Recruiting is a weird thing

Advertisement
This is totally off-topic and probably a bit negative, but it got me thinking. In 2008, Randy Shannon cleaned up South Florida. It was the happiest NSD we've ever had. Some called it the best class in the country. Now, looking back on it, four things dawned on me:

We signed a five-star cornerback. But the five-star cornerback we missed was Patrick Peterson.

We signed three highly rated DTs, including the number one DT in the country. But the defensive tackle we missed was Corey Liuget.

We signed seven wide receivers. But the wide receiver we missed was T.Y. Hilton.

We signed eight players out of Miami Northwestern. But the ninth guy was Lavonte David.

Crootin' is a crazy game.

As Lu and others have stated, losing Luiget most definitely did sting, but I get the point that you are trying to make. And it's the very reason why I say that although I hate to see the bigtime studs leave, the way south Florida works you just never know how things will turn out. If we miss on some elite guys, but then sign another kid that's extremely productive in south florida but may not have the ideal measurables, I feel confident that there's a good chance that the kid will end up having a good college career. I know no one wants to hear that, but that's exactly how Al Golden needs to build this program. No offense, but he doesn't need to take Malik Rosier, or Jacoby Briscoe, or Jontavious Carter, or **** Ladarius Gunter (and I like Gunter). If we're going to take a chance on an underrated kid, let it be from right in our backyard. And for the love of God let him be productive. Sure you'll miss on some, but I truly believe that you'd have a better shot at hitting.

just my .02

and oh yeah, what Lu said about fit.

Again, fit cannot be overstated.

For example...in this class.....Lamar Parker out of BTW is headed to wvu....That is the perfect fit for his skill set.....dude will put up numbers in that offense and peeps will call hima miss...but schematically hes a fit for their.

If Treon Harris really wants a fit he'll go to Auburn.....he's the exact same qb as the guy they have running their o right now.

And thing is, I believe he's a better passer than marshall.

It's just crazy to me that we signed 8 guys from one high school and the 9th guy is a cot**** All-Pro.

& the backup quarterback, who looked up to all 8 of those players, just shredded our **** poor defense. Ugh. Agreed, recruiting is a weird thing.

Tha
t class was overrated it had nothing to do with coaching, people claimed on here wtch them ball out in the nfl. Nope hasn't happened and if it has to a very few, I think it was bad projection of players taking a leap to college. Davis was good at that and knew if a kid would grow or whatever, Spence was the only one who wa holy **** when u watched MNW and David but Spence can see a play quick he was Miami caliber but his teammates weren't. The star system wasn't that great in 08 though as it is now it gets better every year and they r close espn with there ranking.

Advertisement

For example...in this class.....Lamar Parker out of BTW is headed to wvu....That is the perfect fit for his skill set.....dude will put up numbers in that offense and peeps will call hima miss...but schematically hes a fit for their.

If Treon Harris really wants a fit he'll go to Auburn.....he's the exact same qb as the guy they have running their o right now.

I think we've only seen a fraction of what Malzahn has in mind for his offense. I think Sean White will be interesting there.

Lu, thing is with Gus, his "offense" changes. I know I'm a bit biased, but I truly believe the man is an offensive genius. The offense that most people saw this season was actually not even the same offense that Gus was running during the first part of the season. See, during the first four games or so (when no one really cared about watching AU), the offense was more dropback and the pace wasn't nearly as fast (I stated somewhere else that marshall had as many pass attempts in the first four games than he did in the final 8). Then, after the loss to LSU, AU had a bye week and malzahn tinkered with the offense. He noticed that Marshall looked more comfortable running the zone read and the rest is history. He'll tweak the offense again this offseason to add more with Marshall. Since Gus has been in college (as an assistant and as a head man), Nick Marshall will be his first returning starter at QB. The man is giddy.

You mention White, but I will tell you what will be interesting; to see his offense in 2015 when Jeremy Johnson is the starting QB. I expect it to look completely different but still productive. And regarding White, I know some on here implied that the kid was a statue, but the kid I saw at the all american game had an uncanny ability to buy time with his feet. He was extremely impressive imo.

you are showing your age...we had super classes back in the day....

But I fully agree...where they wasted here, not coached who knows...some went to the NFL and still struggled under great HOF coaches...who knows...

Tell me one that was better then the 2008 one, crootin' vet?

Disagree about the 2008 class being the best ever. It had a huge amount of numbers (32), the star ranking was only 3.33 (Rivals). We are currently at a 3.42 this year. 09, 12, 13 all had higher average stars.

***Star rankings aren't perfect, **** they aren't even that reliable but that is really the only way to judge a class until you see the results on the field.

WRONG. 2008 was the best class we have ever had. The only one that could possibly come close is the 05' class or maybe the 99' class.

And just to throw my 2 cents in..Nobody could have projected Lavonte David would have turned out that great. I saw MNW play like 5-6 times that year and he was in the shadow of Spence, Forston AND Chandler on that defense. He was the bridesmaid back then. Now hes the one poppin' the bottles at Club Liv on Sunday nights now and the other 3 are just tangin' along.

Losing Peterson was bad. Losing Peterson AND Janorris Jenkins hurt worse. That situation was like the RB situation this year. There were 3 BIG TIME premier DBs in SoFla that year and we only got one. Smh. Harris turned out to be good but also was the worst of the 3. Lets pray that doesnt happen this time around with Yearby being the lesser of Cook and Sony like many are projecting.

You can blame Liuguts mom for that one. Buddy wanted to come here BAD. Smh. Another mom that got in the way.

TY was a baaaaad man in HS but we all were completely satisfied with our class at that time. The only head scratcher was prob Kendal Thompkins.

2008 will go down as the most hyped but also most disappointing class ever. Those kids told us they would bring it back and we believed them 100%. I thought Randy was a recruiting tycoon! ****. 6 years later and we are still asking ourselves WTF happened?

Advertisement
And regarding White, I know some on here implied that the kid was a statue, but the kid I saw at the all american game had an uncanny ability to buy time with his feet. He was extremely impressive imo.

Whoever said that is crazy. White isn't a runner, but his mobility is his best attribute.

I think we've only seen a fraction of what Malzahn has in mind for his offense. I think Sean White will be interesting there.

Lu, thing is with Gus, his "offense" changes. I know I'm a bit biased, but I truly believe the man is an offensive genius. The offense that most people saw this season was actually not even the same offense that Gus was running during the first part of the season. See, during the first four games or so (when no one really cared about watching AU), the offense was more dropback and the pace wasn't nearly as fast (I stated somewhere else that marshall had as many pass attempts in the first four games than he did in the final 8). Then, after the loss to LSU, AU had a bye week and malzahn tinkered with the offense. He noticed that Marshall looked more comfortable running the zone read and the rest is history. He'll tweak the offense again this offseason to add more with Marshall. Since Gus has been in college (as an assistant and as a head man), Nick Marshall will be his first returning starter at QB. The man is giddy.

You mention White, but I will tell you what will be interesting; to see his offense in 2015 when Jeremy Johnson is the starting QB. I expect it to look completely different but still productive. And regarding White, I know some on here implied that the kid was a statue, but the kid I saw at the all american game had an uncanny ability to buy time with his feet. He was extremely impressive imo.

That's what I meant re: seeing only a fraction of what he does. Believe me, I'm fascinated by Malzahn and have been for years. He's originally a Delaware Wing-T guy, which is what I played in and against in HS. So, I see a lot of the same principles, how he stretches it out and adds to a modern, evolving offense. The Wing-T hinges on strategy. It's all about how to do more with less. It's the core of how I look at football, sports and…well, everything.

(It's what bothers me so much about some of the stuff we've watched over the last decade here)

I don't believe in specific schemes too much. I believe in philosophy and a way of approaching offense or defense.

T.Y. Hilton to me wasnt a "miss"...

As we had our T.Y. Hilton in Trav Benjamin....T.Y. got to go to FIU be the man for 4 yrs and develop himself as a wr in every facet......had he came here he might not have sniffed the field for awhile imo..Crooting is funny like that....Benjamin is also in the league....but plays with bums at qb...and Hilton is running around with the LUCK...to me they are both similar players.

-David didnt have grades to go anywhere.

-The rest u posted i agreed upon...and literally every one on grassy was up ina rms about....Liuget and Pat Peterson had constant threads...everyone realized those misses fromd ay one especially on Peterson who EVERYONE knew was ready to go from day one.

There always those that slip threw the fishing net...its s.fla.....its why i would like in the recruiting game to pay attention in house first especially at skill spots before we head out of state...a second team/third team all dade/broward kid is an all state kid elsewhere.

take iff the canes goggles. TB is tiy and has poor hands. How many balls had to him him in the hands then hit the turf? TY all day over TB. plague

That's what I meant re: seeing only a fraction of what he does. Believe me, I'm fascinated by Malzahn and have been for years. He's originally a Delaware Wing-T guy, which is what I played in and against in HS. So, I see a lot of the same principles, how he stretches it out and adds to a modern, evolving offense. The Wing-T hinges on strategy. It's all about how to do more with less. It's the core of how I look at football, sports and…well, everything.

(It's what bothers me so much about some of the stuff we've watched over the last decade here)

I don't believe in specific schemes too much. I believe in philosophy and a way of approaching offense or defense.

I totally agree Lu. As an Auburn grad, I've got to admit that I'm extremely excited about Malzahn. One aspect where I think he's really underrated is his ability to set up what he really wants to do. The guy has a real feel for the game and how opponents will react to what he's doing. Lost in the euphoria of the miracle catch against UGA was the fact that Nick Marshall actually made the wrong read and the read that he was supposed to make was to Sammie coates to give them just what Malzhan wanted (a 20+ yard reception to convert the 4th and 18.) Similar stuff with regards to the play against Bama that actually tied the game at 28. We're in the stands screaming because we feel as if Gus is taking too much **** time but he's just setting things up so that the DB will bite on the run action. Dude really seems to have a gift.

Advertisement
Its amazing how many kids who aren't highly recruited become studs and how many blue chip guys turn out to be JAGS. It's an inexact science because some kids peak at 12 years old and are hyped because they developed early and don't develop any more and some kids continue to develop into their twenties. The classic example is David Robinson in hoops. The Admiral was 6'5" tall when he entered the Unites States Naval Academy and 7'0" tall in his sophomore or junior year.

I totally agree Lu. As an Auburn grad, I've got to admit that I'm extremely excited about Malzahn. One aspect where I think he's really underrated is his ability to set up what he really wants to do. The guy has a real feel for the game and how opponents will react to what he's doing. Lost in the euphoria of the miracle catch against UGA was the fact that Nick Marshall actually made the wrong read and the read that he was supposed to make was to Sammie coates to give them just what Malzhan wanted (a 20+ yard reception to convert the 4th and 18.) Similar stuff with regards to the play against Bama that actually tied the game at 28. We're in the stands screaming because we feel as if Gus is taking too much **** time but he's just setting things up so that the DB will bite on the run action. Dude really seems to have a gift.

Change your handle, TIA.

Advertisement

And thing is, I believe he's a better passer than marshall.

treon has played qb his whole life...with his two older bro
's being qbs and his dad being an oc.

dude understand offensive schemes likely better than the marshall kid as well...im actually sure hes a better passer at this point.

at the right place at the right time properly prepared and properly conditioned

this is how an athlete succeeds / shines

also don't underestimate recruiting...its not about 5 stars or rankings.. its about the right players that fit your playcalling.
nothing is done alone. look at Famous Annus...His top receiver had a crappy game and he looked like Stephan Morris vs Duke out there vs Auburn.

this is chess and

Advertisement
Back