Realistic season predictions and expectations. Warning: reasonable post

Undefeated in 2019 isn’t unrealistic... We were 1 game away from being undefeated in 2017 and lost the last one. Our schedule is trash to be quite honest and outside of UF we don’t play anyone who we shouldn’t beat decisively. Of course we have our annual meeting with FSPoo but we should even handle them this year after beating them last year in a comeback victory running only 5 plays. Undefeated is not unrealistic and not because we’re that good right now but our schedule is that weak tbh. Let me add I am referring to our regular season schedule

Advertisement
We should be favored in every game except against the turds. I think we beat the turds and drop one or two other games during the season. That should still be good enough for the coastal.

This game against florida is going to be really tough just the truth. We need to win that game its as critical a game as we have had recently. Front four has to get pressure and force franks into mistakes and the offense is gonna need to come through.

I've responded to your posts. I've said that 11-1 is unrealistic, you just keep yammering on about why you don't think it is. That's fine, you're entitled to that opinion.

But you're the guy who has used the term "abject failure" for anything that isn't 11-1. So, simple question: if the team finishes 10-3 (either 9-3 during the season with a bowl win, or 10-2 during the regular season with a bowl loss), do you fire Diaz?

Not a difficult concept. What's your answer?

Did FSU fire Taggart?

Stop playing games. What YOU are saying is if Manny loses games he should not you are ok with it. I am not.

Manny is not either based on his actions.

Advertisement
Did FSU fire Taggart?

Stop playing games. What YOU are saying is if Manny loses games he should not you are ok with it. I am not.

Manny is not either based on his actions.

What the **** does Taggart have to do with any of this?

It's a simple question, bud. Most coaches don't get to have an "abject failure" of a season without losing their job. Do you advocate this if Diaz doesn't go 11-1?

It's a simple question, bud. Most coaches don't get to have an "abject failure" of a season without losing their job. Do you advocate this if Diaz doesn't go 11-1?

If we finish with more than a single loss in the regular season I would say a revaluation of the staff is necessary. Are WRs still dropping balls? Is special teams still laying a ****? Etc. A coaches ability to self evaluate and adapt is far more important than the results of any single game or season.

Your question is a dumb one and has nothing to do with the statement that anything other than 11-1 is an abject failure. You have done nothing to refute that statement.

We should beat everyone on our schedule outside of UF which as far as I'm concerned is a toss up.

Saying it is a failure and saying the coach should be fired are two totally different things. You cannot argue my points so you're doing the usual message board circle jerk routine.

Since you mentioned reasonable...

Anything less than:

- 100 pts/gm by offense
- Less than 50yds allowed of total offense by D
- Undefeated season
- Manuela goes full WWE as he raises CFBPO trophy and smashes it down on the utterly defeated opposing HC

If all the above don't happen...complete a totally failed season.

FTB.

Advertisement
Well you're basing your opinion on your opinion and not relevant facts.

We I can say is our new offensive staff cannot possibly be worse than 104th in offense. If it is Diaz is out of here in 2 years.

My opinion is not based on my opinion. My opinion was developed through research and independently of any bias I have. If anything my bias would have me shouting 11-1 like I do almost every year.

Anything less than:

- 100 pts/gm by offense
- Undefeated season
- Manuela goes full WWE as he raises CFBPO trophy and smashes it down on the utterly defeated opposing HC

FTB.
the only thing I really object to is the use of the "o" in cfbpo trophy.

Anything less than:

- 100 pts/gm by offense
- Undefeated season

FTB.

Makes sense to me

My objective prediction-

Games we will be comfortable favorites: (4-0)
vs. Bethune Cookman
vs. Central Michigan
vs. Louisville
at. FIU

Games we will be favorites: (4-1)
at North Carolina
vs. Virginia Tech
vs Virginia
vs. Georgia Tech
at Duke

Coin flips: (1-1)
at Pitt
at Florida State (paper favorites, wouldn't anticipate a loss, but road game and rivalry makes for coin flips)

Games we will be dogs: (0-1)
vs. Florida

Preface the prediction by saying I think we are paper favorites vs everyone except Florida. But I also don't think we are ready to win every game that we should, so-

Going to predict a finish of the regular season at 9-3, disappointed because we will have lost two games we should have won. We will win a bowl game because we will be favorably matched as the third slot ACC team that is probably more talented on paper than the the record ended up being.

We will have a ton of hype going into 2020 season with a returning starter at QB, and the strong 2018 recruiting class coming together with a good amount of experience and ready to step into major roles. 2020 pre season top 10 ranking after a 10-3 2019.

What Kendall boy said. You got it precisely. Now I know being realistic with expectations is frowned upon in this establishment, but I will proceed. The UF game won’t be a cake walk. People have been talking about it like isn’t an automatic win but if you strip the emotions away, you’ll see it’s anything but. Dan Mullens is a **** good coach. Anywhere he’s been, he’s proved it. He turned trash *** Felipe Franks into a very serviceable QB. Sure he plays to his strengths but that’s what good coaches do. UF isn’t short on talent in general. Next, I got cruxcified for saying I liked Blackmon better then Tate a couple months ago. I was just being honest. Blackmon is a good QB and now that he has one of the better OC to work with behind him, he’s going to get better. His freshman year, the FSU RB looked like he could be another Dalvin. Last year due to the OL and play calling, he regressed. With better coaching he should have a good year. Won’t be a cake game. What I’m saying is this, it looks like we FINALLY are on the road to being “back” but it’s going to take time. It took Dabo 10 years to build Clemson to what it is now. We aren’t starting with the cupboard bare but before we get ahead of ourselves we need to crawl first. We need to be able to WASH the ACC regular season on a consistent basis first. By half time teams like UVA, Duke, Pitt and UNC need to be done. We’ve had to have strong second half to beat those teams in the past. In my opinion we should be looking at this on a tragectory arch from year one on. How much better are we getting from year to year? Will the same problems we have from OL recruitment and play to elite 2nd team rotations, dwindle from year to year with not only recruiting but actual coach and development. Once we plug those holes on a consistent basis to the point they aren’t issues anymore in addition to good QB play annually, then I think we can rev the hype machine up. I’m not looking for a 12-0 season. Sure it would be nice and I’d drop down to my knees and thank the football Gods but I’m more interested in seeing if we finally have the foundational building blocks to create an elite program again. I think we’re on the right track, but time will tell. I’m looking at what our possible tragectory will be for future season starting with this one.

Advertisement
9 or 10 wins. If we suffer any substantial injuries at o line, corner, or linebacker we could be in trouble, but I think we're too talented to not win at least 9 games with a soft schedule. I think Enos will be legit and having a capable offense will keep the defense fresher, although the D may take a small step back. UF, FSU are gonna be dog fights. I'm sure we'll have a couple ACC close calls, probably Uva and Va Tech, but everyone else we should beat by a TD or more.

What Kendall boy said. You got it precisely. Now I know being realistic with expectations is frowned upon in this establishment, but I will proceed. The UF game won’t be a cake walk. People have been talking about it like isn’t an automatic win but if you strip the emotions away, you’ll see it’s anything but. Dan Mullens is a **** good coach. Anywhere he’s been, he’s proved it. He turned trash *** Felipe Franks into a very serviceable QB. Sure he plays to his strengths but that’s what good coaches do. UF isn’t short on talent in general. Next, I got cruxcified for saying I liked Blackmon better then Tate a couple months ago. I was just being honest. Blackmon is a good QB and now that he has one of the better OC to work with behind him, he’s going to get better. His freshman year, the FSU RB looked like he could be another Dalvin. Last year due to the OL and play calling, he regressed. With better coaching he should have a good year. Won’t be a cake game. What I’m saying is this, it looks like we FINALLY are on the road to being “back” but it’s going to take time. It took Dabo 10 years to build Clemson to what it is now. We aren’t starting with the cupboard bare but before we get ahead of ourselves we need to crawl first. We need to be able to WASH the ACC regular season on a consistent basis first. By half time teams like UVA, Duke, Pitt and UNC need to be done. We’ve had to have strong second half to beat those teams in the past. In my opinion we should be looking at this on a tragectory arch from year one on. How much better are we getting from year to year? Will the same problems we have from OL recruitment and play to elite 2nd team rotations, dwindle from year to year with not only recruiting but actual coach and development. Once we plug those holes on a consistent basis to the point they aren’t issues anymore in addition to good QB play annually, then I think we can rev the hype machine up. I’m not looking for a 12-0 season. Sure it would be nice and I’d drop down to my knees and thank the football Gods but I’m more interested in seeing if we finally have the foundational building blocks to create an elite program again. I think we’re on the right track, but time will tell. I’m looking at what our possible tragectory will be for future season starting with this one.

Hi my name is Paragraph. Nice to meet you.

Advertisement
Your question is a dumb one and has nothing to do with the statement that anything other than 11-1 is an abject failure. You have done nothing to refute that statement.

I'm not sure what post you're saying I'm not responding to. We've been at this for a few days. ANSWER THE QUESTION.

We should beat everyone on our schedule outside of UF which as far as I'm concerned is a toss up.

We've discussed this. "Should" and "will" are not the same. We "should" have beaten BC, UVA, Duke, Georgia Tech and Wisconsin last year. We didn't. Blame it on the offense all you want, but consider the following:
  • In the UVA game, the Cavaliers only had 235 yards of total offense (to our 340) and still won.
  • At BC, the "vaunted" defense you claim will carry us to 11 wins next year gave up 450 yards, including 220 on the ground. Blame the weather if you want, but we've got two such games this year -- Pitt and Duke -- and those are games we tend to struggle in (which I've already told you but you seem to want to ignore).
  • The "horrible" offense had 410 yards of total offense to Duke's 290. If our offense was so egregiously bad, why were teams who we outproduced offensively nevertheless beating us?
  • Georgia Tech was a dumpster fire. Nothing to excuse that game.
The problem does not lie solely with the offense, as you seem to think it does. In three out of four of our worst regular season losses last year, the offense was by no way, shape or form the problem. So your theory that simply improving the offense will magically add four wins to our schedule is misguided.

Also, I love the Enos hire, but let's not automatically assume he's going to bring us into the Top 20. Will we improve? Absolutely. But an improvement to say, 60th overall in team offense, still isn't bringing us to the 11-win threshold. If Enos gets us into the Top 40, your prediction starts looking more realistic based on the schedule (see below), but how realistic is it to expect that?

I see weaknesses on the offensive line that I'm not sure were addressed from last year. We've seen what a bad OL can do to a team (see: FSU, 2018). And I'm still not sold on QB play yet. These aren't "looking for trouble" questions I have; there's a reason most posters on this board are concerned in those two areas.

As for our schedule, here's how I view it:

Easy Wins:
Bethune Cookman
Central Michigan
FIU

Should Win:
UNC
VT
Pitt
Duke
Louisville
GT

Toss Ups
FSU
UVA

Other Team Will be Favored
Florida

You think we'll take every game in the "toss ups" and "should win" category; that's cool. I look at a team that has lost games from both those categories in the past 2 seasons, and then look to the OL and QB play, and can't help but think that we may drop one or two of those games. In your eyes, I guess that makes me a "fake fan" who "wants to see Miami stay down" (LOL), but from where I'm sitting, I just view it as a realistic expectation.

And there's the rub. If we drop the UF game, one of the toss ups, and drop one of our road games against the next tier, I won't call that an abject failure. You will. You're entitled to that, but I think you're wrong, and I think it's crazy to be that unrealistic on a NEW staff, trying to install a NEW offense, and attempting to reboot a NEW culture that's been missing from the program for the past two decades.

Does this meet your approval? Will you answer the question now, or are you going to give us another reason not to do so?

Just having a decent punter who can kick the ball so the opposing offense has to drive 65+ yards at least 3-4 times a game will be a big help.
Our D having to defend their half of the field for half the game was good for at least 2 losses.
If we can avoid injuries to the OL then a minimum of 9 wins is realistic.

I'm not sure what post you're saying I'm not responding to. We've been at this for a few days. ANSWER THE QUESTION.

We've discussed this. "Should" and "will" are not the same. We "should" have beaten BC, UVA, Duke, Georgia Tech and Wisconsin last year. We didn't. Blame it on the offense all you want, but consider the following:
  • In the UVA game, the Cavaliers only had 235 yards of total offense (to our 340) and still won.
  • At BC, the "vaunted" defense you claim will carry us to 11 wins next year gave up 450 yards, including 220 on the ground. Blame the weather if you want, but we've got two such games this year -- Pitt and Duke -- and those are games we tend to struggle in (which I've already told you but you seem to want to ignore).
  • The "horrible" offense had 410 yards of total offense to Duke's 290. If our offense was so egregiously bad, why were teams who we outproduced offensively nevertheless beating us?
  • Georgia Tech was a dumpster fire. Nothing to excuse that game.
The problem does not lie solely with the offense, as you seem to think it does. In three out of four of our worst regular season losses last year, the offense was by no way, shape or form the problem. So your theory that simply improving the offense will magically add four wins to our schedule is misguided.

Also, I love the Enos hire, but let's not automatically assume he's going to bring us into the Top 20. Will we improve? Absolutely. But an improvement to say, 60th overall in team offense, still isn't bringing us to the 11-win threshold. If Enos gets us into the Top 40, your prediction starts looking more realistic based on the schedule (see below), but how realistic is it to expect that?

I see weaknesses on the offensive line that I'm not sure were addressed from last year. We've seen what a bad OL can do to a team (see: FSU, 2018). And I'm still not sold on QB play yet. These aren't "looking for trouble" questions I have; there's a reason most posters on this board are concerned in those two areas.

As for our schedule, here's how I view it:

Easy Wins:
Bethune Cookman
Central Michigan
FIU

Should Win:
UNC
VT
Pitt
Duke
Louisville
GT

Toss Ups
FSU
UVA

Other Team Will be Favored
Florida

You think we'll take every game in the "toss ups" and "should win" category; that's cool. I look at a team that has lost games from both those categories in the past 2 seasons, and then look to the OL and QB play, and can't help but think that we may drop one or two of those games. In your eyes, I guess that makes me a "fake fan" who "wants to see Miami stay down" (LOL), but from where I'm sitting, I just view it as a realistic expectation.

And there's the rub. If we drop the UF game, one of the toss ups, and drop one of our road games against the next tier, I won't call that an abject failure. You will. You're entitled to that, but I think you're wrong, and I think it's crazy to be that unrealistic on a NEW staff, trying to install a NEW offense, and attempting to reboot a NEW culture that's been missing from the program for the past two decades.

Does this meet your approval? Will you answer the question now, or are you going to give us another reason not to do so?

I already answered your question but apparently sarcasm goes over your head.

LOL @ UVA being a toss up. UVA he 92 passing yards.

92 passing yards.

Passing

Yards

Get your trash list out of this thread.

You keep posting "horrible" offense as if this is not the case. Our offense was not horrible last year? You are not even being subjective at this point. Enjoy the heel digging. I'm very thankful our head coach does not have your opinion. Accountability is a beautiful thing.

Per Katzenboyer the 60th ranked offense wouldnt bring us to the 11 win threshold.

Interesting

The 76th ranked scoring offense last year had 28 points a game.

28 points a game would have put us at the 11 win threshold in 2018. Now before you get all riled up and see Miami with 28.8 points a game any RATIONAL PERSON would remove the Savannah State game which puts us at 23.5 points a game.

middle-tenn.svg
Middle Tenn.

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/27/p2

Katz stop posting pal

You want to make excuses for mediocrity that is fine. Society always needs someone to fill that quota.

Advertisement
Back