Ray Ray Armstrong

Advertisement
Aravious would get handled by OL if he was a Lb. He is smaller than Spence, weaker, less intensity and plays too tall. Teams would just run iso's at him all day.

He's a linebacker like Kenny Tate is a linebacker.

But that doesn't mean he's a safety either.

Dude can play safety. When he's on he's good, just can't get his head in the game. Plays out of position too much, trying to make every play on his own half the time and lazy the other half. I hope he gets his **** together, because it would be a shame to see all that talent go to waste on the bench.

Advertisement
Someone school me please.

Are RRA's assignments on D really that complex or hard to understand? Why is it that he is virtually always out of position and not making plays? Simply just a dumb player?

He should be used as a Rover type, why you guys play him deep is beyond me. He's Major Wright with a bit more talent physically. Wright got abused when we asked him to play deep too. Once they let him be himself and asked Major to cover TE's, patrol the 5-7 yard area, and knock people out he became All-SEC.

You guys know where I stand on this one.

I actually don't. Humor me.

He doesn't have the body to carry another 25lbs. He just is what he is. Leave him at safety and hope the staff can get through to him that it's either follow your assignment, or go undrafted.

Advertisement
I'll say what I will say about any juniors or seniors changing position at this point. Unless they absolutely outgrow their position then stay where you are. Sooo sick of players playing out of position for the last 7 years. I probably wont see this until 2013 though because we cant just play 25 freshmen next year... or can we?

Ray and VT should be a lot better in year 2 under D'onofrio. Neither of them are exceptionally fast or good in coverage but they both routinely make plays around the line of scrimmage.

Corner remains the biggest concern on the team. Perhaps McGee and Finnie flourish as they gain more experience in this system.

Advertisement
I say leave Ray Ray at safety. Bring him up in the box on run downs and put him at LB on pass downs if we don't have LB's good enough to cover (I like Perryman in coverage). If they keep him deep on pass downs, let him play center field only. He's not a man/zone man type of safety.

It's too late to move him to LB. He isn't physical enough and doesn't have to experience to fight off blockers or make the right reads. It would be a disservice to him and the team at this point.

Ray Ray, Buchanon, and Forston are the most overrated overhyped busts on the team right now. Ray epitomizes everything that was wrong under the Shannon regime.

To me, i could careless if he stays or goes. He was too selfish to put on weight and turn into a LB for us. Now, he's Willie Cooper. The only drawback of him leaving early is that Shannon recruited so poorly behind him that we dont have anyone better to replace him unless Golden can make something out of noncontributors like Highsmith, Cornelius, Rodgers, etc, or some of his kids blow up early like Crawford or Armbrister.

Advertisement
Ray Ray, Buchanon, and Forston are the most overrated overhyped busts on the team right now. Ray epitomizes everything that was wrong under the Shannon regime.

Should've been at SS, maybe even FS as he definitely has the straight-speed for the spot (not sure laterally but can't be worse that VT or RR). He just never had the frame for LB, and even if the coaches though he did than redshirting was a necessity. IMO his talent was wasted here, hence not a bust.

Like Killa said Ray Ray's game is similar to Major Wright's... He's more of a run stopper... The way some of you make it seem is like he's a scrub... The kid is talented... He's good at stopping the run but struggles at times in pass coverage... The kid issue is that he is undisciplined at times... The kid is talented and linebacker is not in his future... And why would someone call him selfish because he didnt gain weight to play lb? Was that even a realistic option? Wright was really bad in pass coverage at UF... I recall Ole Miss abusing him a bit in 08, but he was still productive because they rarely put him position to be exploited...

Ray Ray's issue stems from just learning the position... He plays the run well, but he gets a bit impatient... I remember the UVA game on the half back pass... I'm not that upset with him because plays like that are designed to catch the D off guard but he was bated in... He saw the back with the ball and just assumed he was going to run... Thats just being impatient... You're already 30 yards down the field, even if it was a run you're not going to prevent him from getting positive yards... Thats an example of him trying to make plays by himself... The kid will be alright... Who ever is a returning starter or heavy rotation player will be the ones playing the most next year... So there must be an improvement on their fronts... VT and Ray will be starting so they need to get the D down...

It's probably too late in his career to switch him to LB, but I also agree with Lu about putting him in space repeatedly.

Advertisement
Back