and likely won't for 2-3 years.

Advertisement

Come on, is it really? I mean, I know rage is the currency and language of the internet in general and this board in particular, but I think this is an overstatement. People like to try to minimize context by referring to it as excuses, but VT is a well coached and talented team that likely has more depth than the U. Duke had the best year in their football history and gave a very good TX A&M team everything that they could handle.

I was a scholarship athlete at the U years ago, so I likely hate seeing the U lose more than just about anyone, but I felt like the turn around of this program was going to take 5 years and have many bumps (bumps = losses) and that was prior to the NCAA stuff.

In 2011, FSU lost to Wake and UVA. Moreover, the Wake loss was their 3rd in a row and came after a bye week. If losing to VT and Duke, in a year that they were actually a really good team, is inexcusable, what do we call those losses by Jimbo's FSU team? All I'm saying is that, we don't know yet and likely won't for 2-3 years.

i really believe we are two years away from a really good year. next year might still have some problems on the defensive side of the ball as these young guys need time to get stronger.

Ok so would it be reasonable, looking at FSU's progression, to expect to be and win the Orange Bowl next year or a big bow like that.

Ok so would it be reasonable, looking at FSU's progression, to expect to be and win the Orange Bowl next year or a big bow like that.

Truthfully, I'm not sure. IMO, the QB position is such a question mark at this point that I have no idea what reasonable is. FSU had a 1st round draft pick as their QB. I think if we get solid QB play, then we will compete for a 1/1 bowl. If not, we won't. I'd be surprised if we made the Orange Bowl next year because FSU will likely stand in the way. 2 years from now, I think the Orange Bowl is definitely a reasonable goal.

Advertisement
The []_[];1760350 said:
We went 9-4.. Shut up already...that's improvement PERIOD.

1.gif
1.gif
1.gif

Truthfully, I'm not sure. IMO, the QB position is such a question mark at this point that I have no idea what reasonable is. FSU had a 1st round draft pick as their QB. I think if we get solid QB play, then we will compete for a 1/1 bowl. If not, we won't. I'd be surprised if we made the Orange Bowl next year because FSU will likely stand in the way. 2 years from now, I think the Orange Bowl is definitely a reasonable goal.

FSU will likely be in the playoffs next year, so we can make a big bowl game even if we don't win the ACCCG I just don't know exactly how they are doing the bowls next year.

Tim Reynolds@ByTimReynolds 3m So imagine this potential recruiting pitch from Al Golden: "I could have gone home, to my alma mater, my dream job. And I'm still at Miami."

Boom! Recruits can say he'll never leave and he's down for the U no matter what. Haters can hate but they cant deny that

Except he was never offered. You can't turn down a job that's never yours to take.

Advertisement
Back