Realistic coaching candidates

Everything you said here can just as well be said for Coach L, except for the last paragraph about still being young. Coach L and staff have alienated a lot of the local prep coaches and it shows with their in-state recruiting struggles. Also, has had his fair share of bad luck last few seasons and I know it's not the popular thing to say but I still don't think he's a bad coach. Just has a terrible staff.

Caputo has a solid chance of getting this job, but I think it's Kim English's to lose. It's eye opening to see how popular those 2 guys are up in that part of the country. And it doesn't hurt that Caputo has some supporters in high places at George Mason.

No way English calls anyone from Miami to join his staff.
Let's hope he calls them to be his assistants.
Rats jumping off a sinking ship. Leaving a five alarm fire to a dumpster fire.

The entire staff knows they're all lame ducks. They're starting to realize it's not a matter of time, but just a matter of when. I understand Corch L is leaving a lot money on the table if he were to just retire, but he needs to do the right thing for the University and negotiate his exit. It's time. Enough is enough.

Advertisement
No way English calls anyone from Miami to join his staff.

The entire staff knows they're all lame ducks. They're starting to realize it's not a matter of time, but just a matter of when. I understand Corch L is leaving a lot money on the table if he were to just retire, but he needs to do the right thing for the University and negotiate his exit. It's time. Enough is enough.
The guy is stealing a pay check and it is disgraceful. I doubt money is the issue. I'd suspect it is ego and one more year to get it right. He is now well beyond that.

The guy is stealing a pay check and it is disgraceful. I doubt money is the issue. I'd suspect it is ego and one more year to get it right. He is now well beyond that.

Ls said repeatedly that he wants to coach indefinitely. He has to be painfully aware that if he walks away now, he'll never get another head coaching gig again; its the end of the ride. So he isn't going to walk away, he's going to try to pull this thing out of the ditch so he can continue to do what he enjoys.

I can't blame him for that, its not his job to fire himself. I can however, blame the AD (and BOT by extension) for allowing it to go on.

I am just being honest and I cannot solve everyone's problem between Coach L's desire to coach and Miami's need for a new coach now.
This is the best I can do.
I say "mutually agree to part ways" with Coach L and his staff immediately. Pay their salaries for the rest of the time on their contracts unless they find another job.
If they find another job, Miami should pay the prorated difference.
Hire a new head coach and staff. Let them start adding 5 grad transfers with 1 year of eligibility left, 2 regular transfers with 2 years of eligibility left, 1 regular transfer with 3 years of eligibility left and two 2021 high school seniors to complete the roster for the upcoming season.
Then the new head coach needs to recruit those 5 kids I mentioned in the 2022 recruiting thread (#158).
There is way too much talent in South Florida and the State of Miami in the next two recruiting cycles for Miami to be wasting time with this staff that does not recruit Florida kids.
That is the best solution to this situation.
If Coach L wants to coach, it is up to him and his agent to find him a job. There are jobs open currently at all levels of college.

Last edited:
Advertisement
If Coach L wants to coach, it is up to him and his agent to find him a job. There are jobs open currently at all levels of college.
Following up on Incane's salient points, all Coach L has to do if he "wants to coach" is keep on keepin on. No AD or BOT is likely to say NO and force it prematurely... of course if he's under .500 again next year that could very well sway a few. But as of right now, don't hold your breath that he will "mutually agree" it is best to leave here early.

Following up on Incane's salient points, all Coach L has to do if he "wants to coach" is keep on keepin on. No AD or BOT is likely to say NO and force it prematurely... of course if he's under .500 again next year that could very well sway a few. But as of right now, don't hold your breath that he will "mutually agree" it is best to leave here early.

Yeah. I understand that.
Going .500 means that is now 4 straight losing seasons and he will add more transfers because he does not recruit in-state and he missed on 20 kids from the DMV and NE.
More people will want him fired and I will think we waited one year too long.
Coach L will want a contract extension so it does not impact recruiting but it will get declined so he continues to be a lame duck while his losing season streak continues.
Sure, it's a hard job but someone gets paid to fire him.
Like it or not.
Mutually agree to part ways is easier.

Advertisement
Coach L is speaking to the media Thursday. Hmm.

It is season 3 of this mess. He will trot out the excuses. Blake James will sit on 10 phonebooks so he can see over the table. There will be no difficult questions from the local media.

All is well in the world.

Looking forward to nobody in the media asking him tough questions about roster management.
"It was a tough year due to all the injuries. I've never seen anything like it in my career." We'll hear a bunch of the same excuses, and no one in the media will ask him anything of substance other than "do you have a decision from any of your seniors"?

Looking forward to nobody in the media asking him tough questions about roster management.

"We'll now open up to questions, starting with Susan Miller Degnan, Susan go ahead."

"Jim, have you seen any good movies since the quarantine started?"

Head Explode GIF by memecandy

Advertisement
"We'll now open up to questions, starting with Susan Miller Degnan, Susan go ahead."

"Jim, have you seen any good movies since the quarantine started?"

Head Explode GIF by memecandy
"We'll now go to Michelle Kaufman, Michelle go ahead"

"Hey Jim, talk about the spirit your team displayed during the ACC tournament. Winning 2 games and nearly a 3rd with just 6 scholarship players was quite a feat. They never quit!"

Advertisement

Hopefully, the dominos fall in our favor and Caputo along with Courtney get assistant jobs somewhere else and Coach L resigns.

There's a 99.9% chance Larranaga doesn't resign any time soon. Only way Larranaga doesn't come back for next season is if he gets fired and that doesn't seem likely at this point. This staff is telling everyone they aren't going anywhere and they're looking to turn things around.

Was Shaka fired or is Texas, like us with Haith, happy to move on/no buyout necessary?
Lots of boosters at Texas have wanted Shaka out for some time now. He's been feeling the pressure since he got there. The lost to Abilene just exasperated things and it looks like Texas is ok to see him go. Texas is losing a lot next season and this seems like a good time for Shaka to make a move.

By the way, it's a done deal. Shaka is going to Marquette.

Very doubtful that it would happen, but Texas would flip the college basketball world upside down if they gave Rick Pitino the job. Scary proposition to think what Pitino could do there with the unlimited resources Texas has to offer.

Advertisement
Back