Realistic Options

And Kiffin wasn't good at ....., and Leach has never won more than .......

We're not getting a guy with a P5 history of regular 11 win seasons.
That's why it's Mario by a mile.

But looking at Herman's time at Texas leads me to believe he's more of the same. There's a difference between doing more with less like Kiffin is doing right now at Ole Miss than less with more, which is what Tom Herman's Texas teams did. The difference in talent between Texas and everyone but OU in the Big XII is laughable and he consistently lost 3+ games a season and was tied for 26th in sending players to the pros.

Advertisement
USC is always the right coach away from being a playoff program. They’ll dominate the PAC and have no recruiting challengers near them when they’re run right. They have money and legacy.

This is the thing.

All the blue bloods are the RIGHT coach away.

Teams like us, Tennesse, Texas, USC etc ***** it up, but the fact doesn’t change.

There is still a lot of politics in coach selection. The good ole boy network is strong. Too many schools select based onhow much they like or can relate too a guy, as opposed to who is most qualified to build a program and win games.

Cristobal is actually a very real and likely choice. People are discounting how much his wife and family want to be back in Miami. This has also always been his dream job. He’s interviewed for the job twice, and was ready to interview in 2018 before Blake ruined the program for another few years. He’s one of the top recruiters in the country and would be in a recruiting hotbed too.

Are things good for him at Oregon? Yes. Does he have things rolling over there? Yes. Do he and his family want to stay there for the next five years? Absolutely not. With Blake gone and admin support he’ll come back here. There’s never been a better time for him to get the job than now. He’s in the drivers seat and knows it. If you see Blake get canned and Alonzo come into a role in the coming weeks, that’s a huge indication that he’s on the path to coming here.
He is....

Advertisement
Cristobal is actually a very real and likely choice. People are discounting how much his wife and family want to be back in Miami. This has also always been his dream job. He’s interviewed for the job twice, and was ready to interview in 2018 before Blake ruined the program for another few years. He’s one of the top recruiters in the country and would be in a recruiting hotbed too.

Are things good for him at Oregon? Yes. Does he have things rolling over there? Yes. Do he and his family want to stay there for the next five years? Absolutely not. With Blake gone and admin support he’ll come back here. There’s never been a better time for him to get the job than now. He’s in the drivers seat and knows it. If you see Blake get canned and Alonzo come into a role in the coming weeks, that’s a huge indication that he’s on the path to coming here.
I hope you are right with that because I have a feeling that if Mario says no we would be completely f*cked.

Just got back to my room from Doak and had some time to think during the drive. Who are some realistic replacements?

Mario ain’t leaving a likely playoff team.
Kiffin ain’t leaving the SEC.
Fickell probably going to the Big Ten.
Miami won’t touch Leach.

Who is a realistic option? Unless we find a hidden gem, this program appears to be headed for several more years of purgatory. I’m not hopeful at all.
The Guy from Baylor Aranda is doing big things

Ole Miss is not a championship level program in the SEC.

If Lane wants to win a NC he’ll come to Miami.

If he is satisfied with a ceiling of finishing third in the SEC West every year then he’ll stay at Ole Miss.
He knows QB's like the one he has now don't grow on trees.

Advertisement
In your haste to be your usually contrarian self, I said “when they’re run right.”

They’re not in the same boat as Miami either, given location, money and recruiting competition. A lot of those kids really would prefer to stay in Cali and their network can pay plenty.
those top kids haven’t been staying home in Cali for a while now. It’s why USC has been down. USC had been so enamored with finding a “USC guy” and that’s failed. A kid like Bryce young stays out west 15-20 years ago and probably goes to USC. Kids are more willing to leave and go away to schools more than ever before to go play in the premier conferences (SEC) or teams they perceive as better…I don’t see how that’s being a contrarian when the facts are the facts. If your going off prestige and history USC should be a top job..if it’s undergrad and alumni base your right USC has the resources..but you know what fanbase could also say that? Miami, Nebraska, Texas and other blue bloods..the fact is these kids don’t care that much about the traditional schools in their states..it’s about what’s the best move ..and sadly the SEC is without a doubt the creme of the crop…and if a program isn’t focused on talent acquisition no matter who the coach is your gunna be mediocre

I don't think this ends up where you guys want it to. Not among the biggest names at least.

Mario - The best shot at a big name because of the "dream job" angle and his hometown but he wants for nothing at Oregon and has that train rolling. Seems like a lot to give up and a lot of risk.

Lane - My sense is he's gunning for a bigger SEC gig or back to the NFL.

Fickell - In what world does he not end up in the BigX? I'm not sure he'd be a culture fit here either. But we'd play some defense.

Stoops - I could see him being interested, but he's riding high overachieving at a zero pressure gig. He wants to trade that for infinite pressure for lateral pay?

There are a few other names whi might be interested but ultimately I think we go the Golden route again. An up and coming lower P5 or G5 type. It could work with the right guy. But it's a risk. I think we're finally done with the lazy hires though. I don't think they'd just promote Lashlee.

those top kids haven’t been staying home in Cali for a while now. It’s why USC has been down. USC had been so enamored with finding a “USC guy” and that’s failed. A kid like Bryce young stays out west 15-20 years ago and probably goes to USC. Kids are more willing to leave and go away to schools more than ever before to go play in the premier conferences (SEC) or teams they perceive as better…I don’t see how that’s being a contrarian when the facts are the facts. If your going off prestige and history USC should be a top job..if it’s undergrad and alumni base your right USC has the resources..but you know what fanbase could also say that? Miami, Nebraska, Texas and other blue bloods..the fact is these kids don’t care that much about the traditional schools in their states..it’s about what’s the best move ..and sadly the SEC is without a doubt the creme of the crop…and if a program isn’t focused on talent acquisition no matter who the coach is your gunna be mediocre
Stop arguing and just agree with someone - preferably me - without au contrare mon frere or caveating anything. We’ll all be happier.

Advertisement
This guy wont come, that guy wont come. Alot of yall have conflated Miami being cheap and unimaginative to coaches desire. We never go in and show serious coaches we about it. We go for the cheapest bar Mark Richt. If we change that then u can tell me about desirability.

Advertisement
Back