Rayshawn Jenkins Senior Highlights

LoL at the thought of this kid being soft. I don't think a "soft" player would deliver the hits that he did at the :45 and 1:45 marks.

Advertisement
LoL at the thought of this kid being soft. I don't think a "soft" player would deliver the hits that he did at the :45 and 1:45 marks.

LOL @ dismissing out of hand the views of people who see these kids play live and live Fla HS football and have shown themselves to be pretty solid evaluators over the years.

LOL @ dismissing out of hand the views of people who see these kids play live and live Fla HS football and have shown themselves to be pretty solid evaluators over the years.

I know its just a highlight tape, but nothing about that 6 minute long video indicates Jenkins being soft....at all. I was expecting to see a guy shy away from contact but this tape indicates quite the opposite.

I know its just a highlight tape, but nothing about that 6 minute long video indicates Jenkins being soft....at all. I was expecting to see a guy shy away from contact but this tape indicates quite the opposite.

He played in the smallest classification, against kids who will not go on to D1. The people who watched the state title game live saw a kid who they said wilted after a couple hits and avoided contact thereafter, and that was against N.Fla.Christian, which isn't exactly STA or MNW. Their take was this kid isn't ready to get hit by the kind of kids he's going to line up with and against at UM. Whether they're right or not, their view isn't inconsistent with a highlight tape made from clips against weak competition.

He played in the smallest classification, against kids who will not go on to D1. The people who watched the state title game live saw a kid who they said wilted after a couple hits and avoided contact thereafter, and that was against N.Fla.Christian, which isn't exactly STA or MNW. Their take was this kid isn't ready to get hit by the kind of kids he's going to line up with and against at UM. Whether they're right or not, their view isn't inconsistent with a highlight tape made from clips against weak competition.

who's the team leader on Farragut? probably Jenkins. He's also the best player on the team that made it to the state finals...weak classification or not, that's got to demonstrate something that can help us on the field.

Advertisement

who's the team leader on Farragut? probably Jenkins. He's also the best player on the team that made it to the state finals...weak classification or not, that's got to demonstrate something that can help us on the field.
I guess that's the question. You assume the answer. Hopefully you're right. But there are plenty of kids with the talent to outclass weak competition, but not the toughness to take the hits from the kind of competition he'll see at UM.

Okay, fair enough. However I think once this kid gets in the weight room and adds some size he will be be fine. Clearly, he isn't scared of hitting guys smaller than he is, as shown by the plays at the 45 and 1:45 marks.

Okay, fair enough. However I think once this kid gets in the weight room and adds some size he will be be fine. Clearly, he isn't scared of hitting guys smaller than he is, as shown by the plays at the 45 and 1:45 marks.

Hope you're right. Like I said, I was optimistic on him. But I don't have any personal basis to disagree with their take, and as I noted, when those two are that adamant and in agreement, they're usually onto something, in my recollection.

Advertisement
Well I won't be concerned about his willingness to take a hit since he's going to be dishing them out at Safety instead of receiving them as a ball carrier.

Well I won't be concerned about his willingness to take a hit since he's going to be dishing them out at Safety instead of receiving them as a ball carrier.

Then translate their comments as 'aversion to contact.' Not what you want in a safety.

Advertisement

Then translate their comments as 'aversion to contact.' Not what you want in a safety.
I agree.

I watched the state championship game as well. He balked at going over the middle early on. He didn't seem to be that interested in the game after that. Having said that, it was apparent after the very first series that AF was severely over-matched by NFC. That was the biggest disparity in talent between two teams that I have ever seen in a championship game. I don't know if Jenkins will be a star here or not, but that game makes me nervous. And, highlights at that level don't mean much to me. If his team was so over-matched in the championship game, I have to wonder about the talent of the kids he played against in these highlights.

Advertisement
He can't be as soft as Kacy Rogers was on that play against FSU....

That's the thing,though. I don't remember kacy Rogers being as soft in high school as kacy Rogers was on that play against FSU.

Didn't Kacy Rogers play corner in HS exclusively?

He should be a corner here. I'll be disappointed if I see him line up at safety this spring.

not fast enough to be corner

He can't be as soft as Kacy Rogers was on that play against FSU....

That's the thing,though. I don't remember kacy Rogers being as soft in high school as kacy Rogers was on that play against FSU.

Didn't Kacy Rogers play corner in HS exclusively?

He should be a corner here. I'll be disappointed if I see him line up at safety this spring.

not fast enough to be corner

He has enough speed for college football. UF won a championship with a corner running a 4.8, and he wasn't as big. Rogers is very good in press coverage.

Ray Ray's career has been very quiet. I don't recall many big plays and he certainly isn't the game changer many were certain he would be. Bad angles....not wrapping up....poor ball skills...poor route recognition. He needs to improve quite a bit before he call hope for an NFL future. Glad he stayed and didn't try to go in to the draft.

Advertisement
Back