Recruits reactions to Golden staying

Just wait til other chances get to use this to negatively recruit against us now.

How can these kids even trust him now?

Golden's own motto is "if you're looking we're looking". Don't know how any recruit can even take this guy seriously now.

This is stupid. Golden is a beast of a salesperson and will spin this to benefit the U. "My alma mater came knocking, I respect that institution enough to meet with them, they gave me an offer and I told them that I have no plans of leaving this U for a long time" "Not even my alma mater can get me to leave here"

BINGO. If anything this KILLS any negative recruiting against AG. He just says, "the ONLY job I would have ever considered beyond this one, was my alma mater, my dream job for most of my life, and I turned it down".

This will not hurt recruiting ONE lick going forward.

Advertisement
[]_[]nique-31;1759263 said:
We also have mostly mediocre talent, we are upgrading this year!!!
Duke, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Georgia Tech, Wake Forest....every year its the same story losing to inferior ACC teams w/ mediocre talent....we should have won the Coastal no excuses

We didn't lose to those teams because of mediocre talent, we lost because of mediocre coaching!!

FACT FACT FACT! WHY DON'T PEOPLE REALIZE THIS??????

With the news that coach Al Golden will be back as Miami's head coach, Hurricane commitments reacted with relief.

Some of their reactions:

* Braxton Berrios: "I was beyond happy - I saw (the news) on Twitter, and coach (Brennan) Carroll and coach (Al) Golden messaged me. Coach Golden said `Sorry about all the noise, thanks for hanging in there, let's do it.'"

Berrios adds "Everything was so kept quiet I didn't know what to expect. I didn't think he was going, but thought there was a pretty good possibility he would. I was anxious he was leaving, so when I found out he was staying I was beyond excited that we didn't have to go through the coaching changes, recruiting issues.

"Especially with me coming in two days (as an early enrollee) it would have been a really big culture shock to get down there and know nobody. It's a real relief. I'm ready to get the ball rolling."

* Nigel Bethel III: "A Cane fan told me the news on Twitter - I didn't feel he was ever leaving. When I committed he told me had a six-year deal at Miami, so I trusted his word."

If Golden had left, Bethel said it "wouldn't really" have affected the recruiting class.

"Coach (James) Coley played a big part, helped, and coach Golden stamped it," Bethel said.

* Tyre Brady: "I heard on Twitter. I was very excited. It was great. I'm excited he's staying."

Brady says regardless he would have stuck with the Canes.

"This is a big deal for Miami," he said. "He's the one that built this class."

* Trevor Darling: "I was pretty happy about it. But I kind of knew he would stay. He knew we had something going on here."

If Golden had left?

"I still would have stayed with Miami," Darling said.

* Trent Harris (who just got the news from this reporter): "Oh, good, thank you Lord! I can't wait to get there, just to give him a big hug.

"I'm 100 percent committed to Miami regardless of if he was coming back or not."

Harris says he's set to come to Miami Jan. 8 as an early enrollee.

* Christopher Herndon: "I'm very excited that Al Golden stayed. After he came for the home visit, I got a little more familiar with him, and loved what he had to say, and it all just sunk in and got me excited to play for him."

* Kiy Hester: "Was a little nervous, but happy he's staying and now I'm focused on preparing to get ready for next year and helping the team."

Hester said if Golden had left he might have decommitted, saying it "depends who would have come in (as new coach)."

He adds "But I wanted to stay."

* Calvin Heurtelou: "I hadn't heard he was staying. I'm excited."

Heurtelou also said his plans to arrive Jan. 8 have hit a snag, but he hopes to arrive in late January before the last day to add classes.

He has already signed with UM.
* Courtel Jenkins: "It was good, nice to hear the news he was staying. It made me feel more comfortable with going there."

Jenkins said, had Golden left, "I probably would have decommitted."

That's because Golden and much of his staff have personal ties to the New Jersey area - Jenkins' home territory.

Jenkins adds that "Since coach Golden got to Miami he's doing great things. We have a great recruiting class coming in and we have things to accomplish, can set goals high. We'll come in this year and have a great year and more to come."

Jenkins also said other programs were already after him to decommit.

"A couple schools hit me up when the whole al Golden thing was happening," he said. "Pittsburgh was one of them. They said `If Golden leaves we have a spot here on our team for you, come play for us.'"

* Darrell Langham: "I didn't even know he was thinking about leaving. I wasn't on Twitter, hadn't been paying attention.

"I first heard about it this morning, but I wasn't thinking about it much."

* Ryan Mayes: "That's really great. He's a really good coach in my eyes. He looks out for the kids. That's good he's coming back.

"I was worried (he'd leave). It wouldn't have affected my commitment, but it would have been a letdown because I'm looking forward to him coaching me."

* Terry McCray: "I wasn't sure what would happen. It's great that he's staying."

McCray also now says to no longer list him as a soft commitment - he was previously strongly considering LSU.

"I'm solid," he says. "I already see the program turning back around, getting back how it used to be. Now that he's staying it'll be better. All the commits will stay now."

* KC McDermott: "I didn't think he was going to leave. I wasn't worried."

If Golden had left, would it have affected the class in a major way?

"It wouldn't have been a big affect on us," McDemott said.

* Darrion Owens: "I'm happy and relieved."
* Brandon Powell: "Coach Golden sent me a message today on Twitter saying sorry for everything, that he's staying at Miami. I wanted to play for coach Golden, so when I found out he was staying I was happy."

Powell, who is arriving early, says if Golden had left that he would not have reported to Miami this week.

"I had another school I would have gone to," Powell said, declining to name the school. "I didn't want to go to college under a new coach, having a coach that might change my position, not even want me maybe. I wanted to play for coach Golden."

* Malik Rosier: "I'm happy. He's a great man. And it would change a lot for me because if he would of left I might not be able to play both baseball and football. I'm glad he is staying with us. He turned down his own alumni, so that means he's buying into the University of Miami and that makes me want to buy in and sell out even more."

* Mike Smith: "I'm excited. I found out from a sports app on my phone. Him coming back, it'll help the older guys out for next year so they don't have to transition to a whole new system, and it helps us having the system already in place, to build."

Smith said if Golden had left he's "not sure" if he would have decommitted.

* Chad Thomas: "I was just happy, happy he's staying."

Thomas said he found out the news via Twitter.

"I didn't know if he'd come back, honestly," Thomas said. "I was worried about it. I got the news he might be leaving at the All-American game."

And if Golden had left?

"I still would have stayed committed," Thomas said.

* Travonte Valentine decommitted yesterday due to news that Golden might leave for Penn State. When reached by CaneSport and told Golden was staying, Valentine said he has no immediate plans to recommit.

He is choosing between Miami and LSU.

* Michael Wyche: "I heard the news - Anthony Chickillo and me and good friends, so he told me. Oh man, I'm very happy. I really wanted him to stay. He's a great coach, players' coach."

Wyche has already signed with UM, so he would have been a Cane regardless.

"I was worried (he'd leave), was worried about the coaching situation," Wyche said. "He could have easily took the job. I'm just happy he thought about his players, kids he was leaving behind that really were counting on him. That says a lot about him."

* Juwon Young: "It's always good for a good head coach to stay. I love the U and keeping Golden is a plus and I know he would love a national championship team."

Young said he would have stuck with his commitment even had Golden left.

Toma

Wow, good thing these players dont spend a lot of time on these boards.

* Malik Rosier: "I'm happy. He's a great man. And it would change a lot for me because if he would of left I might not be able to play both baseball and football. I'm glad he is staying with us. He turned down his own alumni, so that means he's buying into the University of Miami and that makes me want to buy in and sell out even more."

This is what recruits will see unlike most of the soft shouldered mopes that have been posting here the last few days.

Duke, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Georgia Tech, Wake Forest....every year its the same story losing to inferior ACC teams w/ mediocre talent....we should have won the Coastal no excuses

We didn't lose to those teams because of mediocre talent, we lost because of mediocre coaching!!

Take a look at the draftable Canes thread and get back to me.

Advertisement

Take a look at the draftable Canes thread and get back to me.

Homie with all due respect, talent is not an excuse because Duke doesn't have any. Their highest recruiting class since Golden got here is 50- outs has never been outside the too 25. So please tell me, not that we know we have and always have had more talent, what is the missing factor?

Do you know what Cutcliffe would do with this talent?

Cutliffe was the coordinator of a National Championship team. He's not just some random guy. Cutliffe would run through the coastal with Miami caliber talent.

With the news that coach Al Golden will be back as Miami's head coach, Hurricane commitments reacted with relief.

Some of their reactions:

* Braxton Berrios: "I was beyond happy - I saw (the news) on Twitter, and coach (Brennan) Carroll and coach (Al) Golden messaged me. Coach Golden said `Sorry about all the noise, thanks for hanging in there, let's do it.'"

Berrios adds "Everything was so kept quiet I didn't know what to expect. I didn't think he was going, but thought there was a pretty good possibility he would. I was anxious he was leaving, so when I found out he was staying I was beyond excited that we didn't have to go through the coaching changes, recruiting issues.

"Especially with me coming in two days (as an early enrollee) it would have been a really big culture shock to get down there and know nobody. It's a real relief. I'm ready to get the ball rolling."

* Nigel Bethel III: "A Cane fan told me the news on Twitter - I didn't feel he was ever leaving. When I committed he told me had a six-year deal at Miami, so I trusted his word."

If Golden had left, Bethel said it "wouldn't really" have affected the recruiting class.

"Coach (James) Coley played a big part, helped, and coach Golden stamped it," Bethel said.

* Tyre Brady: "I heard on Twitter. I was very excited. It was great. I'm excited he's staying."

Brady says regardless he would have stuck with the Canes.

"This is a big deal for Miami," he said. "He's the one that built this class."

* Trevor Darling: "I was pretty happy about it. But I kind of knew he would stay. He knew we had something going on here."

If Golden had left?

"I still would have stayed with Miami," Darling said.

* Trent Harris (who just got the news from this reporter): "Oh, good, thank you Lord! I can't wait to get there, just to give him a big hug.

"I'm 100 percent committed to Miami regardless of if he was coming back or not."

Harris says he's set to come to Miami Jan. 8 as an early enrollee.

* Christopher Herndon: "I'm very excited that Al Golden stayed. After he came for the home visit, I got a little more familiar with him, and loved what he had to say, and it all just sunk in and got me excited to play for him."

* Kiy Hester: "Was a little nervous, but happy he's staying and now I'm focused on preparing to get ready for next year and helping the team."

Hester said if Golden had left he might have decommitted, saying it "depends who would have come in (as new coach)."

He adds "But I wanted to stay."

* Calvin Heurtelou: "I hadn't heard he was staying. I'm excited."

Heurtelou also said his plans to arrive Jan. 8 have hit a snag, but he hopes to arrive in late January before the last day to add classes.

He has already signed with UM.
* Courtel Jenkins: "It was good, nice to hear the news he was staying. It made me feel more comfortable with going there."

Jenkins said, had Golden left, "I probably would have decommitted."

That's because Golden and much of his staff have personal ties to the New Jersey area - Jenkins' home territory.

Jenkins adds that "Since coach Golden got to Miami he's doing great things. We have a great recruiting class coming in and we have things to accomplish, can set goals high. We'll come in this year and have a great year and more to come."

Jenkins also said other programs were already after him to decommit.

"A couple schools hit me up when the whole al Golden thing was happening," he said. "Pittsburgh was one of them. They said `If Golden leaves we have a spot here on our team for you, come play for us.'"

* Darrell Langham: "I didn't even know he was thinking about leaving. I wasn't on Twitter, hadn't been paying attention.

"I first heard about it this morning, but I wasn't thinking about it much."

* Ryan Mayes: "That's really great. He's a really good coach in my eyes. He looks out for the kids. That's good he's coming back.

"I was worried (he'd leave). It wouldn't have affected my commitment, but it would have been a letdown because I'm looking forward to him coaching me."

* Terry McCray: "I wasn't sure what would happen. It's great that he's staying."

McCray also now says to no longer list him as a soft commitment - he was previously strongly considering LSU.

"I'm solid," he says. "I already see the program turning back around, getting back how it used to be. Now that he's staying it'll be better. All the commits will stay now."

* KC McDermott: "I didn't think he was going to leave. I wasn't worried."

If Golden had left, would it have affected the class in a major way?

"It wouldn't have been a big affect on us," McDemott said.

* Darrion Owens: "I'm happy and relieved."
* Brandon Powell: "Coach Golden sent me a message today on Twitter saying sorry for everything, that he's staying at Miami. I wanted to play for coach Golden, so when I found out he was staying I was happy."

Powell, who is arriving early, says if Golden had left that he would not have reported to Miami this week.

"I had another school I would have gone to," Powell said, declining to name the school. "I didn't want to go to college under a new coach, having a coach that might change my position, not even want me maybe. I wanted to play for coach Golden."

* Mike Smith: "I'm excited. I found out from a sports app on my phone. Him coming back, it'll help the older guys out for next year so they don't have to transition to a whole new system, and it helps us having the system already in place, to build."

Smith said if Golden had left he's "not sure" if he would have decommitted.

* Chad Thomas: "I was just happy, happy he's staying."

Thomas said he found out the news via Twitter.

"I didn't know if he'd come back, honestly," Thomas said. "I was worried about it. I got the news he might be leaving at the All-American game."

And if Golden had left?

"I still would have stayed committed," Thomas said.

* Travonte Valentine decommitted yesterday due to news that Golden might leave for Penn State. When reached by CaneSport and told Golden was staying, Valentine said he has no immediate plans to recommit.

He is choosing between Miami and LSU.

* Michael Wyche: "I heard the news - Anthony Chickillo and me and good friends, so he told me. Oh man, I'm very happy. I really wanted him to stay. He's a great coach, players' coach."

Wyche has already signed with UM, so he would have been a Cane regardless.

"I was worried (he'd leave), was worried about the coaching situation," Wyche said. "He could have easily took the job. I'm just happy he thought about his players, kids he was leaving behind that really were counting on him. That says a lot about him."

* Juwon Young: "It's always good for a good head coach to stay. I love the U and keeping Golden is a plus and I know he would love a national championship team."

Young said he would have stuck with his commitment even had Golden left.

Toma

Wow, good thing these players dont spend a lot of time on these boards.

Courted said he would have de committed! Remember when everyone made a big deal about his tweet last night!

Lesson to be learned: don't read too much into kids' tweets or statuses and don't message or tweet them either.

For all we know that tweet could have been about a girl!

Advertisement
Cutliffe was the coordinator of a National Championship team. He's not just some random guy. Cutliffe would run through the coastal with Miami caliber talent.
Possibly.

Unfortunately we don't have Miami calibre talent at the moment (at least not in the Jr and Senior ranks).

I don't think Dorito or Coley are good co-ordinators (and Dorito should be fired), but it's not like they're ******* up with NFL players.

Apparently you didn't see Rogers, Highsmith, Cornelius, Gaines, etc. play.

@michaelirvin88: "@HNYNUT_BERRIOS: WE ALL STAND WITH THE U!! It's a canes thing, you guys just wouldn't understand "men like u. Will rebuild da u! QUICKLY

Cutcliff ran through the Coastal THIS year WITHOUT Miami Caliber Talent. Stew on that for a bit.

I will say this, I Like Golden & have Always liked Golden, but I have ZERO Faith in Onofrio as a DC Period End Of Story.

Advertisement
@michaelirvin88: "@HNYNUT_BERRIOS: WE ALL STAND WITH THE U!! It's a canes thing, you guys just wouldn't understand ��"men like u. Will rebuild da u! QUICKLY

Hope that is not an NCAA violation

Advertisement
"Come to Miami, a place so great even I tried to leave."

Well at least he did listen to them with class. He never lied to anyone, he kept quiet about it. I'll give him credit for that. Say what you want about Al, but is a class act. Maybe not a great coach but a class act.

Class act huh? Kept the whole staff, recruits and fan base in Limbo for 3 days and he's a class act. ok

Yes he did listen to their pitch but how do you know if he was using Penn St to get more money or insurance. Bottom line was he didn't make any statements that make him look like a liar like Saban did with the Dolphins. There was a lot of speculation the last couple of days and we may never know the truth. Most of the stories came from that clown Ferman. I'm not big on Al as a coach until he proves it on the field but the talent on defense isn't there right now and the offense suffered injuries to star players. We played with a 50% Hurns, no Herb, Dorsett and Duke. As you can see we are not deep on either side of the ball and injuries to star players cripple this team. By the way, the staff was on vacation because it was the dead period and I read one of the staff members was quoted Al told him he was staying a couple of days ago.

Ok. I don't know, but that's the main reason I am not going and calling him a class act. Perception is viewed as reality, and the perception is that he valued that job over this one. He didn't dismiss the rumors if that's all they were. Mora and Briles did.

Perception is viewed as reality?? It was 48 hours...grow up. It was big boy business and he handled it well. He doesn't owe the fans a minute by minute of his thought process and he's allowed to talk with the people that represent his alma mater without being considered a traitor. How do we know that he didn't go into the conversation with PSU as a courtesy and they backed up the brinks truck which gave him pause? We don't know what happened and we're not entitled to know, not sure why some think they are...

Well at least he did listen to them with class. He never lied to anyone, he kept quiet about it. I'll give him credit for that. Say what you want about Al, but is a class act. Maybe not a great coach but a class act.

Class act huh? Kept the whole staff, recruits and fan base in Limbo for 3 days and he's a class act. ok

Yes he did listen to their pitch but how do you know if he was using Penn St to get more money or insurance. Bottom line was he didn't make any statements that make him look like a liar like Saban did with the Dolphins. There was a lot of speculation the last couple of days and we may never know the truth. Most of the stories came from that clown Ferman. I'm not big on Al as a coach until he proves it on the field but the talent on defense isn't there right now and the offense suffered injuries to star players. We played with a 50% Hurns, no Herb, Dorsett and Duke. As you can see we are not deep on either side of the ball and injuries to star players cripple this team. By the way, the staff was on vacation because it was the dead period and I read one of the staff members was quoted Al told him he was staying a couple of days ago.

Ok. I don't know, but that's the main reason I am not going and calling him a class act. Perception is viewed as reality, and the perception is that he valued that job over this one. He didn't dismiss the rumors if that's all they were. Mora and Briles did.

Perception is viewed as reality?? It was 48 hours...grow up. It was big boy business and he handled it well. He doesn't owe the fans a minute by minute of his thought process and he's allowed to talk with the people that represent his alma mater without being considered a traitor. How do we know that he didn't go into the conversation with PSU as a courtesy and they backed up the brinks truck which gave him pause? We don't know what happened and we're not entitled to know, not sure why some think they are...

Exactly

1. because it's opinion, not fact, and 2. because it's not true (it's likely a combination of talent and coaching, which is an opinion, too)

Advertisement
Back