Recruit that Miami didn't offer that makes you scratch your head?

But for real, Quincy Wilson.

He was a stud in college and it caused damage that lasted multiple recruiting cycles, **** I think we are still dealing with it honestly. It turned a Cane against the fanbase and the fanbase against a former cane. (F*ck them)

Advertisement
We whiffed on just about everyone from STA for about 6-7 years. I think Phillip Dorsett and then Anthony Moten broke the streak. Randy wanted nothing to do with any of their players.
But but but it’s one of our feeder schools

Antonio Bryant
Chad Ochocinco
Lavonte David
Louis Delmas
Antonio Brown
Rakeem Cato
Devonta Freeman
Kayvon Webster
Demetrice Morley
Xavier Rhodes
Lamar Jackson
Deandre Baker
Greg McCrae
Tutu Atwell
I thought we offered Rhodes and Morley... I'm not as sure on Rhodes because I seem to remember we recruited him at WR... Morley though I'm pretty sure had an offer and he chose UT

We whiffed on just about everyone from STA for about 6-7 years. I think Phillip Dorsett and then Anthony Moten broke the streak. Randy wanted nothing to do with any of their players.

We got Leonard Hankerson in 07. Then took like 3 players from their in 2010. We always got guys from there.

Advertisement
No we were early on Lamarcus was just a FSU fan. He even said he didn’t care about UM until he spoke to RS then he started to think about it but he was FSU fan. I think we were saying Janoris was short too. He would have killed it here. We missed out on Giovanni. He went UNC!? Jenkins and Bernard RS definitely dropped the ball.
Its been a long time but my recollection is Shannon was mixed on Joyner for his size, which was a Randy bugaboo around DBs. We did offer but the talk back then was we weren’t clear and early enough on him.

Jenkins too. We did offer, but Randy had other priorities. I recall Laus (RIP) going crazy on another board over how we were missing out on Jenkins.

But but but it’s one of our feeder schools
Not for a while it wasn't. The school that produced the most D1 players and NFL draft picks in the country was right here and Miami was getting one guy every three or four years from there. They're doing better now though.

Pretty sure we offered him last week before signing day but at that point his feelings were already hurt. We shoulda recruited him the entire time.
his feelings were not hurt. Oj Ross and chevin Davis all decided to shut it down and head to Purdue as a package deal. After he went on his official he told me he was sticking with them because he was gonna start right away.

Advertisement
Steve Lattimer. Was an undersized LB that made up for any physical deficiencies with an unparalleled desire for a place at the table. Was a giant Canes fan growing up.

couple this year actually...(some came they were offered)

LOCAL ONLY:

Poitier for sure

The ones we'll debate imo
Pough, Hanna, Parrish, Denis (did we pull back?), Heningham (bounced around a lot), Neal (may be a scheme thing), B.George (doesn't seem offer was committable?), Willis, K. Love, Gowdy, J. Williams (grades?)

Last edited:
But for real, Quincy Wilson.

He was a stud in college and it caused damage that lasted multiple recruiting cycles, **** I think we are still dealing with it honestly. It turned a Cane against the fanbase and the fanbase against a former cane. (F*ck them)

With all due respect, "it" didn't turn the fanbase against that family. Choad himself and only himself turned the fanbase against him and his kids.

I still can't get over the Lavonte David miss. We had 8 friggin commits from that Northwester team, and somehow fail to lock in the best of the bunch. I know he went Juco. But what happened to grey-shirting, or at least finding him a soft landing until he got his grades in order? Jacory, Washington, Ben Jones, Forston, Streeter, Spence, Aldarius Johnson, Kendall Thompkins. What a disappoinment, smh.

I thought we were all over Amari Cooper. Barrow was super tight with him. Golden offered him early, but the staff somehow messed it all up. He definitely wanted to be a Cane from what I understood. No insider and not close to the situation, but heard it from people who were.

Sorry, but Chad Wilson is a complete and total *******. It's one thing to be angry at a head coach or staff for not making your kid (who was an obvious talent) a top priority. I can relate to that. And Golden and Dorito were carpet-bagging tools. But it's another to then hold a grudge over the entire program and university to the point that you actively try to destroy their relationships with local high schools and recruits. **** him and his entire cadre of traitors.

In High School David wasnt better than Spence. He was a late bloomer. He was good but had no grades and what yall expected us to sign 11 from the school?.
The only reaches from MNW was Jones and Thompkins....

I think Chad's thing is more so with the "fans"...and it spread to him not really caring much for us also us sucking as well. I mean he sent both of his kids to UF so he is essentially a Gator dad now...and he like other s.fla guys buy into that..."Sec, sec" spill.
As much as an *** he may be...he likely has 2 of his sons drafted in the nfl. We should of absolutely offered Quincy. I mean they offered like 3 bum *** cbs over him....Ryan Mayes for 1 who would of told u Quincy was better than him...himself.

The crazy part is alot of posters are still around on this board now who were leading the "coaches know more than board members" brigade back then...when it was literally me and like 3 other guys harping on what would eventually occur after not gettin quincy

Last edited:
Advertisement
Its been a long time but my recollection is Shannon was mixed on Joyner for his size, which was a Randy bugaboo around DBs. We did offer but the talk back then was we weren’t clear and early enough on him.

Jenkins too. We did offer, but Randy had other priorities. I recall Laus (RIP) going crazy on another board over how we were missing out on Jenkins.

It didnt matter hopw early we were on Joyner..He literally was an FSU FAN. It was like saying FSU should of got in early on Duke Johnson

We offered Janorris but he wasnt a top priority...Which was obviously stupid as it was painfully obvious about 1min into his highlight tape he was a beast.

Ive known Skai Moore since he waslike 9 had we really recruited him...he woulda been a Cane.
We got in late like week b4 signing day and he was already locked in...his fam even moved up to SC.

Advertisement

Naw that wasn’t the case at all regarding Joyner. I even posted a video of him when he was at Southwest (before he transferred to STA) saying he didn’t care about Miami until RS was hired. Dude was a certified 5 star. You could have played him anywhere and he made plays. I still believe he was a better WR. Not even RS height requirements could have denied him. Naw Jenkins was a head scratcher though. All he did was ball. If we would have landed him, Peterson, B. Harris and Shields moved over to defense his sophomore year our defense would have been locked down.

It didnt matter hopw early we were on Joyner..He literally was an FSU FAN. It was like saying FSU should of got in early on Duke Johnson

We offered Janorris but he wasnt a top priority...Which was obviously stupid as it was painfully obvious about 1min into his highlight tape he was a beast.
Understood. I am not contending it would have mattered. The thread question what what recruitments made me scratch my head. Thought of him. We shoulda been on him earlier and harder is all.

Agree on Jenkins. He was one of those kids who the evaluators LOVED and the measurable folks weren't sure on (height, speed). The usual suspects said trust Shannon, we have better options, other priorities, etc. the folks who knew so fla hs fb were vocal he was going to be great.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back