Realistic Options

Kiffin and Mario were the guys we should have went after when Diaz was hired, stakes much higher now, Ole Miss and Oregon and going to throw more cash at them, we know cheap **** Miami ain't getting into a bidding war and paying Diaz's buyout. Unless those guys just absolutely hate the area/school, Herman, a G5 coach, a fired coach, keeping Diaz, are more realistic.
Don't think we'll hire Lane but for discussion purposes but I could see an incentive "out-the-wazoo" laden contract for him.
Basically, we as the fans will be footing the bill in tix sales and shwag when we start rolling with the Lane Train.

Last edited:
Advertisement
What’s the hold up?

Mario or Lane would be huge and we’re here ****ing around
Mario will in all probability win the PAC-12 Championship and get into the playoffs as the 3 seed. He’s not coming here. Oregon is making a huge investment in the Program’s future.

Georgia will expose them, but it won’t be for lack of trying on the part of the Ducks. Cristobal is trying to turn Oregon into an SEC team to dominate the conference even after USC comes back.

Just got back to my room from Doak and had some time to think during the drive. Who are some realistic replacements?

Mario ain’t leaving a likely playoff team.
Kiffin ain’t leaving the SEC.
Fickell probably going to the Big Ten.
Miami won’t touch Leach.

Who is a realistic option? Unless we find a hidden gem, this program appears to be headed for several more years of purgatory. I’m not hopeful at all.
The hidden gem may be at the AD position. Getting a quality AD is paramount. Maybe we should look at Dan White’s brother, Brian. He’s the AD at FAU.Would be a good connection to Kiffen if that’s who we want. Maybe ask Zo to be Director of FB operations, also. Just sayin’

Advertisement
I don’t really care about who gets the AD job, but I’m just sayin this logic is what was used to make the case for Lynn Swann at SC, Trev Alberts at Nebraska, etc and it seems like these moves almost never work.
No it’s not. Highsmith has actually worked in the NFL in management. That experience is light years ahead of where we are, even if he worked for a ****** NFL team, there’s plenty learned there. And I didn’t say AD - I said involved - like in a football GM sense or as a consultant.

No it’s not. Highsmith has actually worked in the NFL in management. That experience is light years ahead of where we are, even if he worked for a ****** NFL team, there’s plenty learned there. And I didn’t say AD - I said involved - like in a football GM sense or as a consultant.
It’s close. I think we need to step back and ask ourselves - if X Y or Z was not a former Miami player would we want that person for the position being discussed.

Goes for Mario, Gino, Zo, etc

I’m good with some of it, but I also think we need to be honest about the warts - like I am willing to trade his being an in game corch for financial resources and recruiting for a guy like Mario. Not necessarily over Lane and especially not because former players want him unless it comes with the aforementioned financial commitments…

Just stop. Both Mario and Kiffin would leave.
Lane would leave. The only issue is how long would he stay in Miami? In the last 15 years he had been:

HC of the Raiders (terminated, but not unexpected given NFL coaching tenures)

HC of Tennessee for one year (left for USC)
HC of USC (terminated)
On staff as Alabama, ultimately OC
HC at FAU (leaves for Ole Miss)
HC at Ole Miss

Does he want to stay at Miami for more than a year or two? Does he want to go back to the NFL? Is he trying to build up his resume to take a prime job like Ohio State or Alabama if they were to open up? Those are my concerns with him.

We’re just not that type of program. The top programs have a competent AD in place of which most are just boring hires.

Why can’t we just do that? Why do we have to make up some role that doesn’t exist and operate a college program as if it were an NFL org? Hire him as director of player personnel if you want. Or chief of staff. Just don’t make him AD or some made up position of football GM.

Advertisement
I don’t really care about who gets the AD job, but I’m just sayin this logic is what was used to make the case for Lynn Swann at SC, Trev Alberts at Nebraska, etc and it seems like these moves almost never work.
Swann was a HOF player but had no experience working a football organization, college or professional. He was an incestuous hire by USC, and a failed one.

Alberts was AD for a Nebraska satellite campus before moving up to NU. For all the criticism of hiring Frost, the program has improved but needs to get over the hump. Their losses this season were all close games, three of them to Top 10 teams (Ohio State, Michigan State in OT, and Michigan ). It remains to be seen if they can continue to build. The program needed a complete rebuild.

Highsmith has a decade-plus of NFL executive experience. College, only as a player, but that’s okay.

Everyone has failed here too! Matter fact, more coaches have failed here than there lol. If you cannot win there you cannot win here, simple as that. It’s easier to win there honestly. It’s easier because they have the most money in CFB, the easiest recruiting grounds. Kids are bread to be Texas fans in that state and down here there ain’t no loyalty. Last 5 years they have been going elsewhere cause Herman could not win or recruit. I don’t care if their team with their current bum coach lost to sisters of the blind today, that does not make him a good coach for going 7-3 there! We not trying to only win 71 percent of our games here!
Texas has nothing to do with miami. And we are trying to win 71% of the games and that would be a major upgrade. He is also undefeated in bowl games. The guy is a good coach

Advertisement
Lane would leave. The only issue is how long would he stay in Miami? In the last 15 years he had been:

HC of the Raiders (terminated, but not unexpected given NFL coaching tenures)

HC of Tennessee for one year (left for USC)
HC of USC (terminated)
On staff as Alabama, ultimately OC
HC at FAU (leaves for Ole Miss)
HC at Ole Miss

Does he want to stay at Miami for more than a year or two? Does he want to go back to the NFL? Is he trying to build up his resume to take a prime job like Ohio State or Alabama if they were to open up? Those are my concerns with him.
What’s the concern? He left tennessee for a job and a program that he was very familiar with. He left bama to be a hc again. He left fau to take a bigger job and more money. I do think he would stay at miami a while

We’re just not that type of program. The top programs have a competent AD in place of which most are just boring hires.

Why can’t we just do that? Why do we have to make up some role that doesn’t exist and operate a college program as if it were an NFL org? Hire him as director of player personnel if you want. Or chief of staff. Just don’t make him AD or some made up position of football GM.
Player personnel and GM would be the same role here I would assume. I think there’s another school with this type of set up.

Advertisement
Player personnel and GM would be the same role here I would assume. I think there’s another school with this type of set up.
Just about ever program has player personnel staff that manages recruiting. We have Andy Vaughn in that role. The role reports into the HC.

I don’t know of any program that has a football specific GM that runs the football program like an NFL GM would (hires the HC, manages scouting, etc). I also don’t know of a football program that operates outside of the normal scope of athletics within a university. Maybe one exists but I don’t think any of the major programs do anything like this.

Just about ever program has player personnel staff that manages recruiting. We have Andy Vaughn in that role. The role reports into the HC.

I don’t know of any program that has a football specific GM that runs the football program like an NFL GM would (hires the HC, manages scouting, etc). I also don’t know of a football program that operates outside of the normal scope of athletics within a university. Maybe one exists but I don’t think any of the major programs do anything like this.
If we’re getting a home run type of AD then I guess we don’t have to worry about it then.

Are we getting one of those types of AD’s?

Off that list I'll take Herman
It honestly makes the most sense really if they aren't going after someone like Lane or Mario who's probably under a fairly large buyout. No way cheap *** Miami pays a huge buyout for a coach that's barely into his contact, coming off a hot season. Miami ain't ponying up for that, we can barely get them to fund a decent support staff, no way they are paying a large buyout and Manny's, even if it's not that big.

Advertisement
Back