Recruiting Q & A (December 3rd)

View as article
Im not sure if Pete answered so my b if did but I have read that Cooks grandmother is huge in his recruitment so do you know how strongly she feels about UM right now?

Advertisement
Most underrated and most overrated current commit?

Underrated
Langham
Smith
Herndon

Not saying these kids are "overrated", but I think people need to slow down on Darrion Owens and Trent Harris. I'm not sure they will be able to make a huge impact right away. I LOVE Owens as a prospect, but he's so new to the position that it will be an adjustment period to him.

On a side note, I truly believe that Demetrius Jackson has the highest ceiling of anyone in this class.

More so than Thomas?

It's very close and I see Thomas as a potential 1st rounder in 4 years, but what Jackson has shown in half a year of playing football is incredible.

Pete, this may have been asked before, but if Duke was a part of this years RB class, where would rank him amongst the SoFL backs?

Advertisement
Pete, this may have been asked before, but if Duke was a part of this years RB class, where would rank him amongst the SoFL backs?

I would probably go

1) Cook
2) Duke
3) Sony
4) Yearby

With Cook and Duke very, very close

I would probably go

1) Cook
2) Duke
3) Sony
4) Yearby

So you expect Cook to get a lot of PT as a FR? That would be a huge coup for us then, because of the lack of depth we have at RB. Also if Cook does come, what happens with Powell. He could be a guy that gets lost in the shuffle, or do you think he is talented enough to get some PT with Yearby, Cook and Duke on the roster?

Advertisement

I would probably go

1) Cook
2) Duke
3) Sony
4) Yearby

So you expect Cook to get a lot of PT as a FR? That would be a huge coup for us then, because of the lack of depth we have at RB. Also if Cook does come, what happens with Powell. He could be a guy that gets lost in the shuffle, or do you think he is talented enough to get some PT with Yearby, Cook and Duke on the roster?

No doubt in my mind Cook would get major PT as a freshman. He is as talented as Duke/Coley, who both made huge impacts during their freshman years.

Powell would probably get a shot to compete as a RB, and then be switched to CB which might be his big money position. He's a smart kid and is willing to make the switch if it helps him and the team.

Underrated
Langham
Smith
Herndon

Not saying these kids are "overrated", but I think people need to slow down on Darrion Owens and Trent Harris. I'm not sure they will be able to make a huge impact right away. I LOVE Owens as a prospect, but he's so new to the position that it will be an adjustment period to him.

On a side note, I truly believe that Demetrius Jackson has the highest ceiling of anyone in this class.

More so than Thomas?

It's very close and I see Thomas as a potential 1st rounder in 4 years, but what Jackson has shown in half a year of playing football is incredible.

So he is going to be drafted before the first round?

Underrated
Langham
Smith
Herndon

More so than Thomas?

I'm saying they are both 1st round talents down the line, but Jackson could be drafted higher.

I would probably go

1) Cook
2) Duke
3) Sony
4) Yearby

Powell would probably get a shot to compete as a RB, and then be switched to CB which might be his big money position. He's a smart kid and is willing to make the switch if it helps him and the team.

does Powell have the frame to put on the weight of a Bob Sanders type Safety? seems like a playmaker in that Lamarcus Joyner roll

Advertisement
Underrated
Langham
Smith
Herndon

More so than Thomas?

I'm saying they are both 1st round talents down the line, but Jackson could be drafted higher.

I was being sarcastic.

I would probably go

1) Cook
2) Duke
3) Sony
4) Yearby

Will Powell definitely end up in this class? Seems like he might be wavering a little bit recently.

Underrated
Langham
Smith
Herndon

More so than Thomas?

who else do you see with 1st round talent in this class? Valentine, Mcdermott...?

Advertisement
I know youve always been higher on cook, like me, but do you believe yearby can be a star at miami if say we strike out on cook or Sony....why or why not

I would probably go

1) Cook
2) Duke
3) Sony
4) Yearby

does Powell have the frame to put on the weight of a Bob Sanders type Safety? seems like a playmaker in that Lamarcus Joyner roll

DMoney has mentioned this, but Powell's lower-half is what could hold him back as a running back so I don't know how much more weight he could really put on while maintaining his speed. I see him as a corner all the way if he plays defense. I don't really agree on the Joyner comparison because Joyner is a bit more explosive.

Advertisement
Back