REALIGNMENT MEGGGGAAAA THREAAAD

Is there a credible report anywhere that (1) The SEC is looking to go beyond 16 teams?, (2) that a big 10 school would possibly want to leave (impossible to me) or (3) that Carolina, Clemson or Virginia could even leave if they wanted to? I believe the acc has their schools locked in for another 10 years plus. Once the conferences hit sixteen schools, It's hard to go much higher and have any scheduling credibility or to grow the pie that much bigger so each school makes more money.

Not to mention, impossible for me to think that the state assemblies in North Carolina or Virginia would ever allow NC State or VA Tech to be orphaned.
i think you’re looking at it from a 2010 perspective. The shackles have been taken off and I don’t think any conference is going to stop at an arbitrary even number. Power and money is up for grabs and they will take what they can get. conferences are looking at how many big time schools they could bring to the bargaining table for tv rights. If a school or conference isn’t making moves, there won’t be any meaningful spots left when its over

Advertisement
Don't think there is any chance acc teams will peel off for the SEC. Grant of rights means whatever media money they might make in a new conference has to be given to the acc. I don't think Clemson or FSU will want to hand their SEC money to the ACC for the next decade.

In hindsight, that was miss. You could swap them in for NC State or Georgia Tech.
I don’t think that the Virginia and NC legislatures, respectively, would allow either of VA/VT and UNC/NCST to be left alone in this type of situation.

Dang… I skimmed through a lot of pages for no real news.
failed crash and burn GIF by truTV’s Bobcat Goldthwait’s Misfits & Monsters

The way the ACC treated ND, last season, really bothered me. They got that Duke and UNC treatment. Outside of the chance of beating those Irish ***** every year, I don’t like the idea of ND joining the ACC and the ACC pushing their agenda of ND playing in title game.
ND and WV being added to acc is best case scenario. a g5 aac team or a big 12 team not wv doesn’t help the acc out. we need a blue blood team like nd.

Advertisement
I don’t think that the Virginia and NC legislatures, respectively, would allow either of VA/VT and UNC/NCST to be left alone in this type of situation.
But oklahoma and tx legislation is allowing it? Ok st is fu@@@d

But oklahoma and tx legislation is allowing it? Ok st is fu@@@d
I don’t know. I lived in Virginia for many years and have also lived in NC and that’s my feeling on it. And the sentiment may be stronger in NC more so than in VA. Hard to tell except that VT hasn’t always been with UVA.

Advertisement
Guess we ***** over Georgia Tech then, lol.
Georgia, Texas and Oklahoma are not states i am familiar with. I’m very familiar with the VA legislature and have lived in both NC and VA. It’s my guess only that there will be political involvement in the latter two states to protect their flagship state schools (William and Mary excluded) in a do or die situation like the one we are reading about.

Don't think there is any chance acc teams will peel off for the SEC. Grant of rights means whatever media money they might make in a new conference has to be given to the acc. I don't think Clemson or FSU will want to hand their SEC money to the ACC for the next decade.

Some interesting **** in the last contract extension with ESPN:

"The ACC also extended its conference rights deal nine years through 2035-36.
The conference's grant of rights makes it financially untenable for a school to leave, guaranteeing in the 20 years of the deal that a school's media rights, including revenue, for all home games would remain with the ACC regardless of the school's affiliation.

The ACC's new grant of rights also automatically extends Notre Dame's contract with the conference as a member in all sports but football through 2035-36, a source said. If the Irish forgo football independence in the next 20 years, they will be contracted to join the ACC."

i think you’re looking at it from a 2010 perspective. The shackles have been taken off and I don’t think any conference is going to stop at an arbitrary even number. Power and money is up for grabs and they will take what they can get. conferences are looking at how many big time schools they could bring to the bargaining table for tv rights. If a school or conference isn’t making moves, there won’t be any meaningful spots left when its over
It's just math. You don't add new schools unless the payout per school grows. Once you are over 8 per division, hard to see the math work out.

Georgia, Texas and Oklahoma are not states i am familiar with. I’m very familiar with the VA legislature and have lived in both NC and VA. It’s my guess only that there will be political involvement in the latter two states to protect their flagship state schools (William and Mary excluded).
Georgia Tech is so far down what the state cares about. I say this without exaggeration but there is probably a more vested interest in Georgia Southern and Georgia State than Georgia Tech.

Advertisement
I don’t know. I lived in Virginia for many years and have also lived in NC and that’s my feeling on it. And the sentiment may be stronger in NC more so than in VA. Hard to tell except that VT hasn’t always been with UVA.
Basketball might play a role in NC and even VA - Dook, NC, UVA.

B12 is done:
ACC - TCU Baylor WV & ND
B1G - ISU, Kansas
PAC - The rest of the B12

Advertisement
I can see them protecting Duke as well.
Unless there’s a mass exodus, I just don’t see the Tobacco Road bunch bolting for another conference. And as it is today, why would Clemp$on leave? They’ve got **** near an automatic bid to the CFP. All the rest of the teams in the ACC - except for us - would get their asses kicked in the SEC.

ND and WV being added to acc is best case scenario. a g5 aac team or a big 12 team not wv doesn’t help the acc out. we need a blue blood team like nd.
ACC needs to do something. Right now, ND doesn’t. It’s going to be funny ND ***** around and end up in a different conference, when it’s all said and done.

Advertisement
Back