Ray Ray Armstrong

Advertisement
He's not a good tackler, he's terrible at understanding where he needs to be, his frame is actually thin, he's poor at thinking quickly. Which of these attributes screams "linebacker?"

Ray Ray is a good tackler. That's his best attribute. His only success this year was actually on special teams, and he looked pretty comfortable mixing it up.

Disagree about his frame. He actually has a strong lower body and he'd be 230 fairly quickly with a linebacker diet and regimen. That's plenty of size by our current standards.

At weakside backer, his coordination and coverage ability are upper-tier. The funny thing is that he's a smart guy, Academic All-ACC and good in the film room. He's just stubborn and goes rogue too often.

Nobody knows how he'll see the game from there, but I don't see any upside at safety and I see a flicker at linebacker.

Truth is, I bet he declares and an NFL team makes this decision for us.

I guess no one remembers Ray Ray's interview, I think with Manny, in the Spring or so before he showed up here. Talking about how he was working hard to keep the weight OFF and maintain what very little speed he has(for a safety). Kid could easily put on 20lbs if he was going for weight gain. And it's not like he would be looking like Takeo Spikes or anything. With his frame, he'd basically look like a taller version of Buchanon.

He's not a good tackler, he's terrible at understanding where he needs to be, his frame is actually thin, he's poor at thinking quickly. Which of these attributes screams "linebacker?"

Ray Ray is a good tackler. That's his best attribute. His only success this year was actually on special teams, and he looked pretty comfortable mixing it up.

Disagree about his frame. He actually has a strong lower body and he'd be 230 fairly quickly with a linebacker diet and regimen. That's plenty of size by our current standards.

At weakside backer, his coordination and coverage ability are upper-tier. The funny thing is that he's a smart guy, Academic All-ACC and good in the film room. He's just stubborn and goes rogue too often.

Nobody knows how he'll see the game from there, but I don't see any upside at safety and I see a flicker at linebacker.

Agree that his tackling is his best attribute but the main problem with Ray Ray is he has trouble getting in proper position to make any tackles. I don't know how he would adapt to the quicker reads required but I think it would allow him to show more of his natural talent, especially at Will. Chase the ball sideline to sideline.

Size-wise he may look different than your typical backer but I think he could put on some weight quite easily as well. And we know that you don't necessarily need to be a big dude to be successful (Exhibit A - Sean Spence).

Advertisement
I never understood the RR to LB talk, he doesnt have the frame or the smarts

question for Lu and Tano: Can he learn to play safety with some actual coaching + a full spring, summer, fall of practice?

I don't believe he has the attributes to be the type of versatile, cover safety we need.

D: Even if he got to 230, no leverage.

question for Lu and Tano: Can he learn to play safety with some actual coaching + a full spring, summer, fall of practice?

I don't believe he has the attributes to be the type of versatile, cover safety we need.

I'm not much of an X n Os guy but do you think he would do well at a place like VT play S but much closer to the line, like a 5th LB? (ie roy williams in the nfl)

I'm not much of an X n Os guy but do you think he would do well at a place like VT play S but much closer to the line, like a 5th LB? (ie roy williams in the nfl)

Yes. I think he'd be a much better rover than he is a Safety in a system that requires him to play in space, sink his hips, and generally cover.

Advertisement

Yes. I think he'd be a much better rover than he is a Safety in a system that requires him to play in space, sink his hips, and generally cover.

Greg Blue?

That's true; but do we even have that player on the squad? Beggars can't be choosers. Not sure we have a choice ...

/prays that Crawford is that guy.

Advertisement
I've given up on Rodgers after that play against FSU. Never seen such timid and bad ball skills from a UM player.

Advertisement
If you are counting on Rodgers to step up you are in a heap of trouble. Kid basically trotted his way to the sideline while quietly observing the ball float past him into the FSU WR's hands. That is all you need to know about Rodgers coverage skillz.

I think he could be a decent SS in a 3-3-5 system like WVU runs, and Michigan ran under RichRod where the SS plays closer to the LOS and on the edge of 'the box.'

If you are counting on Rodgers to step up you are in a heap of trouble. Kid basically trotted his way to the sideline while quietly observing the ball float past him into the FSU WR's hands. That is all you need to know about Rodgers coverage skillz.

Haha the kid made one mistake and that defines his skills... It was a bad mistake but the kid played pretty well in that game... I was one of the posters saying he choked but I dont think he's a bad player... VT and Ray will be our starters... We need both of them to step in make some plays in the passing game... Forget the Ray Ray to OLB talks... He's a safety... He must improve in coverage though... I'm fine with his run game, but against the pass he can be suspect... I doubt any of the recruits or shirted players will take his position so we need to support him and hope he takes the next step...

All of the things you guys are saying about RayRay...from his poor coverage skills, to his lean frame, to his mediocre speed, etc. were all said about Alec Ogletree by UGA fans last year. And now he's playing inside linebacker in a 3-4 which is much more demanding than playing outside in a 4-3.. He was like 6'4 210 as a freshman also. Kid was flat out horrible, got abused weekly at safety. Now he's one of the better linebacker in the SEC, just sayin....

Now obviously everything is on a case by case basis, just pointing out some similarities.

Advertisement
Back