Ray Ray Armstrong

All of the things you guys are saying about RayRay...from his poor coverage skills, to his lean frame, to his mediocre speed, etc. were all said about Alec Ogletree by UGA fans last year. And now he's playing inside linebacker in a 3-4 which is much more demanding than playing outside in a 4-3.. He was like 6'4 210 as a freshman also. Kid was flat out horrible, got abused weekly at safety. Now he's one of the better linebacker in the SEC, just sayin....

Now obviously everything is on a case by case basis, just pointing out some similarities.

Ogletree always looked thicker than Ray Ray. How big is he these days? He always looked like his frame was better built to put on weight than Ray Ray. I can't see Ray Ray gaining much "good" weight.

Advertisement
We need him more at safety than we do at linebacker.

Not sure what anyone saw out of AJ to make you think he should be starting.

All of the things you guys are saying about RayRay...from his poor coverage skills, to his lean frame, to his mediocre speed, etc. were all said about Alec Ogletree by UGA fans last year. And now he's playing inside linebacker in a 3-4 which is much more demanding than playing outside in a 4-3.. He was like 6'4 210 as a freshman also. Kid was flat out horrible, got abused weekly at safety. Now he's one of the better linebacker in the SEC, just sayin....

Now obviously everything is on a case by case basis, just pointing out some similarities.

Ogletree always looked thicker than Ray Ray. How big is he these days? He always looked like his frame was better built to put on weight than Ray Ray. I can't see Ray Ray gaining much "good" weight.

like 235 I think. He'll probably carry 240-245 easily next year.

bad instincts, bad tackler, average speed, average talent.

Not sure if he could be a good LB or not, but 1) he's not a good safety (it's just not his position), 2) he essentially played LB in HS.

Just sayin...

it also doesn't help any player in our secondary that our pass rush is basically non-existent. Deion Sanders would look like crap lined up 10 yards off the ball with zero pass rush.

Advertisement
it also doesn't help any player in our secondary that our pass rush is basically non-existent. Deion Sanders would look like crap lined up 10 yards off the ball with zero pass rush.

That's a good point. If Chick and Vernon take the next steps and we get decent interior DT play, our secondary will look better.

Advertisement

Agree that we struggled terribly to get any pressure rushing 4, but at the same time we were limited with what we could do in with blitz packages because of how weak the secondary was.

D'Onofrio chose to play soft on the outside to limit the big plays, that allowed for a lot of screens and short passes which essentialy negated any chance of a pass rush we had. At the end of the season we started playing the CB's closer to the LOS and brought a little more heat, but when the rush didn't get there we got toasted for some big plays.

RRA just doesn't have the range to cover the back end of the defense and showed that he takes terrible angles to the ball frequently running himself out of plays on screens. S isn't his thing, not sure LB is either, maybe TE, or ST contributor. The sad thing is we have little talent at S behind him so he likely start there again next year.

Advertisement
Rayray and VT will make a nice safety combo. Obviously not on the level Ed Reed and James Lewis, but they will be solid back there.

Rayray and VT will make a nice safety combo. Obviously not on the level Ed Reed and James Lewis, but they will be solid back there.

Nothing I've seen over the past few years leads me to believe the duo is anything more than serviceable. If they really do look solid, then a lot of credit goes to the coaching staff.

I only see good coming with 2 safeties returning playing together in the same defense. Not only do these coaches seem to promote an environment of improvement they also will more than likely TEACH our players more with another year. Aravious and Vernon back on this defense next year is $ fellas.

Advertisement
As much as I would prefer to see him play at OLB, i think we're just too late on that.. after all he will be a senior..
First teamers will likely be
Will-DP
Mike-Gaines
Sam-Buchanon

Second Teamers
Will-Paul/E.Johnson
Mike-Cain
Sam-Paul/E.Johnson

So Depth IS an issue here...

like 235 I think. He'll probably carry 240-245 easily next year.

Saw Ogletree play in person this year against GT. Kid is a specimen. He's easily 235, solid muscle and is very fluid in his movements.

**** of an athlete that I'd love to have.

Advertisement
Back