Realistic season predictions and expectations. Warning: reasonable post

305_separatist

Threskiornithidae
Premium
Getting sick of all the spring microscope posts around here. It will sort itself out. So let's jump to the fall and my simple, and I think level headed, take on Manny's upcoming first season.

In any competitive sport, you lose *far* more often than you're beaten. What I mean by that is by just focusing on not making stupid mistakes instead of trying to get clever and outsmart your opponent, you'll go a long way. Most of your opponents will defeat themselves.

When we look at the CFB landscape, we can observe the following: To compete for championships you need a top 5 offense and defense. But if you have at least one side of the ball highly ranked, *as long as the other side is at least average*, you can beat most teams.

A great example of this is UM in 2017. Great defense, but very meh offense. Still, it did enough to almost lock up an undefeated reg season b4 that disgusting last game.

Jump forward a year, defense takes yet another step forward. Offense takes two steps back, can no longer ever pass as average. Catastrophy.

Assuming our D continues to dominate, if Enos can mask our defecencies enough to put together an average offense, I don't see an undefeated reg season as being at all unrealistic. Maybe something goes the other way and we lose 1. That's about all I'd be willing to accept.

Beating the big teams, in our case Clemson always waiting at the ACC, is when all cylinders need to be firing if you want even a chance to win. There can be no carrying in that game. That's a different order altogether, and I can't fault a new HC and new OC still picking up the pieces on that side for not getting there in the first year, especially with all the concern around the O line and lack of depth that will be exposed very quickly by any substantial injuries.

Advertisement
Advertisement
+
New Focus
Better coaching
Higher energy
New offense
Good backs and reciving corps
Defense should be sound if they avoid injuries
Fairly easy schedule

-
Start against an SEC Team and a D on par with LSUs
New QB
Inserting new system
Still looking for a punter who can, when you need him to
Still looking for improvement in O-line, little depth
Not a lot of proven elite players

Today I'd set 8 as the over under; That will definitley move as we see more. But like the Kool Aid guy said; we beat the Gators, we should roll with momentum. You know, if we beat LSU last year, it would have been a very different season.

we have the talent to be 12-0 at best. 9-3 at worst. IMO

With a first year head coach and with the problems with the OL, my prediction is 10-2.

possible losses: UF, FSU, UVA, Pitt
Think we handle Pitt and Virginia. FSU is obviously always a dogfight no matter how bad they are. I could see Florida, FSU, and maybe Ga Tech as tough ones.

August 24th is all that matters.

The rest of our schedule is utter trash.

The goal every year is to win the Coastal and to get a crack at the ACC Championship. In 15 tries the Canes have only won the division once and have never earned an ACC title. While beating Florida would be a great start to the season, a win against an out-of-conference opponent and hated rival really means nothing in the grand scheme of what college football has become.

Bragging rites and recruiting—at day's end, no one will remember a late August game the way they will a December conference title game and a shot at Clemson. Win or lose, UM needs to win the division and play that first Saturday in December—with a solid season in the rearview year one under Diaz.

Reaching the ACC title game will hold more credibility with recruits (re: the state of the program and its future) than beating the Gator in August.

Advertisement
Think we handle Pitt and Virginia. FSU is obviously always a dogfight no matter how bad they are. I could see Florida, FSU, and maybe Ga Tech as tough ones.

Agreed, those were my same trap games for the season. I think we go 11-2, with loses to one of those 3, and Clemson in the ACCCG.

Advertisement
My objective prediction-

Games we will be comfortable favorites: (4-0)
vs. Bethune Cookman
vs. Central Michigan
vs. Louisville
at. FIU

Games we will be favorites: (4-1)
at North Carolina
vs. Virginia Tech
vs Virginia
vs. Georgia Tech
at Duke

Coin flips: (1-1)
at Pitt
at Florida State (paper favorites, wouldn't anticipate a loss, but road game and rivalry makes for coin flips)

Games we will be dogs: (0-1)
vs. Florida

Preface the prediction by saying I think we are paper favorites vs everyone except Florida. But I also don't think we are ready to win every game that we should, so-

Going to predict a finish of the regular season at 9-3, disappointed because we will have lost two games we should have won. We will win a bowl game because we will be favorably matched as the third slot ACC team that is probably more talented on paper than the the record ended up being.

We will have a ton of hype going into 2020 season with a returning starter at QB, and the strong 2018 recruiting class coming together with a good amount of experience and ready to step into major roles. 2020 pre season top 10 ranking after a 10-3 2019.

My objective prediction-

vs. Bethune Cookman
vs. Central Michigan
vs. Louisville
at. FIU

at North Carolina
vs. Virginia Tech
vs Virginia
vs. Georgia Tech
at Duke

at Pitt
at Florida State (paper favorites, wouldn't anticipate a loss, but road game and rivalry makes for coin flips)

vs. Florida

Preface the prediction by saying I think we are paper favorites vs everyone except Florida. But I also don't think we are ready to win every game that we should, so-

Going to predict a finish of the regular season at 9-3, disappointed because we will have lost two games we should have won. We will win a bowl game because we will be favorably matched as the third slot ACC team that is probably more talented on paper than the the record ended up being.

We will have a ton of hype going into 2020 season with a returning starter at QB, and the strong 2018 recruiting class coming together with a good amount of experience and ready to step into major roles. 2020 pre season top 10 ranking after a 10-3 2019.

Nailed it. I'd put us at 10-2 as an optimist since I think we beat the breaks off Pitt. Florida and Florida State will be dog fights as usual.

Advertisement
I dont think you get how hard it is to go undefeated OP. And we dont really have top-5 or even top-10 talent. More than everyone but UF/FSU but still in the 15-20 range.

I think we'll be well-coached and get good QB play, but our depth is very thin at a lot of positions, so injuries will really hurt us.

I think we should go 10-2, but I'd set the realistic over/under at 9.5

My objective prediction-

vs. Bethune Cookman
vs. Central Michigan
vs. Louisville
at. FIU

at North Carolina
vs. Virginia Tech
vs Virginia
vs. Georgia Tech
at Duke

at Pitt

vs. Florida

LMFAO

Coin flip with Pitt

GTFOH

Advertisement
Back