Recruiting is a weird thing

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator
This is totally off-topic and probably a bit negative, but it got me thinking. In 2008, Randy Shannon cleaned up South Florida. It was the happiest NSD we've ever had. Some called it the best class in the country. Now, looking back on it, four things dawned on me:

We signed a five-star cornerback. But the five-star cornerback we missed was Patrick Peterson.

We signed three highly rated DTs, including the number one DT in the country. But the defensive tackle we missed was Corey Liuget.

We signed seven wide receivers. But the wide receiver we missed was T.Y. Hilton.

We signed eight players out of Miami Northwestern. But the ninth guy was Lavonte David.

Crootin' is a crazy game.

Advertisement
This is totally off-topic and probably a bit negative, but it got me thinking. In 2008, Randy Shannon cleaned up South Florida. It was the happiest NSD we've ever had. Some called it the best class in the country. Now, looking back on it, four things dawned on me:

We signed a five-star cornerback. But the five-star cornerback we missed was Patrick Peterson.

We signed three highly rated DTs, including the number one DT in the country. But the defensive tackle we missed was Corey Liuget.

We signed seven wide receivers. But the wide receiver we missed was T.Y. Hilton.

We signed eight players out of Miami Northwestern. But the ninth guy was Lavonte David.

And speaks to the nature of recruiting and NSD in general...easy to get excited about, but never tells the full story.

you are showing your age...we had super classes back in the day....

But I fully agree...where they wasted here, not coached who knows...some went to the NFL and still struggled under great HOF coaches...who knows...

I broke my neck and ankles over the loss of Deonte Thompson and Antone Smith only to find out they were mediocre.

It's always a chicken or the egg type of thing with me when it comes to recruiting.

Were all those kids really that bad and such severe busts, or was it the staff's fault? There was just such a high bust % (giggity) in that class that it doesn't make sense.

Advertisement
T.Y. Hilton to me wasnt a "miss"...

As we had our T.Y. Hilton in Trav Benjamin....T.Y. got to go to FIU be the man for 4 yrs and develop himself as a wr in every facet......had he came here he might not have sniffed the field for awhile imo..Crooting is funny like that....Benjamin is also in the league....but plays with bums at qb...and Hilton is running around with the LUCK...to me they are both similar players.

-David didnt have grades to go anywhere.

-The rest u posted i agreed upon...and literally every one on grassy was up ina rms about....Liuget and Pat Peterson had constant threads...everyone realized those misses fromd ay one especially on Peterson who EVERYONE knew was ready to go from day one.

There always those that slip threw the fishing net...its s.fla.....its why i would like in the recruiting game to pay attention in house first especially at skill spots before we head out of state...a second team/third team all dade/broward kid is an all state kid elsewhere.

Disagree with gogeta on Hilton, but his points are solid regarding fit and context. Everyone that had seen PP or Liuget thought they'd be studs and, regardless of who we got, it stung.

There are a number of guys this year, however, that we're straight up passing on.

Advertisement
To me it shows how if you are in the wrong system and not in a good environment then they dont develop. I'm willing to bet if that same class played under Urban, Les, or Saban then the outcome would have been different.

We sign about 25 per year. Around 3000 sign each year with 1-FBS programs. Do the math. We have 2975 kids we can call misses every year.

Just hope we get the kids the HC wants, not necessarily who internet poster think we want.

Disagree about the 2008 class being the best ever. It had a huge amount of numbers (32), the star ranking was only 3.33 (Rivals). We are currently at a 3.42 this year. 09, 12, 13 all had higher average stars.

***Star rankings aren't perfect, **** they aren't even that reliable but that is really the only way to judge a class until you see the results on the field.

How on this planet was Hilton not a miss?

You think he would have done what he did at fiu with us?....

And had he nopt gotten those astronomical numbers at fiu he wouldnt have gotten noticed as much by nfl scouts....

Even now the kid is in a good fit for his talents.....i like him as a player....kid is from the 305 and every thing but dont get carried away.....we had a wr in the same time period that put up solid career stats for us..who would of had even more if we had a qb that could get him the ball more or in the scheme he could be in.

Our best wr in the last decade to come out of here physically put up just SOLID numbers in Andre Johnson.
T.Y. Hilton was the ONLY thing at FIU...And even now he is the ONLY thing at wr for Luck. Like Literally the only threat.

Unless your expecting um to sign 8 wrs a class..then we will always have misses...as s.fla will put skill guys in the league every **** year regardless from where. I remember Antonio Brown running around as a qb for Norland...guess hes a miss too?

Advertisement
Disagree about the 2008 class being the best ever. It had a huge amount of numbers (32), the star ranking was only 3.33 (Rivals). We are currently at a 3.42 this year. 09, 12, 13 all had higher average stars.

***Star rankings aren't perfect, **** they aren't even that reliable but that is really the only way to judge a class until you see the results on the field.

Highlights go a long way for me. Although you never know what they've got between the ears and in college that's the most important thing IMO

I think we sweat recruiting too much honestly. If we are or we're being properly coached then we will be fine. Even the busted *** 2011 was ranked in the early 30s. Wake isn't pulling in classes like that. Uva, gt, duke, **** even vt are stoked with a 30th ranked class most years. We will always be able to bring in enough talent to at least be competitive in our division, so the question becomes why can't we actually get it done?

That sadly I have no good answer for

And had he nopt gotten those astronomical numbers at fiu he wouldnt have gotten noticed as much by nfl scouts....

Even now the kid is in a good fit for his talents.....i like him as a player....kid is from the 305 and every thing but dont get carried away.....we had a wr in the same time period that put up solid career stats for us..who would of had even more if we had a qb that could get him the ball more or in the scheme he could be in.

Our best wr in the last decade to come out of here physically put up just SOLID numbers in Andre Johnson.
T.Y. Hilton was the ONLY thing at FIU...And even now he is the ONLY thing at wr for Luck. Like Literally the only threat.

Unless your expecting um to sign 8 wrs a class..then we will always have misses...as s.fla will put skill guys in the league every **** year regardless from where. I remember Antonio Brown running around as a qb for Norland...guess hes a miss too?

who said sign 8? Did I miss some alternate universe where we hit on all 7 WRs? Or even hit on half? Or where they were all so highly rated that someone like TY got pushed out when everyone in Dade knew the kid was a baller?

Even then, for the sake of the argument, yeah you take the 8th when it's a local playmaker who's helps on specials immediately ahead of guys like Joe Wylie, John Calhoun, etc.

also, I'd say Hank put up pretty decent numbers.

Advertisement
I'm not even blaming Shannon. I like how he attacked that class.

It's just crazy to me that we signed 8 guys from one high school and the 9th guy is a cot**** All-Pro.

Well he is doing it in the NFL LOL Kid was a baller from day 1. It was a miss. Not just by us. Every team that let that kid head to FIU with an offer missed.

It's just crazy to me that we signed 8 guys from one high school and the 9th guy is a cot**** All-Pro.

i get u.....i still think Spence is better than David though if he could ever get ont he field...

The crazy part is the kid that we or most on the grassy board wanted other than spence ALSO looked better than David....the goon that signed with usf and didnt qualify or got kicked out...**** his name slipped me.

Its always something with s.fla....DMONEY ..Carey Williams is in the nfl...a kid who played at chaminade who basically nobody knew about...and got a scholly to fordham because one of my boys from chaminade (Jon Beason's older bro) played cb their and did a good job.

i get u.....i still think Spence is better than David though if he could ever get ont he field...

The crazy part is the kid that we or most on the grassy board wanted other than spence ALSO looked better than David....the goon that signed with usf and didnt qualify or got kicked out...**** his name slipped me.

Its always something with s.fla....DMONEY ..Carey Williams is in the nfl...a kid who played at chaminade who basically nobody knew about...and got a scholly to fordham because one of my boys from chaminade (Jon Beason's older bro) played cb their and did a good job.

Say what? I like Spence a lot but he would have never been as good as David is right now. I am Bucs fan and watched all of their games. David is a legit Top 5 OLB in the league. Pro Bowl be damned.

Advertisement
Back