Realistic coaching candidates

Advertisement
Both are logical names to be interested in.
Heard Seth Greenberg on the radio talking about Texas. Sounds like they have the same support apathy with basketball that all football schools seem to suffer from.

With what they'd have to pay Pearl or Musselman, I guess they still have enough $$ resources to go after the top tier of coaches, just as a matter of pride. We're not in that boat.

Another coaching vacancy, let's hope Caputo gets the job.

Word is Shay was basically forced out by ETSU higher-ups due to pressure from local politicians (in a deeply red politically NE TN) as a result of Shay backing his players for kneeling during the anthem in protest this season. Johnson City itself is a pretty progressive town, but multiple politicians from across the state spoke out against the players' protest, and Shay stood by his players' decision to kneel - but it seemingly cost him his job in the end.

ETSU is a really good men's basketball job, but whoever the next coach ends up being is going to have to figure out a way to deal with that situation.

We've hit a new low for illogical and irrational bullchit.

I wonder what the following coaches are going to do:

Group #1 (Coaches 60+ Years Old)

1. Coach K (70+)
2. Roy Williams (70+)
3. John Calipari
4. Jim Boeheim (70+)
5. Dana Altman
6. Leonard Hamilton (70+)
7. Tom Izzo
8. Bob Huggins
9. Kelvin Sampson
10. Rick Pitino
11. Bruce Pearl

-----------------

Group #2 (Coaches 50 - 59)

1. Mark Few
2. Tony B
3. Jay Wright (turns 60 this year)
4. Scott Drew
5. Eric Musselman
6. Chris Mack
7. Matt Painter

-----------------

Group #3 (Coaches 40+)

1. Chris Beard
2. Mick Cronin

Above are pretty much the best coaches in the game. Even though they've dominated college basketball for a long time, they're now screwed because they "cannot relate nor talk to them in their language." How many of these coaches above had significant NBA playing careers in the last 10 years like Royal Ivey.

Never forget..."Any former NBA player is still better than any aged coach who can barely dribble a basketball."

I hope these coaches can do more than "barely dribble a basketball".

Totally missed the point. Let me keep it simple.

Going forward, for a school like Miami. It is better to get a coach with NBA ties or experience instead of a rethread who is coming to Coral Gables to get one last paycheck as he relocates to FL to start his retirement life.

Advertisement

Going forward, for a school like Miami. It is better to get a coach with NBA ties or experience instead of a rethread who is coming to Coral Gables to get one last paycheck as he relocates to FL to start his retirement life.

Let me keep it simple, that isn’t what you said and there are other options (e.g. good HCs with relevant experience).

But who says those are the only options to select a coach from? Neither option is appealing to me - coaches in their late 30s to early 50s who have proven to be able to build a program are the types of coaches that we should be looking at.

Juwan Howard is a huge outlier when it comes to coaches coming from the NBA over to college. And he had the sense to hire 66-year old Phil Martelli as his top assistant to get someone who knows all about building a program and keep another assistant coach that was on Beilien's staff. But the other recent examples aren't all that impressive - Chris Mullin failed at St. John's, Patrick Ewing (outside of the Big East tourney this year) has struggled at Georgetown. Kevin Ollie won the title early at UConn, but that program collapsed under him. Avery Johnson underachieved at Alabama. And that doesn't include going into smaller schools (like when Isiah Thomas was at FIU, Mark Price at Charlotte, etc.). There are more names listed in the article from Goodman below.

The only other guy I can think of outside of Howard where it worked was Fred Hoiberg when he was at Iowa St., but he was as successful at Iowa St. as he was because he figured out how to use the transfer portal better than anyone else when that started to become a thing. It's early in his tenure, but he certainly hasn't had the same success at Nebraska to date.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Let's be honest, Coach L "retired" three years ago. He is not going anywhere until his contract ends or he is fired. As a life-long Canes hoop fan, I simply cannot understand why the school does this repeatedly. As long as the team and players do not show up on the police blotter, they are left alone to win or fail. If I were the AD (or we had a competent one) I would fire/buy-out Coach L and the staff. I would hire a younger (35-45) number one assistant from a blue-blood program [personally I would take Duke associate head coach Jon Scheyer] and use a contract that makes his buy-out [leave us] cost well-above the typical range and increasing every year we keep him. In otherwords, I would structure the deal so that if it works for us, the guy is stuck here forever-like coach K at Duke. I know it would cost more, perhaps alot more, but solve your problem for a decade or more with a guy who comes from that very culture. Being in the ACC, in an NBA city, and the "NYC of the south" gives us capital to land top players. After doing that, go back to worrying about football as the hoops team climbs the ACC and national Rankings.

Advertisement
Roy is retiring after 2 subpar seasons (and they made the tourney this year, although by their standard they weren't good). It was just 3 seasons ago when UNC won the ACC.

Yet we've endured 3 straight seasons of pitiful basketball, and L isn't going anywhere. If he had any pride left, he would step aside.

But who says those are the only options to select a coach from?

I said the same thing. Don't waste your time.

The best coaches in college are NOT the coaches that had significant NBA careers (e.g. playing, not coaching as that poster indicated). In fact, Juwan Howard is NOT one of the best coaches in college. He may turn out to be good but he is far from one of the best coaches. Even if he was one of the best, the best coaches in the game (see post #380 in this thread) are not young former NBA players with significant NBA playing careers and no HC experience.

Advertisement
Juwan is the rarity. And, as you say, has great asstants, Martelli especially. We'll revisit in a few years but if I were an IU fan, I'd be very underwhelmed.

Juwan also only had ONE good season. Last season he was 19-12 (10-10). Before he is anointed as an elite coach, everyone should hold off fluffing him.

As for Woodson, I would be underwhelmed as an IU fan. I actually think he is a pretty good HC. He made the playoffs 5/9 seasons in the NBA and he wasn't exactly coaching in "good" organizations. With that said, he just turned 63 and is going to attempt to recruit HS for the first time. Good luck!

Advertisement
Back