Recruiting is a weird thing

I'm not even blaming Shannon. I like how he attacked that class.

It's just crazy to me that we signed 8 guys from one high school and the 9th guy is a cot**** All-Pro.

i get u.....i still think Spence is better than David though if he could ever get ont he field...

The crazy part is the kid that we or most on the grassy board wanted other than spence ALSO looked better than David....the goon that signed with usf and didnt qualify or got kicked out...**** his name slipped me.

Its always something with s.fla....DMONEY ..Carey Williams is in the nfl...a kid who played at chaminade who basically nobody knew about...and got a scholly to fordham because one of my boys from chaminade (Jon Beason's older bro) played cb their and did a good job.

Say what? I like Spence a lot but he would have never been as good as David is right now. I am Bucs fan and watched all of their games. David is a legit Top 5 OLB in the league. Pro Bowl be damned.

Speaking of spence how is his knee doing? I hope he is able to come back, he was my favorite player during the shannon era

Advertisement
This is totally off-topic and probably a bit negative, but it got me thinking. In 2008, Randy Shannon cleaned up South Florida. It was the happiest NSD we've ever had. Some called it the best class in the country. Now, looking back on it, four things dawned on me:

We signed a five-star cornerback. But the five-star cornerback we missed was Patrick Peterson.

We signed three highly rated DTs, including the number one DT in the country. But the defensive tackle we missed was Corey Liuget.

We signed seven wide receivers. But the wide receiver we missed was T.Y. Hilton.

We signed eight players out of Miami Northwestern. But the ninth guy was Lavonte David.

Crootin' is a crazy game.

Well said my man. No one really knows how a kids gone act, work, or develop once they get on campus. Serious, only about 25% of any class amounts to anything super productive. That's the ***** of the game.

It's just crazy to me that we signed 8 guys from one high school and the 9th guy is a cot**** All-Pro.

i get u.....i still think Spence is better than David though if he could ever get ont he field...

The crazy part is the kid that we or most on the grassy board wanted other than spence ALSO looked better than David....the goon that signed with usf and didnt qualify or got kicked out...**** his name slipped me.

Its always something with s.fla....DMONEY ..Carey Williams is in the nfl...a kid who played at chaminade who basically nobody knew about...and got a scholly to fordham because one of my boys from chaminade (Jon Beason's older bro) played cb their and did a good job.

Say what? I like Spence a lot but he would have never been as good as David is right now. I am Bucs fan and watched all of their games. David is a legit Top 5 OLB in the league. Pro Bowl be damned.

Your a bucs fan thats why your saying that.

Dude i dont know if u really paid attention to Spence while here....dude might have been one of the most instinctual backers coming out of the county. The last time i saw him..this summer he was considerably bigger also......there isnt much difference between the two if their healthy....David has him by an inch and is a step fasterwith a 4.6 40. Their the same guy man....been watching them since their 10th grade years.......except as smart as David is...Spence sees that sh*t before it develops....if he ever plays he will be agood one for steelers

Again, fit cannot be overstated.

For example...in this class.....Lamar Parker out of BTW is headed to wvu....That is the perfect fit for his skill set.....dude will put up numbers in that offense and peeps will call hima miss...but schematically hes a fit for their.

If Treon Harris really wants a fit he'll go to Auburn.....he's the exact same qb as the guy they have running their o right now.

Advertisement

Your a bucs fan thats why your saying that.

Dude i dont know if u really paid attention to Spence while here....dude might have been one of the most instinctual backers coming out of the county. The last time i saw him..this summer he was considerably bigger also......there isnt much difference between the two if their healthy....David has him by an inch and is a step fasterwith a 4.6 40. Their the same guy man....been watching them since their 10th grade years.......except as smart as David is...Spence sees that sh*t before it develops....if he ever plays he will be agood one for steelers

Love Spence. I'm in no way an expert in all aspects of the game but that dude's instincts, heart, motor and effort were second to none while he was here. It seemed like not everybody appreciated him while he was was here and he'll be hardly mentioned when it comes to the best LBs that played at the U. People were always quick to mention his less than favorable measurables for his position but I agree and think that if it wasn't for his knee injury that he would excel mightily in Pittsburgh. That team is the perfect match for him.

This is totally off-topic and probably a bit negative, but it got me thinking. In 2008, Randy Shannon cleaned up South Florida. It was the happiest NSD we've ever had. Some called it the best class in the country. Now, looking back on it, four things dawned on me:

We signed a five-star cornerback. But the five-star cornerback we missed was Patrick Peterson.

We signed three highly rated DTs, including the number one DT in the country. But the defensive tackle we missed was Corey Liuget.

We signed seven wide receivers. But the wide receiver we missed was T.Y. Hilton.

We signed eight players out of Miami Northwestern. But the ninth guy was Lavonte David.

This tells me we have not had the right coaches to develop these players.

Advertisement
This results from that class, or lack thereof has much more to do with coaching/development than hits or misses.

That class should have been the foundation for a National Championship caliber team and I believe we would have competed for a NC in 2010 under the right staff. The talent was there.

That class also was coached by the worst coach in the history of the program who by his sheer idiocy set this program back so many years.... Those fla kids had no drive at all their work ethic was pathetic

A big part of recruiting is coaches being able to evaluate talent and not get caught up in star ratings

Spence was a great player, put him on the 2001-2002 team and he is talked about as one of the best LBs to ever play here.

Advertisement

This tells me we have not had the right coaches to develop these players.

So because we don't have a offense/defense that fits every player in so.fla it's the coaches fault?

T.Y. Hilton to me wasnt a "miss"...

As we had our T.Y. Hilton in Trav Benjamin....T.Y. got to go to FIU be the man for 4 yrs and develop himself as a wr in every facet......had he came here he might not have sniffed the field for awhile imo..Crooting is funny like that....Benjamin is also in the league....but plays with bums at qb...and Hilton is running around with the LUCK...to me they are both similar players.

Not even close and it's hilarious that 7 people like that post. The knocks on Hilton going into the draft were durability and competition level, not talent. He's much more gifted than Benjamin, who really only shares one thing in common with Hilton and that's speed. I'm sorry but I don't see Benjamin burning the Seahawks (best pass defense since the '02 Bucs) twice in one game, and Luck isn't the one getting massive separation on his routes. Miami should've recruited Hilton instead of Thompkins, no doubt.

Hilton is developing into one of the best receivers in the game. He has ridiculous acceleration, he can stop on a dime and he's dangerous after the catch on crossers, bubbles and arrow routes. Benjamin is a very poor man's Hilton with inferior route-running, ball skills, hands, etc.

Nice avatar tho.

Advertisement

For example...in this class.....Lamar Parker out of BTW is headed to wvu....That is the perfect fit for his skill set.....dude will put up numbers in that offense and peeps will call hima miss...but schematically hes a fit for their.

If Treon Harris really wants a fit he'll go to Auburn.....he's the exact same qb as the guy they have running their o right now.

I think we've only seen a fraction of what Malzahn has in mind for his offense. I think Sean White will be interesting there.

I think we've only seen a fraction of what Malzahn has in mind for his offense. I think Sean White will be interesting there.

Who are the guys you think would be good fits that we are passing on? You mentioned something in a previous post.

Gus is like a mad scientist with that offense.

Advertisement
Back