Realistic coaching candidates

Advertisement
Mike Woodson to IU? IMO, that's a worse hire than Archie Miller was at the time.

Not really.
He is a former IU player and he has NBA experience. He just needs good recruiters as his assistant.
Plus at IU, as long as your team is full of Indiana kids and he makes the NCAA tournament in four years, he will be fine.
I know, he doesn't win the press conference but he will win games.

Not really.
He is a former IU player and he has NBA experience. He just needs good recruiters as his assistant.
Plus at IU, as long as your team is full of Indiana kids and he makes the NCAA tournament in four years, he will be fine.
I know, he doesn't win the press conference but he will win games.
Juwan is the rarity. And, as you say, has great asstants, Martelli especially. We'll revisit in a few years but if I were an IU fan, I'd be very underwhelmed.

Juwan is the rarity. And, as you say, has great asstants, Martelli especially. We'll revisit in a few years but if I were an IU fan, I'd be very underwhelmed.

Don't sleep on Howard Eisley. He is important also but I agree with Phil.
Mike definitely needs to add a former college coach to his staff.

Advertisement

Scratch him off the list.

However, Larry Krystkowiak would be a good assistant coach candidate for the next head coach.
Player development, particularly the bigs should be a major area of improvement.

Advertisement
Absolutely. He played at Texas and he is an assistant coach for the Nets. All he has to do is hire a former college coach or two as his assistant coaches.
It worked for Juwan Howard.

It is that simple. That simple.

1. Zero HC experience,
2. Zero college experience (i.e. recruiting), and
3. As for NBA experience:

- Worked under David Fizdale, fired HC.
- Worked under Nash for almost 6 months. Nash is a first time HC.
- Worked under Billy D, for 2 seasons.

Not exactly tremendous NBA experience. In fact, he isn't one of the best assistant coaches in the NBA.

---------------

Hiring Ivey, makes no sense for Texas. I don't see how this is a "smart decision".

It is that simple. That simple.

1. Zero HC experience,
2. Zero college experience (i.e. recruiting), and
3. As for NBA experience:

- Worked under David Fizdale, fired HC.
- Worked under Nash for almost 6 months. Nash is a first time HC.
- Worked under Billy D, for 2 seasons.

Not exactly tremendous NBA experience. In fact, he isn't one of the best assistant coaches in the NBA.

---------------

Hiring Ivey, makes no sense for Texas. I don't see how this is a "smart decision".

In fairness, you don't have to today. They obviously feel comfortable about him enough to interview him.
For the record, I have also seen more experienced guys fail.
It is more about recruiting and relationships now.

Texas boosters want Pearl or Musselman and have the checkbook to attract them. Whether either of them would be interested is another matter.

Advertisement
In fairness, you don't have to today. They obviously feel comfortable about him enough to interview him.
For the record, I have also seen more experienced guys fail.
It is more about recruiting and relationships now.

And he has never recruited before. Do you even read your posts before you click post?

Advertisement
And he has never recruited before. Do you even read your posts before you click post?

The guy played in the NBA and that is where kids want to go.
Any former NBA player is still better than any aged coach who can barely dribble a basketball.
That is now the trend in college basketball.
Players aren't going to play for outdated coaches who cannot relate nor talk to them in their language.

Let’s tap into the South Florida
Any former NBA player is still better than any aged coach who can barely dribble a basketball.
Players aren't going to play for outdated coaches who cannot relate nor talk to them in their language.
Then perhaps we see if Udonis Haslem, Alonzo Mourning, or Dwayne Wade might be interested in coaching.

We've hit a new low for illogical and irrational bullchit.

I wonder what the following coaches are going to do:

Group #1 (Coaches 60+ Years Old)

1. Coach K (70+)
2. Roy Williams (70+)
3. John Calipari
4. Jim Boeheim (70+)
5. Dana Altman
6. Leonard Hamilton (70+)
7. Tom Izzo
8. Bob Huggins
9. Kelvin Sampson
10. Rick Pitino
11. Bruce Pearl

-----------------

Group #2 (Coaches 50 - 59)

1. Mark Few
2. Tony B
3. Jay Wright (turns 60 this year)
4. Scott Drew
5. Eric Musselman
6. Chris Mack
7. Matt Painter

-----------------

Group #3 (Coaches 40+)

1. Chris Beard
2. Mick Cronin

Above are pretty much the best coaches in the game. Even though they've dominated college basketball for a long time, they're now screwed because they "cannot relate nor talk to them in their language." How many of these coaches above had significant NBA playing careers in the last 10 years like Royal Ivey.

Never forget..."Any former NBA player is still better than any aged coach who can barely dribble a basketball."

I hope these coaches can do more than "barely dribble a basketball".

Advertisement
Back