NFL Ravens fans

Memnon

Dejazmach
Premium

Don't know how many other Ravens fans there are on the board besides @jw410 & I think @kryptonite, but what yall think about our 1st round haul?

I absolutely love the trade backs from 16, to 22 to 25 & then moving back up to get Lamar. I think we're a perfect fit for him, he can sit & learn under Flacco for a year or two until that huge cap eating contract runs out & be developed in the system.

And Ozzie said at the combine that they view him as a QB not a WR, so he's not switching positions either.

Advertisement
Lamar is a risk and he needs time to get stronger, develop his body some more and learn the intricacies of being an NFL QB, but as long as he gets the time and they don’t throw him to the wolves, this could pay dividends down the road. His arm is actually pretty good if you’ve ever watched him throw.

Contrast to the Browns and Mayfield. Another guaranteed Browns QB bust, as I mentioned in another thread. He’ll get thrown to the wolves right away in the usual Browns fashion. Mayfield has no shot to ever be a good NFL QB.

I say this knowing he has a lot of moon-eyed fanboys on this site.

I'm not necessarily a Raven fan, but I do pull for them in the AFC. The company that I worked at for over 6 years was started by Steve Bisciotti and his cousin James Davis. Technically, that organization (Allegis Group) owns the Ravens. James oversees the company, while Steve oversees the Ravens. During the 6 year span of me working there, I attended about 4 of their home games a year as part of our bonus program. I got a chance to sit in the owners press box twice. Steve is cool as ****!!! I got very familiar with the team and the culture.

With that being said, I think Baltimore is the perfect fit for Lamar. The system fits him, but equally or more important, Harbaugh and Bisciotti are great leaders and really care about their players. They will give him the tools to not just be successful on the field but also once he leaves football. I look forward to following his career with the Ravens.

I'm not necessarily a Raven fan, but I do pull for them in the AFC. The company that I worked at for over 6 years was started by Steve Bisciotti and his cousin James Davis. Technically, that organization (Allegis Group) owns the Ravens. James oversees the company, while Steve oversees the Ravens. During the 6 year span of me working there, I attended about 4 of their home games a year as part of our bonus program. I got a chance to sit in the owners press box twice. Steve is cool as ****!!! I got very familiar with the team and the culture.

With that being said, I think Baltimore is the perfect fit for Lamar. The system fits him, but equally or more important, Harbaugh and Bisciotti are great leaders and really care about their players. They will give him the tools to not just be successful on the field but also once he leaves football. I look forward to following his career with the Ravens.

I could tell you were in some form of corporate marketing/management, didn’t know it was on talent end. That’s one of the big names with their acquisitions and mergers. Are you still in that line or did you change to another field?

btw, that was a **** of a nice perk

Advertisement
Lamar is a risk and he needs time to get stronger, develop his body some more and learn the intricacies of being an NFL QB, but as long as he gets the time and they don’t throw him to the wolves, this could pay dividends down the road. His arm is actually pretty good if you’ve ever watched him throw.

Contrast to the Browns and Mayfield. Another guaranteed Browns QB bust, as I mentioned in another thread. He’ll get thrown to the wolves right away in the usual Browns fashion. Mayfield has no shot to ever be a good NFL QB.

I say this knowing he has a lot of moon-eyed fanboys on this site.
Agree on Mayfield, I compared him to Chase Daniel as a player. Baker is a successful college QB but has big question marks due to lack of size, small hands & questionable off the field traits. Kid is big time into himself, confidence is good, but Dbag arrogance is dangerous.

The Ravens QB coach is James Urban, he coached under Andy Reid in Philly from 04-10, he was a big part in developing Donovan McNabb & Michael Vick the year they had when they went to the playoffs. This pick of Lamar had a lot to do with him & OC Marty Mornhinweg (who coached Geno Smith his rookie year with the Jets) understanding that they can fix his mechanics & mold him to be a better QB. They're both Mike Holmgren/Andy Reid disciples & those guys are old school QB developers.

Last edited:

That's great sh*t reg. And I became a Ravens fan because of Ray Lewis primarily, when I was a lil jit I first came up watching those mid 90's Canes & Ray was always one of my fav players. So I just kept up on him to the league, but also guys like Duane Starks, Ed Reed, McGahee, Tavares Gooden, Streeter & Berry over the years so I just always liked the Ravens.

As a huge ravens fan (born/raised in bmore and currently living here), I have mixed feelings about this pick. We do need a qb of the future but I worry about his passing accuracy. Like most of you guys say about HS recruiting, you can't teach accuracy. Only time will tell.

Advertisement
I could tell you were in some form of corporate marketing/management, didn’t know it was on talent end. That’s one of the big names with their acquisitions and mergers. Are you still in that line or did you change to another field?

btw, that was a **** of a nice perk
At the time, I was an Account Manager (Information Technology Sales) for TEKsystems, which is the I.T. staffing company for Allegis Group. I have since moved on from the organization. I am still an Account Manager, I just moved out of Sales. I could not take the burden of being away from my kids as much as the previous job demanded.

It was a nice perk indeed. If I hit a certain mark, we would get sideline tickets. If I hit the "Platinum" level, we would sit in the owners box.

Last edited:
That's great sh*t reg. And I became a Ravens fan because of Ray Lewis primarily, when I was a lil jit I first came up watching those mid 90's Canes & Ray was always one of my fav players. So I just kept up on him to the league, but also guys like Duane Starks, Ed Reed, McGahee, Tavares Gooden, Streeter & Berry over the years so I just always liked the Ravens.
Having 2, arguably 3 Miami Hall of Famers on their team made it even better. Ray Lewis is as intense as he seems, but I would argue that Reed is even more intense; the cameras just don't pick it up as often as they do with Ray.

At one of National Sales conference, John Harbaugh and Jim Harbaugh were our guest speakers, along with the father. This took place in May right after they had just coached against each other in the Super Bowl. John and his dad gave Jim the hardest of times on that stage. They are competitive as ****. It was like watching two middle schoolers in the lunch room go at each other. Lol

Last edited:
Agree on Mayfield, I compared him to Chase Daniel as a player. Baker is a successful college QB but has big question marks due to lack of size, small hands & questionable off the field traits. Kid is big time into himself, confidence is good, but Dbag arrogance is dangerous.

The Ravens QB coach is James Urban, he coached under Andy Reid in Philly from 04-10, he was a big part in developing Donovan McNabb & Michael Vick the year they had when they went to the playoffs. This pick of Lamar had a lot to do with him & OC Marty Mornhinweg (who coached Geno Smith his rookie year with the Jets) understanding that they can fix his mechanics & mold him to be a better QB. They're both Mike Holmgren/Andy Reid disciples & those guys are old school QB developers.

I can’t think of a better development situation for him to be in, honestly.

It sounds like a perfect landing spot. Anywhere else, he might get thrown in too early, develop bad habits, gets down on himself, career over. To me, he has tremendous potential but needs development and for whatever reason, I don’t think Petrino did a great job with him. Yes, I know he won the Heisman. I’m aware of the stats. But Petrino is a user. He developed what he needed from Jackson for the short term.

I believe he needs an intensive year of learning from those guys with minimal use this year and start breaking him in next year.

As far as far as Mayfield, great college QB, but peaked in college. Small hands, not as athletic as people say he is, will get folded up in the NFL, just not an NFL quality QB. His “leadership” rah rah bullshlt will get laughed at by NFL veterans.

Another Browns LOL pick

@LCE I can't lie I was like wtf at first because we traded back, but we picked up Hurst who looks like he's gonna kill with YAC and Joe's replacement (hopefully).

Got the early round 3 chip so I still think we grab a solid player or two tonight.

Advertisement
As a rule, I don't approve of taking a QB in the first round. They bust far too often to be worth the money. Part of that view comes from watching the Ravens win consistently by putting their money and top picks into defense while the Browns of the world waste a ton of money on bust QBs.

That said, I don't think this was a bad one. As others have noted, he'll have time to sit behind Flaco and learn. Half the trouble is that teams expect these guys to be saviours on day one and very few of them can do it. Anyway, maybe I'm just being a homer but I think this was a good pick at that position.

As an eagles fan, I say thank you. The Raven's tweet left out the 2019 2nd round pick to Eagles. I don't share your views on Lamar. I think he is more Terrell Pryor not Donovan McNabb. And at least Terrell won in college.

Bless your hearts.

giphy-7.gif

Advertisement
Honestly just happy they didn't select Derwin James at 16, albeit, Hurst at 25 wasn't the guy who I thought they would go with but I'll take the wins as they come

Lots of great Canes played in Baltimore Bubbs. Always the team I rooted for after the Bucs were out of playoff contention (usually by week 10)

Advertisement
Back